Haibike Flyon......2019

I rode this or one just like it at Interbike a number of years ago.

View attachment 26401

For sure it was all top quality gear and it had really good power. But.....it had a huge amount of drag while the motor was off, was heavy (mainly due to the battery size to be fair) and Expensive, at least for that time anyway. The parasitic drag was the real turnoff for me though. Hope they worked through that obstacle.

These folks say that the motor completely de-couples when it reaches the speed limit.

I understand that Ravi, it was how it felt draggy without power at lower than the limit speeds, under power that melted away of course. Keep in mind this was a number of years ago and pretty sure they have made advancements in the tech and Haibike seems to be on board with it. Not my cup of e though.

I understand that Ravi, it was how it felt draggy without power at lower than the limit speeds, under power that melted away of course. Keep in mind this was a number of years ago and pretty sure they have made advancements in the tech and Haibike seems to be on board with it. Not my cup of e though.

That was the spitzing that has the drag. There are several things that are improved on the drive unit since then, that are now present on the Flyon.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up. But it seems a bit odd that they would announce a bike that won't be available til summer of '19 at the earliest. Perhaps a supply chain issue with the battery or motor as it can't be the frame and bits.

Through out the years bike manufacturers have been climbing all over themselves to set new standards and push the envelope of engineering so that their brand is the most recognized. The recent suspenseful $$$$ Specialized advertising campaign for their 2019 Levo which I thought was a bit over the top and at this time they are fielding a big fuss over the motor noise emanating from some, but not all, of them. Probably just as well in that case that Haibike is making sure the Flyon is right on.

Remains the price. Too expensive, too slow, and impossible to tune for the moment. Who wants to buy a bike that can’t be dereistricted from 25km/h? I can’t keep up with half the non-plates on my S-Pedelec and it’s pretty clear to me that it isn’t human power fueling the bikes... Sales go where the tuning chips can go if you ask me.

Someone will sell an aftermarket sensor disc that is missing every other tab to derestrict it, or you could do it yourself

I'd only be interested in an S version.
My SDuro buddy with the dongle admits it's a dangerous proposition.
So far, my first choice remains my current bike with the Nyon upgrade.

Haibike Flyon review by Sam Pilgrim.

Love this presentation of this super EMTB. The new speed disc is also very impressive. Looks like Sam is doing some scrubbing on the jumps usually seen by professional motocross guys. Boy this guy can ride! Looks like this may be another E-bike @ approx $10k?o_O

Either the Flyon line of bikes have a cutoff speed of 28km/h or Haibike is hinting that they can easily be pedalled above 25km/h.

I would say the only limit to the motor's speed will be what they have it restricted to for legal reasons. It is a monster and in a class of it's own. It is way more than I will ever need but I can certainly appreciate the engineering that TQ has put into and respect the fact that they are making sure that the final product is right and backed by their support that they can pass on to the eventual dealer network.

Back