Hello from Central NY! Muscular Dystrophy can't hold me back!!

TAZMANIMAN

I know I wasn't able to buy the best electric bikes out there but after a month of research I finally pulled the trigger on two X-Treme Sedona 48v 10ah step through electric mountain bikes for my wife and I. I had ridden my bike a lot during my younger days and also the wife and I took up bike riding ten years ago when we were first married. My history is I'm a 50 year old man with Muscular Dystrophy all my life. When we would ride it was most often on the Erie canal path that travels through much of NY. The riding is mostly flat and smooth so I am able to pedal along ok. The Muscular Dystrophy kicks in when hills or difficult pedaling is needed. In the past I would have to hop off and walk the bike through or up the section. I just rode one of our electric bikes around my yard and when I came in the house I broke down and cried. This is the closest to normal I have ever felt on a bike. I am able to pedal around the grass in my yard with pedal assist only set at 1 and it is like nothing I have ever experienced! I am so excited to enter this new venture and look forward to all the new places we will be riding. We stay off of roads that are paved or "main" roads because it just seems so dangerous nowadays with the advent of cell phones. Now we have many places that have dirt roads networked and more desolate areas that we would have avoided in the past. I cannot express how utterly wonderful and magnificent this experience is!

Phenomenal, Tazmaniman! Your persistence is awesome. Looking forward to hearing more about you and your wife's ebike adventures. Please load a couple of pics of your new bikes when you have a moment. And thank your for joining our EBR Family :)

I know I wasn't able to buy the best electric bikes out there but after a month of research I finally pulled the trigger on two X-Treme Sedona 48v 10ah step through electric mountain bikes for my wife and I. I had ridden my bike a lot during my younger days and also the wife and I took up bike riding ten years ago when we were first married. My history is I'm a 50 year old man with Muscular Dystrophy all my life. When we would ride it was most often on the Erie canal path that travels through much of NY. The riding is mostly flat and smooth so I am able to pedal along ok. The Muscular Dystrophy kicks in when hills or difficult pedaling is needed. In the past I would have to hop off and walk the bike through or up the section. I just rode one of our electric bikes around my yard and when I came in the house I broke down and cried. This is the closest to normal I have ever felt on a bike. I am able to pedal around the grass in my yard with pedal assist only set at 1 and it is like nothing I have ever experienced! I am so excited to enter this new venture and look forward to all the new places we will be riding. We stay off of roads that are paved or "main" roads because it just seems so dangerous nowadays with the advent of cell phones. Now we have many places that have dirt roads networked and more desolate areas that we would have avoided in the past. I cannot express how utterly wonderful and magnificent this experience is!

Hello Tazmaniman, Welcome and thank you for sharing. Keep us informed as you and your wife hit the trails.

John from CT

Did about 13 miles our first ride. Had a great time and body isn't killing me! Did feel the cardiovascular working and anyone who thinks you won't exercise is misinformed, with that said it was simply awesome. Covered twice the ground we would have with the time we had.

Couple shots of our new bikes!

Attachments

• 20180602_195522.jpg
    20180602_195522.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 489
  • 20180602_195536.jpg
    20180602_195536.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 478
We did 32 miles on Sunday on the Erie canal trail! We are definitely in love with bike riding again!

Hello, Wow ! What great looking trails, I'm jealous : ) A thought on the tires that came on your bikes. If your riding is primarily paved trails or hard packed rails to trails at some point I'd consider changing to a less aggressive tread. I had the same knobbies on my e-bike, made the change and absolutely don't regret it one bit. My number one priority was flat protection ( and smoother riding with less rolling resistance. )

My tire of choice was the Schwalbe Plus MTB ( link below ) and I've been very pleased. They grip well, secure on hard packed rails to trails and the center tread rolls much smoother on pavement with almost no road 'buzz' felt in my hands as compared to my stock knobbies. Schwalbe is a premier tire maker. I purchased my tires from a Germain Bike website ( link below ) and saved a considerable amount even with shipping. I wanted the widest tire in the Marathon Plus MTB line. In the US that size was 29 x 2.10, bike 24.com offered a 29 x.2.25 which I purchased. Good luck

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/marathon_plus_mtb

www.bike24.com

John from CT

For now I like these Kenda tires. The railroad bed near our home is much softer in areas almost like beach sand and these tires have so far done a great job. I do appreciate the recommendations, those tires look nice!

For now I like these Kenda tires. The railroad bed near our home is much softer in areas almost like beach sand and these tires have so far done a great job. I do appreciate the recommendations, those tires look nice!

I understand completely. I'm very happy you're really enjoying your bikes. All the best.

John from CT

As someone with COPD, I can't walk a half-mile without getting so out-of-breath that I have to sit down. On an ebike, I can ride over 25 miles, because I can let the bike do more of the work without having to stop while I catch my breath (or find a place to sit LOL.) I'm getting healthful exercise, my cardio conditioning has noticeably improved, I'm losing some weight, I can do things around the house without gasping for breath that I couldn't before. For people with a condition like yours or mine, ebikes are a dream come true. I have mobility again that I had lost, and it sounds like the same for you!

All while doing something I loved doing while I was growing up! Heck I feel like I'm starting over in my biking life, this is exciting!
Today we rode from Macedon to Rochester (and back). It is an absolutely beautiful part of the canal system and a lot of paved trail which is always a longevity bonus! A couple more trips and we will be to Niagara Falls and Buffalo area! 36 miles today, our longest ride to date but our butts are whooped!

Back