Hello for Phoenix

Athena

Basically I am a motorcyclist, but in temps of 117 F somehow the inclination to ride goes down. So I picked up a used Izip Mountain Trailz AL (women's) to get some hot air. I have two battery packs and this thing, as everyone says is heavy for a bike, 100 lbs, but compared to the cycles light. So I hope to keep up with available products for a discontinued model.

@Athena, many electric bike riders have gotten their start on those SLA powered ebikes! Heavy as they may be (more like 80-85lbs with 2 packs, 65 with 1). Definitely feel for you trying to ride in those crazy temps; we saw 110 in Central Texas about a week ago with steady 100+ for about 30 days this summer, so an ebike is a must have :).

Besides looking at discontinued models, consider year end close-outs, prior rental bikes or other used ebikes for your next one. If it's been a few years since one model was discontinued it can be a challenge to get it serviced, like the Mtn. TrailZ you have; particularly if it's one with a lot of "techie" goodies. Those can be harder to find support for.

Keep those battery packs charged but not on the charger 24/7, that will damage them. With this heat, bring your batteries indoors to charge where it's a little cooler. Let the packs cool off for 30 minutes to an hour, then charge. Hot batteries or charging in a hot space doesn't let them charge to full; you'll notice a drop in the range. Watch your tire pressure and allow for the higher outdoor temps so you don't over inflate them. Regular wiping off of the chain and fresh lube with all of this heat will keep the bike running better and slow wear on the drivetrain. With a little TLC, that 'Zip will keep going for a long time.

We have a nice Guide for buying used ebikes that will help you with your next e-wheels.
And, please stay Hydrated!

Back