Hello everyone, new ebike rider in Portland, OR

KLamond

Hello everyone, saying hi from Portland, in the Pacific Northwest.

My wife and I got our first ebikes last week and our looking forward to exploring Portland on bike. For myself I got a E-Lux Sierra GT. It is a folding, 20 inch wheel fat tire bike. My wife got a more traditional style ebike, a Giant Lafree e+ 2 step through frame bike. We were lucky enough to try out several bikes from a local ebike store, Cynergy Bikes, before deciding on the two we got.

Let me know if you have any tips on good bike trails to ride around Portland.

Keith

Attachments

• E-luxBike.jpg
    E-luxBike.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 362
  • GiantLafree.jpg
    GiantLafree.jpg
    797.7 KB · Views: 362
As far as I know eBikes are allowed on the same paths as regular bikes in Portland, at least that is how I understood it when I lived there and rode my eBike in and around the city. Not sure of the status these days but the Leif Erikson road in Forest Park is a nice way to see the park as an out and back. Best idea is to be cautious and courteous to all other trail users no matter where you ride.

Also if you don't mind driving a bit the Banks/Vernonia trail is a nice out and back ride. I always used the Rt. 26 trailhead.

you can ride on any road or bike path with a e bike in portland. I have done it for a year now. many years on a regular bike before. I bought both of my bikes from Cynergy. Would have bought our tandem from them but they stopped stocking it. here is a pic of the Tilikum Crossing and the Sellwood-Moreland bridge from the Riverview
cemetery.

IMG_1578.jpg
IMG_1705.jpg

Several years ago, I rode my analog bike over the Sellwood bridge. Scared the crap out of me, as I didn't want to ride in the auto lane, and the sidewalk was interrupted by light poles about every 30 feet, leaving about 6 inches of pavement to ride on. (Was visiting a buddy in Portland--from Bellingham). I went through 9th grade in Portland, and used to roller skate at the Sellwood amazement park. (It was more amazing than amusing). Are you on a new bridge? Did they replace the old one?

Several years ago, I rode my analog bike over the Sellwood bridge. Scared the crap out of me, as I didn't want to ride in the auto lane, and the sidewalk was interrupted by light poles about every 30 feet, leaving about 6 inches of pavement to ride on. (Was visiting a buddy in Portland--from Bellingham). I went through 9th grade in Portland, and used to roller skate at the Sellwood amazement park. (It was more amazing than amusing). Are you on a new bridge? Did they replace the old one?
not sure of they replaced or made it better a huge bike lane and super wide sidewalk on each side.

Back