Grocery run, mods, and some photos

Bruce Arnold

Went on a grocery run today. My wife said I looked like a Dutch boy when I got home (because they use bikes for everything in the Netherlands.) She took a photo, and I decided to get a couple others just to show some mods I've made.

The small bag on the top tube holds some tools and has a cell phone pocket on top. The front bag is by Ibera and holds a tire pressure gauge, some kleenex, a microfiber cloth, etc. The Wald baskets are great. Folded up they are totally out of the way. Open, they hold a lot as you can see. There's a loaf of bread in there, some buttermilk, soy milk, and half-and-half, potatoes, black beans, sweet potatoes, crackers, leeks, some other odds and ends.

I took along a canvas tote because I wasn't sure if I could get my whole shopping list in the baskets, but it all fit.

On top of the rear rack is a bungee net which holds my U lock and cable, and sometimes a windbreaker or what have you. Bungee nets are notorious for stretching, but I had it so I'm using it. When it gets loose I'll replace it with Rok Straps.

If you look closely, you can see that I put on a headset extender. Raised the handlebars 3 inches. (Thanks, Reid.) Much more comfortable for neck and hands.

I also rotated the grips forward. They were at about a 45° angle. I've got them nearly flat so my palms rest on the flat parts. Couldn't figure out what was ergonomic about them before. Now I get it.

I hope you enjoy the pics, and maybe it will give some folks some ideas of how to trick out their ride.

20180322_151853.jpg
20180322_151718.jpg

20180322_151859.jpg
20180322_151906.jpg

I too bought the wheels up bag for my CCS after seeing this. I originally bought the phone bag without matching sides and it didn’t fit, so I put that on my gravel bike.

If I need to, I can put the bungee net over the top of either or both baskets. That's one of the reasons I decided to use it despite their drawbacks.
Yep, seconding the bungee net. This one for 8 bucks works for me.

I too bought the wheels up bag for my CCS after seeing this. I originally bought the phone bag without matching sides and it didn’t fit, so I put that on my gravel bike.
I am not using the Wheels Up phone holder, but appreciate the two side bags: for phone and shades, respectively.

Back