Hand signals

I have seen and used those hand signals but as it's been mentioned it's best to assume that driver's don't see you. I myself try to ride on side streets or pathways and not too much on roads with heavy urban traffic if possible. As far as I am concerned cars always have the right of way. That's how I have managed to survive 50 yrs of urban cycle commuting.

Agree Frank, I live in Montreal and try very hard to avoid busy roads but unfortunately we still have to use roads in places just to get to the bike paths.

Most useful when among cages,

1650323855809.png

My favorite (not actually) is when cyclists ride on the opposite side of traffic. I’ve had a close call with another cyclist because they were going against the arrow. You know, that arrow in the bike lane that indicates the direction of travel.

By the way, if this is you, in the wrong direction of travel, then you should ride around me. You have better vision of the traffic, because you are facing it.

Also, I don’t have much faith in younger drivers knowing hand signals, so I installed actual turn lights. I use both!

Hand signaling to drivers is fatally stupid, because it lures you into thinking that drivers are a) paying attention to you and b) will respond appropriately.

Act as if the driver can't see you, and you won't put your life in the driver's hands (as much, anyway).

I only find hand signaling to drivers at all worth the strain in rather low speed situations. Your desire to turn should be obvious from your direction, location and path.
In the US, in all 50 states and all territories, bicyclists are required by law to use hand signals on public roads, and all motor vehicle operators are required to learn them as part and parcel of driver license examinations, since they are also required to be used by motor vehicle operators in the absence of illuminated directional indicators.

These hand signals have been in common use for a century and more. Automobiles didn’t always come with turn signals, and turn signals can and do malfunction or fail, which is why all drivers are required to demonstrate knowledge and recognition thereof. Granted, the car slaves tend to be rather forgetful of, or simply indifferent to, proper operating procedures, but that doesn’t change the law.

Your advice is poor, and you should not repeat it.

For the people who think about turn signals at all, this subject seems to be at a lower intensity but also just about as divisive as wearing masks during Covid surges. Why, I don't understand. I'm convinced that a lot of people don't think about signals at all, on bikes or in cars. Nevertheless, I don't think there is anyone with a drivers license who doesn't understand what hand signals mean. The few that don't should have never received a license in the first place. I have done informal surveys while driving and a significant majority of car drivers simply don't use signals.

Arguing that they don't use signals because they don't think other drivers would know what they mean is patently ridiculous, not to say stupid. I imagine a lot of them would use the same excuses we've seen here for bike riders not using hand signals.

Everyone knows what the standard hand signals are. Everyone. There's simply no doubt about that.

Hand signals might be arguably a bit more difficult to use than automobile turn signals, but ease of use is irrelevant in either case.. Safety and the law are what matters.

TT

In the US, in all 50 states and all territories, bicyclists are required by law to use hand signals on public roads, and all motor vehicle operators are required to learn them as part and parcel of driver license examinations, since they are also required to be used by motor vehicle operators in the absence of illuminated directional indicators.

These hand signals have been in common use for a century and more. Automobiles didn’t always come with turn signals, and turn signals can and do malfunction or fail, which is why all drivers are required to demonstrate knowledge and recognition thereof. Granted, the car slaves tend to be rather forgetful of, or simply indifferent to, proper operating procedures, but that doesn’t change the law.

Your advice is poor, and you should not repeat it.
Drivers are required to do a lot of things. Requirements don't amount to much when enforcement is impractical and unappealing to the masses, i.e. drivers.

Considering how people on bikes, including police, blow through stop signs, the law isn't of much concern to them (me included). Worshiping authority is a personal preference :).

Hand signal if you like, but don't delude yourself that it amounts to much in anything but slow speed (say, cars going under 15 mph) situations.

I'm a little horrified by the US respondents who don't know hand signals, considering I was taught them in grade school in the '70's (in America's hometown nonetheless) and they were on the written drivers test in the '80's... and are still in the book you're supposed to study to take your drivers test in both Taxachusetts and the "Live free or DIE!!!" state I'm in now.

Left arm out straight, turning left.
Left arm up bent 90 degrees at elbow, turning right.
Left arm down bent 90 degrees at elbow, stopping

It's not rocket science. And you're supposed to know it and use it when your turn signals are busted. In fact if you know they are busted but you use the hand signal, the cops can't ticket you for the busted equipment, at least in the state's I've lived in long term... because you are aware of the problem and are signaling!

Another signal I use when leading group rides — and we pass pedestrian(s) — is to hand and voice signal how many bikes are behind me. Especially with small walking groups, they tend to quickly spread back across the path thinking there is no more traffic but one.

If I am leading five or fewer, I show the number in fingers and call out the number. If 6 or more I even more clearly communicate the number of bikes to help ensure safe passage.

I'm a little horrified by the US respondents who don't know hand signals, considering I was taught them in grade school in the '70's (in America's hometown nonetheless) and they were on the written drivers test in the '80's... and are still in the book you're Try supposed to study to take your drivers test in both Taxachusetts and the "Live free or DIE!!!" state I'm in now.
If you don't believe that try counting the number of late model cars on the road that apparently don't come with a signal stalk on the steering column. Most of them.

<end sarcasm> Everyone knows hand signals, just like all cars actually have rather expensive turn signal systems as standard equipment installed at the factory. People just don't care to use signals of any kind and I guess they have to have some sort of excuse when they get called on it.

TT

Last edited:
Back