Have any of you been in the Army, Navy, Air Forces?

Retired Army, Signal Corp/Military Intelligence
14 years straight in Germany... (Rose Barracks, Bad Kreuznach, 8th Sig Bn. & 8ID H.Q.) & (Abrahms Building, Frankfurt, V Corp HQ)
2 years USA, Ft. Huachuca, AZ,. Military Intelligence Center & School
12 months & 3 long days Korea, Camp Humphries, 3rd MI Bn.
4 years USA, Ft. Lewis, WA. 2ID 122nd Sig Bn. & 201st MI Bn.

Too many stories to even try and pick one. So many experiences, good... and bad. Birth of my daughter. The Wall coming down. Watching one of my soldiers die. Mastering the anal-retentive security practices of Military Intelligence. Wonderful friends, great food, the very best of beers, wines, bread, and cheese that Germany had to offer. Amsterdam, London, Paris, Athens, Berlin, East Berlin, Prague, Munich (Oktoberfest!). The Edfil Tower, Zugspitze, Stone Hinge, Cliff of Dover, Bulldog Cafe, The Wall, Auschwitz. Desert Storm. Taking possession of my Saab 900T at the factory in Trollhättan, Sweden, and taking a month to race her around Europe. Working for and with some of the best people in the world. Believing in what we were doing and having faith and trust in the American government. The Best of Times.

Retired Army, Signal Corp/Military Intelligence
14 years straight in Germany... (Rose Barracks, Bad Kreuznach, 8th Sig Bn. & 8ID H.Q.) & (Abrahms Building, Frankfurt, V Corp HQ)
2 years USA, Ft. Huachuca, AZ,. Military Intelligence Center & School
12 months & 3 long days Korea, Camp Humphries, 3rd MI Bn.
4 years USA, Ft. Lewis, WA. 2ID 122nd Sig Bn. & 201st MI Bn.

Too many stories to even try and pick one. So many experiences, good... and bad. Birth of my daughter. The Wall coming down. Watching one of my soldiers die. Mastering the anal-retentive security practices of Military Intelligence. Wonderful friends, great food, the very best of beers, wines, bread, and cheese that Germany had to offer. Amsterdam, London, Paris, Athens, Berlin, East Berlin, Prague, Munich (Oktoberfest!). The Edfil Tower, Zugspitze, Stone Hinge, Cliff of Dover, Bulldog Cafe, The Wall, Auschwitz. Desert Storm. Taking possession of my Saab 900T at the factory in Trollhättan, Sweden, and taking a month to race her around Europe. Working for and with some of the best people in the world. Believing in what we were doing and having faith and trust in the American government. The Best of Times.

Great service memories... I also had a SaaB 900 Turbo when I went to officer basic training at Ft. Lewis, WA.

Beautiful location with a view of Mt. Rainer! ;)

Last edited:
Not me, personally, but:

Husband, Father and Father-in-law = USN

Son #1 = USAF/USAFR (current) - C-17 pilot

Son#2 = USMC (former) - Phrog/Osprey pilot

Also myriad uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews in various branches - we're a big sprawling military family.

I just keep the home fires burning and bask in their reflected glory :cool:.

18 months of mandatory service in the German Army. Airborne, stationed in Bruchsal, near Karlsruhe. Also some time training along the Czech border, back when we all agreed that the Russians were the opposing team.
I was told by a German Army Sergeant they have a saying "You have to serve but you don't have to succeed". He and I spent 1000s of hours in the Fulda Gap in the 80s and 90s.

Hi guys, nice to read your stories. I noticed you didn't have any posts from little old England, so heres mine. I Served 6 years in the Royal Corps of Signals (67 - 73). Served in 4 Div. Then RAF Sharjah and RAF Salalah out in the Gulf. Had a great time in Sharjah, playing in a band making a fortune playing in Dubai for the Ex-Pats, we even got a booking playng on the Shiekhs yacht sailing round dubai harbour. All went well until my CO decided i was having too good a time and shifted me out to a shithole in Salalah, where the local entrainment was bomb the airbase every other day.
After that it was back to German at RAF Wildenrath. Where for the rest of my military I tried to drink all the local bars dry.
I'm 73 now, don't drink as much but love my ebike and my motorbike.
😎🚲🏍️

24 years USAF. F-15E pilot. M'urica!
Been almost 50 years since I've been in one, but yeah, I sometimes miss the rush, lol
H-Life.jpeg

Worked for the feds (if that counts) for 25 yrs as an ATCer. Biggest mistake is not starting a log or diary when I entered of all the stuff that happened, and writing a book. It would have been a good one. I told more than one person when they entered to start a book diary;).

Back