Has anyone taken their Orbea Road Gain Ebike to Euorpe? Did you remove your battery and rent one there?

gregtmcg

I want to take my Orbea Road Gain i20 to France next year. I will remove the battery and rent one in France. Has anyone had this issue?

That seems like quite a lot of work just to travel without a battery. I owned an F30 for a while. While the battery can be removed, it doesn't seem like a job I'd like to undertake when traveling. And it definitely does not seem easy to reconnect the wiring at the head tube end of the battery.

I think it would be easier to just rent an e-bike there. You would not have to worry about your bike getting damaged in transit either.

I want to take my Orbea Road Gain i20 to France next year. I will remove the battery and rent one in France. Has anyone had this issue?

I have purchased my Orbea Gain M30 in July 2019 in Barcelona, but I live in Brazil. I travel to Europe every year and always took my Specailized Roubaix before this Orbea. I did not know that I could not travel by plane with this battery-powered bike and I came from Marseille to São Paulo, with a connection in Lisbon, through TAP, with the bike in the luggage-bag checked in the luggage normally without anyone saying anything. I only discovered this detail about this bike and the batteries when planning a new trip on December.
Removing the battery is laborious, but it is fast. You must first remove the BB86 center movement with the correct tools. Now, I want to dismantle the battery because it is made up of 20 PANASONIC cells that, under IATA legislation, I could carry as personal luggage at cabin, and assemble everything at the destination, even buying new Panasonic cells there. I usually travel for 20 days in destinations and renting a bike of this level costs an average of 100 euros a day, in Spain, Italy or France; too expensive for me. But I don't know how to open battery/control unity to try this. I think I will post a new thread about this.
IMG_9382.jpg
IMG_9378 2.jpg
IMG_9385.jpg

I recently did that when I relocated. I had to use a container ship and had to leave the battery with a family member and purchased a new battery here in Europe. I contacted KLM to see if I could have shipped my ebike without the battery but they flatly refused because of the motor even though I said I would obviously remove the battery. All airlines are different maybe KLM is extra precautious but you never know, just ask your airline.

It’s definitely not a good idea to lie or mislead the airlines about a bike with a motor you want to air ship for many reasons including safety, false alarms, and legal repercussions.

Last edited:
I've researched the ebikemotion a bit myself, the motor, battery and iWoc are e-SN specific meaning you can't just replace one component with another without a reprogramming of that part. The serial number is programmed via the dealer app, only available to dealers. So even if you do manage to ship the bike without the battery, you'd need to find an authorised dealer who would be willing to temporarily change the e-SN of the borrowed battery.

Hope you find this helpful :)

I've researched the ebikemotion a bit myself, the motor, battery and iWoc are e-SN specific meaning you can't just replace one component with another without a reprogramming of that part. The serial number is programmed via the dealer app, only available to dealers. So even if you do manage to ship the bike without the battery, you'd need to find an authorised dealer who would be willing to temporarily change the e-SN of the borrowed battery.

Hope you find this helpful :)
That’s 100% incorrect

That’s 100% incorrect
Interesting, just read your previous post again. Good to know, so you just changed the battery without any activation whatsoever? I got the info directly from Mahle, and it's also in their dealers guide. No flashing pink lights then?

Interesting, just read your previous post again. Good to know, so you just changed the battery without any activation whatsoever? I got the info directly from Mahle, and it's also in their dealers guide. No flashing pink lights then?
That’s all I did. I shipped the bike without the battery and purchased the same 625 Bosch battery from an online retailer (ridewill.it) I’ve even updated my head unit without issue.

Granted Mahle is a completely different company but with Bosch it was plug and play as far as the battery is concerned.

That’s all I did. I shipped the bike without the battery and purchased the same 625 Bosch battery from an online retailer (ridewill.it) I’ve even updated my head unit without issue.

Granted Mahle is a completely different company but with Bosch it was plug and play as far as the battery is concerned.
Can you provide clarification on why you say that @WickedSixx is incorrect? You're speaking of your experience with Bosch but this discussion is about the Mahle Ebikemotion system.

Oh that clarifies things. As @WattsUpDude pointed out, I was speaking about the ebikemotion system which was also written above in my post!
So probably correct after all right ;) Cheers, no harm done

Oh that clarifies things. As @WattsUpDude pointed out, I was speaking about the ebikemotion system which was also written above in my post!
So probably correct after all right ;) Cheers, no harm done
For what it’s worth, I read the same information as you when I had my Orbea and looking at the app, it would list individual SNs for all the components. I’ve no doubt it requires dealer flashing for all the components to work together.

Back