Hello from Central Texas

Sredder

Hi all, and thank you for accepting my request to join the forum. I'm Susan from Corsicana TX and my husband and I have started studying on ebikes that can be ridin' in pasture and lite trails. We are in our early 50's and have slowed down a bit and sure don't like it :). Anyhow, sure do look forward to reading and researching the best product for us as we plan to purchase 2.

Welcome to the forum! Riding an ebike in a pasture? Granted I don't know anything about pastures (city boy here) but I imagine they would be quite rough and uneven. You'd probably need something like a mountain bike with suspension and wide knobby tires.

Have you got a price range in mind? Do you have riding experience with regular non-electric bikes? If so, what kind of bike works for you on those surfaces?

Welcome to the forum! Riding an ebike in a pasture? Granted I don't know anything about pastures (city boy here) but I imagine they would be quite rough and uneven. You'd probably need something like a mountain bike with suspension and wide knobby tires.

Have you got a price range in mind? Do you have riding experience with regular non-electric bikes? If so, what kind of bike works for you on those surfaces?
Hi Mtl_Biker,
Those are very good questions and thank you for helping focus us. Been reading many subjects and posts and have gotten a little overwhelmed with all the configurations and accessories. I need to get the laptop and a legal pad out to make notes on what members say that I can research further. Bike manufacturers, configurations and such that look like they are what we need. Boy oh boy so much to choose from.

In the past we've we've ridin' regular 10 speeds. This has been long ago and only on street surfaces. We have a Honda 4 wheeler but really would like more exercise. So the mountain type ebike style is what we have looked at so far.

As for budget, and since we want two, we'd like to keep a max of 6k total. I don't know if that is realistic for quality ebikes. I've seen a variety of pricing.

Thanks again for welcoming us and any direction as we start this selection is greatly appreciated.

I've ridden my cargo bike with 26" wheels around my fields, and the 2" tires cope with johnson grass clumps adequately. I imagine a suspension would help even more, possibly fat tires. I haven't ridden any bike in Texas fields, but I used to hike around them on band & ROTC excursions. I think the molehills are worse here than in Texas, but things could have changed. We don't get prarie dog or amadillo holes. I have a geared hub motor I installed on the front, where the battery is.
If you are tall, 29" or 700 cc tires would help even more evening out the bumps. Definitely you want a selection of lower speed sprockets. My bike goes down to 32:32 which is 1 mph, with 3 front & 8 rear sprockets. The 8 speed chain lasts longer than thinner versions with 9 or 11 speeds in the back. 48 tooth rear sprockets on MTB are useful for mountain climbing, which I would not imagine you would do in Texas East of Odessa. Throttles are handy for uneven speeds off road.
The magnum navigator is a 27.5" bike with a front suspension and long chain life 8 speed rear cluster. https://www.magnumbikes.com/product/magnum-navigator/ Magnum is a bit more expensive than some brands like M2s, but has dealers that would be responsible for maintenance if there was an electrical bug. The navigator has a rack for a small collection of fence tools. Also a throttle. I think they were asking $2300 list?
If you want to carry more, magnum & m2s have stretch cargo versions with geared hub motors, not as small as mine. I carry sometimes 8' boards, tee posts, or water pipe with my yubabike, using a loop of string off the handlebar and a 18"x36" aluminum angle frame on top of the kiddie car seat rack on my bike. I've carried a 6000 btu air conditioner, I imagine a hay bale would fit crossways, too.

Last edited:
I've ridden my cargo bike with 26" wheels around my fields, and the 2" tires cope with johnson grass clumps adequately. I imagine a suspension would help even more, possibly fat tires. I haven't ridden any bike in Texas fields, but I used to hike around them on band & ROTC excursions. I think the molehills are worse here than in Texas, but things could have changed. We don't get prarie dog or amadillo holes. I have a geared hub motor I installed on the front, where the battery is.
If you are tall, 29" or 700 cc tires would help even more evening out the bumps. Definitely you want a selection of lower speed sprockets. My bike goes down to 32:32 which is 1 mph, with 3 front & 8 rear sprockets. The 8 speed chain lasts longer than thinner versions with 9 or 11 speeds in the back. 48 tooth rear sprockets on MTB are useful for mountain climbing, which I would not imagine you would do in Texas East of Odessa. Throttles are handy for uneven speeds off road.
The magnum navigator is a 27.5" bike with a front suspension and long chain life 8 speed rear cluster. https://www.magnumbikes.com/product/magnum-navigator/ Magnum is a bit more expensive than some brands like M2s, but has dealers that would be responsible for maintenance if there was an electrical bug. The navigator has a rack for a small collection of fence tools. Also a throttle. I think they were asking $2300 list?
If you want to carry more, magnum & m2s have stretch cargo versions with geared hub motors, not as small as mine. I carry sometimes 8' boards, tee posts, or water pipe with my yubabike, using a loop of string off the handlebar and a 18"x36" aluminum angle frame on top of the kiddie car seat rack on my bike. I've carried a 6000 btu air conditioner, I imagine a hay bale would fit crossways, too.

Hi, what wonderful specific information!!! I am grateful. After many years we have finally put a contract on 25 acres. We will close in a few weeks. It's unimproved, but not unruly. Pasture, trees, pond, and one of the first thing is trails. Will take time and elbow grease, but the ability to use an ebike will really help this gal out. I will go look at your suggestion right away.

Hi Mtl_Biker,
Those are very good questions and thank you for helping focus us. Been reading many subjects and posts and have gotten a little overwhelmed with all the configurations and accessories. I need to get the laptop and a legal pad out to make notes on what members say that I can research further. Bike manufacturers, configurations and such that look like they are what we need. Boy oh boy so much to choose from.

In the past we've we've ridin' regular 10 speeds. This has been long ago and only on street surfaces. We have a Honda 4 wheeler but really would like more exercise. So the mountain type ebike style is what we have looked at so far.

As for budget, and since we want two, we'd like to keep a max of 6k total. I don't know if that is realistic for quality ebikes. I've seen a variety of pricing.

Thanks again for welcoming us and any direction as we start this selection is greatly appreciated.
I'm in Canada and the prices of bikes is completely different, but I'm sure that you will have plenty of quality options available for you well within your price range.

One of the most important things when buying an ebike (my strong opinion) is to have a good local dealer. And ebike often needs more service and attention than a regular bike and having a good dealer to advise you and help you is worth its weight in gold. I'd also strongly suggest you actually ride (or at least sit on) the bike you eventually plan to get, in exactly the make/model and SIZE you plan to get. A bike must feel comfortable to you. And again a good dealer is invaluable.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that the choice of bike brand is less important than having a good dealer to back you. There must be some great dealer choices in Dallas for example.

And even a big name brand like Giant (Fathom E+) would be within your budget and buying two of them would probably entice the dealer to lower the price and/or throw in extras. I doubt you'll become hard-core mountain bikers so all you need is a comfortable bike that'll handle the trails and pastures you plan on riding.

Again, good luck with your choice.

I'm in Canada and the prices of bikes is completely different, but I'm sure that you will have plenty of quality options available for you well within your price range.

One of the most important things when buying an ebike (my strong opinion) is to have a good local dealer. And ebike often needs more service and attention than a regular bike and having a good dealer to advise you and help you is worth its weight in gold. I'd also strongly suggest you actually ride (or at least sit on) the bike you eventually plan to get, in exactly the make/model and SIZE you plan to get. A bike must feel comfortable to you. And again a good dealer is invaluable.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that the choice of bike brand is less important than having a good dealer to back you. There must be some great dealer choices in Dallas for example.

And even a big name brand like Giant (Fathom E+) would be within your budget and buying two of them would probably entice the dealer to lower the price and/or throw in extras. I doubt you'll become hard-core mountain bikers so all you need is a comfortable bike that'll handle the trails and pastures you plan on riding.

Again, good luck with your choice.
Yes, we need to make a trip up to Dallas. I've looked and there seems to be several in North Dallas area. I'll make some calls and we can go up. I think that's exactly where to start. And you're correct I do believe hard core isn't in the cards for us. Out in nature with our dogs is our speed. Everyone has been so fantastic on this forum!! So glad o found y'all.

Back