Harley-Davidson officially spins off new electric bicycle company with stunning first model

Actually I am a bit of an HD history fan. Mostly the way early HDs were built for really crap roads and trails, much like todays eBike riders. 😁

Actually I am a bit of an HD history fan. Mostly the way early HDs were built for really crap roads and trails, much like todays eBike riders. 😁
Never rode one but really loved the look of Sportsters of a half century ago as well. If I was new to ebikes, I'd consider a HD as a "must ride" or better depending on price.

FWIW, I rode motorcycles since I was a teenager but never had interest in owning an HD till about 5 yrs ago. I got the itch and looked at a couple of new ones but found the dealers I visited to be real dicks to a new potential buyer. Tried to test ride a few (I’d never ridden a Harley) and only got one guy who seemed interested. I did finally take one for a ride and hated it. Way too heavy, expensive and I didn’t care for the handling at all. And this from a former larger Goldwing rider.
I finally looked used and tried two nice looking, low mile HDs but again, way too heavy and didn’t care for the handling. I ended up going for a smaller Suzuki road bike. I sold it just two years later as riding on the roads with all the cell phone distraction was too scary and used that money to help buy a nice Miata.😉

Good point... and the first Harley's were really just bicycles with engines! ;)

1605567683498.png

Honestly, Yamaha as the motorcycle company did a good job with their e-bike motors, also used by Giant, Haibike, BH and others. I hope Brose has improved their quality control on Brose S motor.

FWIW, I rode motorcycles since I was a teenager but never had interest in owning an HD till about 5 yrs ago. I got the itch and looked at a couple of new ones but found the dealers I visited to be real dicks to a new potential buyer. Tried to test ride a few (I’d never ridden a Harley) and only got one guy who seemed interested. I did finally take one for a ride and hated it. Way too heavy, expensive and I didn’t care for the handling at all. And this from a former larger Goldwing rider.
I finally looked used and tried two nice looking, low mile HDs but again, way too heavy and didn’t care for the handling. I ended up going for a smaller Suzuki road bike. I sold it just two years later as riding on the roads with all the cell phone distraction was too scary and used that money to help buy a nice Miata.😉
I got into the 'adventure bike' thing a bit over a dozen years ago. Had the big KTM of the day. Cool bike. About the opposite of a Harley in every way. Still that bike was hard to pick up if you dropped it. Now all the big three or four make great, big touring and adventure bikes. The only reason to buy a Harley is all about image and social 'norms'. They are mechanically outdated and way too heavy. I also had one of the first Gates belt drive Harleys about ... gawd .... over 40 years ago. 😢

They’re trying to play the “it’s an HD“ and the “it’s not an HD“ cards simultaneously. They’ll get lots of buyers who are HD owners.
Some interesting design ideas but I’m surprised they didn’t add turn signals to the tail lights and that they aren’t doing an advanced suspended version. I do like how low/confined the battery is. Where are they built? Overall, I’d be nervous buying from a new company spun off an old company that’s in major financial trouble.
The turn signals would have been an interesting option. The 2017 Specialized Turbo Vado came with the tail-light where the STOP signal was working, and it was turn-signal ready, only the latter option was never implemented.

The carbon belt solution is a good movement as that option is rarely offered but many buyers are longing for it at reasonable price. If my needs were limited to city riding, I might even go for the single-speed version for simplicity (as I live in the plains).

The turn signals would have been an interesting option. The 2017 Specialized Turbo Vado came with the tail-light where the STOP signal was working, and it was turn-signal ready, only the latter option was never implemented.

The carbon belt solution is a good movement as that option is rarely offered but many buyers are longing for it at reasonable price. If my needs were limited to city riding, I might even go for the single-speed version for simplicity (as I live in the plains).
Hey, I bet a derailleur shifted belt is possible. Problem is your derailleur would double in size and the cone of your cassette would be about 8 inches wide small to large cog. 🤣

They’re trying to play the “it’s an HD“ and the “it’s not an HD“ cards simultaneously. They’ll get lots of buyers who are HD owners.
Some interesting design ideas but I’m surprised they didn’t add turn signals to the tail lights and that they aren’t doing an advanced suspended version. I do like how low/confined the battery is. Where are they built? Overall, I’d be nervous buying from a new company spun off an old company that’s in major financial trouble.
Electrek hinted off road models are coming !

Honestly, Yamaha as the motorcycle company did a good job with their e-bike motors, also used by Giant, Haibike, BH and others.
I hope Brose has improved their quality control on Brose S motor.
Brose claims to have issued a software update for the existing motors to alter how power is transferred and a hardware update for reinforced belts.

Powered by HD via Yamaha, Bosch? I find it interesting that they spun off this endeavor and rebranded. If this side line doesn't revive HD they could try bomb casings or RV's.....wait, they tried that already. LOL.

It will be interesting to see what the next 10years hold. Guitar Center just filed for Chap 11 BK. Not sure how it effects Musician's Friend or Music Zoo. But pretty sure it will not get back on it's feet. Debt load being the culprit. From what I understand HD is also dealing with massive debt and shrinking market.

Back