Headlight on st2

BK.jpg

. Kurt S, for me personally, it's hard wired or nothing. I commute to work daily, so having a no=fuss accessories is a must.
. Kurt S, for me personally, it's hard wired or nothing. I commute to work daily, so having a no=fuss accessories is a must.
I added a Niterider 1100 boost to the hardwired OEM light. I only put it on if I'm planning specifically to ride at night. The OEM one certainly works, but the Niterider makes it much safer to travel at high speed. I wish I could have found a hardwired version that I could replace the original with, but there is a limited amount of available current and nothing I could find was any better than the Supernova.

I added a Niterider 1100 boost to the hardwired OEM light. I only put it on if I'm planning specifically to ride at night. The OEM one certainly works, but the Niterider makes it much safer to travel at high speed. I wish I could have found a hardwired version that I could replace the original with, but there is a limited amount of available current and nothing I could find was any better than the Supernova.

@Chuck E. Cheese , @Stromer2work ,

The ST2 uses sophisticated CANBUS system.

I got hold of the tech experts and they sent me this drawing. The CANBUS port shows 12V outlet but the exact amperage is not available.
My hunch is that it should be able to power ~1A or slightly more. I highly recommend some of the advanced Supernova or Light & Motion lights.

Check this drawing.

Stromer wiring.JPG

For biking on road: If you disagree with the M99 series, check out the Lupine SL A 900 Lumen - 16W. Lupine delivers also the "Lampenkopf" alone; to connect it with the power supply of your Stromer may need some advice.

Due to the smaller housing, the Lupine will not reach the M99, but for shure will be the second best road-lighting on the whole market.

@Chuck E. Cheese , @Stromer2work ,

The ST2 uses sophisticated CANBUS system.

I got hold of the tech experts and they sent me this drawing. The CANBUS port shows 12V outlet but the exact amperage is not available.
My hunch is that it should be able to power ~1A or slightly more. I highly recommend some of the advanced Supernova or Light & Motion lights.

Check this drawing.

View attachment 25682
Thanks so much for this diagram. I wish the whole schematic was available but I suspect they keep that under tight wraps. When I replaced the motor control cable on my ST2 I was so focussed on making sure I was doing it properly that I didn't spend any time poking around "under the hood" when it was taken apart. This winter I'll probably rip the whole thing open just to look around. I can measure the voltage an current available from the port connected to the E3 light. It would be awesome if there was sufficient current to replace the E3 with something more like the m99pro. When I spoke with Stromer I was told that the M99Pro required more current than was available, but no one could tell me exactly how much current it could provide. A single sufficiently bright hardwired headlight would make things so much simpler for me.

Thanks so much for this diagram. I wish the whole schematic was available but I suspect they keep that under tight wraps. When I replaced the motor control cable on my ST2 I was so focussed on making sure I was doing it properly that I didn't spend any time poking around "under the hood" when it was taken apart. This winter I'll probably rip the whole thing open just to look around. I can measure the voltage an current available from the port connected to the E3 light. It would be awesome if there was sufficient current to replace the E3 with something more like the m99pro. When I spoke with Stromer I was told that the M99Pro required more current than was available, but no one could tell me exactly how much current it could provide. A single sufficiently bright hardwired headlight would make things so much simpler for me.

M99 Pro is a whole another beast. I would not try that on an ST2 because the current requirements are very different. Most other Bosch bikes that use the M99 Pro hook it up directly to the motor power cable at 36V. It uses considerable amount of current (32W/hr).
There are other lights like M99 Pure+ (1100 lumens) or Light and Motion NIP 800 (800 lumens) that would be more apt.

The ST2 in the EU market uses M99 Mini 45 (500 lumens) and runs at 12V.

I also commute daily - I run it as a helmet light and I have found it a great asset when "looking where I'm going" in general and as an additional safety device when dealing with others on the road - I ride in the LAX area @ 4 in the morning-

I’m also in search of a better built in wired lighting solution for my US ST2 for the winter. The diagram for Ravi shows 12v and also mentions that the EU ST2 has the mini 45 which is 12v - so I was thinking about replacing my light with a M99 Pure Plus which is rated for 1100lm at 12v. Will the ST2 automatically detect that a new 12v light is installed and change the voltage output or is there a menu setting or some type of different firmware needed?

Just placed an order last week for the M99 mini pro e-25 which supposedly has the smart voltage features that will adapt to range that various bikes output (5-12v). It’s on backorder but hopefully will arrive in a couple weeks. Will repost once it comes in and installed.

Just placed an order last week for the M99 mini pro e-25 which supposedly has the smart voltage features that will adapt to range that various bikes output (5-12v). It’s on backorder but hopefully will arrive in a couple weeks. Will repost once it comes in and installed.

While it is a great light, I am not sure how it would fare on the ST2 because it has two beams (lo/hi) and on ST2-S, just pressing the light button second time activates the hi beam but on a regular ST2, I am not sure. If you run into any hiccups, try getting the latest firmware.
Let us know once you get it installed.

Keep us updated! I'm very interested to know how this turns out.

Sent an inquiry to my dealer about upgrading the light on the ST1x, who in turn sent an inquiry to Stromer. The reply I received answered none of my questions. I asked if there was an amperage limit on the ST1x 6V light, and if they had info on the actual connector on the light side of the connection so I don't have to solder the light to the bike wires.

Stromer answered my question with "the light is 6V". Well I know that already.. here's the response. Does me no good.

The ST1X light is a 6 volt, unless the bike is a new spec model with a horn, in which case that system is now a 12 volt. The light pin configuration is a simple 2 pin setup, with the flat guide section pointing up, I believe the positive is on the right, negative on the left (I’m only about 75% sure of that, though, as we don’t have that labeled).

@Ravi Kempaiah
@PDX_Commuter

I heard from Stromer that the ST2 has a PCB (power distribution board) below the battery with really specific design specs. They say some dealers have tried to upgrade the light and fried the PCB, and it's $580 to replace not covered by warranty. I was asking about upgrading ST2 to m99 mini pro 25.

Ravi, does this info conflict with the CANBUS diagram they sent you?

@Ravi Kempaiah
@PDX_Commuter

I heard from Stromer that the ST2 has a PCB (power distribution board) below the battery with really specific design specs. They say some dealers have tried to upgrade the light and fried the PCB, and it's $580 to replace not covered by warranty. I was asking about upgrading ST2 to m99 mini pro 25.

Ravi, does this info conflict with the CANBUS diagram they sent you?

The dealer may not have known certain details. It's not possible to fry the "PCB". The PCB they are talking about is the controller.
If you want to see how the controller looks like, I have attached a picture.

ST2 controller.jpg

This goes beneath the downtube under the battery compartment. This has powerful MOSFETS to regulate the 48V motor. The light is connected to another board that is close to the OMNI display and it is also where certain signals are separated in the CANBUS channel.
The requirements for M99 Pro is that the voltage should be 24V+ and with large currents. Except the St2-S, most bikes don't use it because of how much power hungry it is. If they use it, they connect directly to the battery at 36V.
If you end up connecting a high-current draw light to the ST2, it may not put the kind of lumens it is designed to. Try this instead of the M99 mini Pro , you will be pleased and save few hundred $$.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Hope this helps.

The dealer may not have known certain details. It's not possible to fry the "PCB". The PCB they are talking about is the controller.
If you want to see how the controller looks like, I have attached a picture.

View attachment 27258

This goes beneath the downtube under the battery compartment. This has powerful MOSFETS to regulate the 48V motor. The light is connected to another board that is close to the OMNI display and it is also where certain signals are separated in the CANBUS channel.
The requirements for M99 Pro is that the voltage should be 24V+ and with large currents. Except the St2-S, most bikes don't use it because of how much power hungry it is. If they use it, they connect directly to the battery at 36V.
If you end up connecting a high-current draw light to the ST2, it may not put the kind of lumens it is designed to. Try this instead of the M99 mini Pro , you will be pleased and save few hundred $$.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Hope this helps.
Thanks Ravi! Much appreciated! Might you happen to know if the NIP 800 has a beam pattern with a cuttoff to avoid blinding oncoming traffic? It's something on my mind even more than the lumen output.

Thanks Ravi! Much appreciated! Might you happen to know if the NIP 800 has a beam pattern with a cuttoff to avoid blinding oncoming traffic? It's something on my mind even more than the lumen output.

When it comes to beam pattern alignment, Supernova M99 is superior to any other light.
I have the NIP 800 on my Bosch bike is is certainly better than the stock E6 light that comes on the ST2, both in terms of beam pattern and flux. In short, it is better than the stock but not as great as the M99 series.

When it comes to beam pattern alignment, Supernova M99 is superior to any other light.
I have the NIP 800 on my Bosch bike is is certainly better than the stock E6 light that comes on the ST2, both in terms of beam pattern and flux. In short, it is better than the stock but not as great as the M99 series.
Ok, thank you!

What is involved in swapping the NIP 800 for the stock light? I would be interested in a better light, but am not sure about installing it myself...

What is involved in swapping the NIP 800 for the stock light? I would be interested in a better light, but am not sure about installing it myself...

Open the OMNI module and look for the distribution board shown in the schematic above.
Once you locate the other end of the Supernova light cable, unplug them and reroute the NIP 800 cable.
It's not hard at all. For an E-bike mechanic, it's more like 20 minute job.

Back