Has anyone had a hub motor fail?

Me too. When it comes to ebikes as a shop owner, and primary service man (degreed mechanical engineer) I actually really wanna be like the Maytag Repair Man from their old commercials, that some people are too young to remember, and sadly have likely never experienced machines or ANY appliance lasting 25 to 30 years before thinking about replacing.

That would be the hope, but as you add more technology, you add more points of possible breakage.

And service should never be a profit center for any ebike shop. (Though I suspect a number of pure analogue bike shops would be in horror reading this right now.)

This is an interesting sentiment. I think service should have some type of profit, esp if you are servicing ebikes that you did not sell.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? If you provide service/maintenance on my bike, you should profit from it. :)

I'm afraid my shop would encourage people to bring their bikes in for an annual tuneup. It gives the shop a minute to make/renew friendships, build trust, show off the latest product, and MAKE money. Doesn't have to be a killing, but you should be paid for your time spent servicing the bike. I don't think anyone would want to deny you that....

I had 1 of my Stromer motors replaced under warranty. The electronics didn’t fail but 1 of the holes on the motor casing WHere the spoke hooks in broke off, it was replaced under warranty. I have had a few glitches in 2 of the Stromers which were never repaired well , never will know what the cause was poor running or error codes. I doubt t was the motor itself.

Early Stromers and most others who put the controller in the hub had electronic failures due to heat but I would consider that a design error more than a working failure.

Back