Greetings

Scooter

First time here, so like dig it man and greetings dude and dudetts. I purchased a RadRover kind of on impulse on Cyber Monday. I love this thing. I am a Motorcycle Rider for some 45 years and presently own three. I might very well give up ONE. This is such a fun and handy rig. Took the Rover to the store, rode all over, main streets and back streets. I am getting the hang as one does drive differently on an ebike than a Motorcycle, like anything there is a learning curve. It is so much fun to break all the rules, cut across the street, hop a curb and go across the park. I know there are (probably) rules, even laws but I will remain ignorant if I can (get away with it). I am not a good example for children either. I saw how to over-ride the "Speed" Limiter and reset the the thing. I have seen 23 mph on the Speedo. That is a nice clip really. My only complaint is that the Rad Company should have called this a CLOSE OUT SALE ! It does not feel good to buy a new, rather expensive toy and then with less than 25 miles after riding ONE day find there is a New Improved 2018 to be sold for the same PRICE ??? I would have waited, buying a bike in winter anyway I did not expect a ton of use so waiting till after New Years would have made little difference. It just would have been the right thing for this Company to do, clearly they knew they had an all new line. I do understand business and by not telling the average Joe they maximized profits but this is my 2 Cents worth of complaints. Perhaps they will toss us a bone, free fender kit or how about a spare battery at COST as $500 seems a little steep. So howdy one and all, I know little or nothing about ebikes except they are a GAS! Well no, I guess they are NOT ........

So, like I will plant you now and dig you later ................

Welcome!

I've been an owner of two 2016 Radrovers since Sept/16. I'm +3800 miles between both bikes and I use equally between work commuting and trail riding. I didn't realized they finally updated the Rad product line. I didn't find any tech data for what improvements over the 2016/2017 Radrover models.

I've been extremely happy with my Rads and most updates I could do aftermarket anyways like suspension seatpost, adjustable height handlebars, battery pack, brakes, or lights. It would be nice to have the option for +2018 upgraded front suspension, brakes upgrade, extra gears for more low hill climb ability and higher road speeds, or different frame sizes.

The only bad thing out the box with the Rad are the Kenda tires. Noisy, OK grip on pavement, a lot of drag to limit acceleration/top speed, can be flat prone, and wear pretty fast (especially in the rear with pavement riding). Everyone has be extremely happy and never looked back after dumping the Kenda and switching to Vee8 120tpi, Origin8 Supercell, or Maxxis Hookworms.

Thanks, I will replace the tires when it starts to wear, perhaps then I can get that speed up and break the 25 mph barrier. I like the bike a lot, fun rides and also to the store for food. I live in an Urban/Suburban Community now and it is perfect. Well it is cold now but I bundled up and not too bad. Learning to use the pedal feature and be a little more flexible on the juice to get longer drive time. I'm a bit on the short leg side and it's kind of like getting up on a horse for me but it is just the learning curve. I ordered a mirror, that will make me much happier. Looks like only the left side for a normal type mirror. I would like a bar-end mirror on the right. I have read the standard bike mirror does not fit? Is that true? Were would I find one and what size do I look for to slide into the end of the Handle Bar?

Thanks

I use a mirror that attaches to my bike helmet. I like to ride singletrack trails with the Rad and mirrors that slide in the handlebars would get knocked off on certain trails or broken off when I find myself occasionally wiping out. I like the helmet mirror because I can just rotate my head and see almost any view behind me on straight or turns when riding.

My normal cruising speed is between 18-22 mph at PAS 3 on level ground depending on how much of a headwind or slight tailwind (this is after I switched Vee8 120tpi tires). I can get up to 23-24 mph on short runs on declines at the same PAS level. The top gear for the Rad is just too short to maintain +25 mph and not feel like a hamster in an exercise wheel when pedaling. You have the option to adjust the motor cut-off to 40 km/h (24.8 mph); but, the Rad needs an extra 8th or 9th gear for normal pedaling at those speeds (might have to use the throttle only to maintain 40 km/h).

Hi Scooter, I am new here as well. I ordered a radrover the same day you did, the $1,349 cyber monday deal was just too good. I noticed a few days before cyber monday that the rad website had a '2018 preview' page that discussed a few of the new features. It said details would be released in mid-december and delivery would be in 2018. I kind of went back and forth as to saving $150 or getting the newest model. I ended up taking the deal. The changes on the new battery seem ok, longer range (but .5 lbs heavier). But I'm not a fan of the new front rack bolts, or the new stem & handlebars so I'm glad I got last years personally.
Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the detailed posts I read while researching, this site has a been a great resource.

Hi Scooter, I am new here as well. I ordered a radrover the same day you did, the $1,349 cyber monday deal was just too good. I noticed a few days before cyber monday that the rad website had a '2018 preview' page that discussed a few of the new features. It said details would be released in mid-december and delivery would be in 2018. I kind of went back and forth as to saving $150 or getting the newest model. I ended up taking the deal. The changes on the new battery seem ok, longer range (but .5 lbs heavier). But I'm not a fan of the new front rack bolts, or the new stem & handlebars so I'm glad I got last years personally.
Thanks to everyone on this forum for all the detailed posts I read while researching, this site has a been a great resource.

Welcome to the community JB!

I would make sure you have spoke tool to double-check them. I've noticed the tires were not true, disk brake rubbed a little bit, and I've heard a knocking noise when riding before I checked the spokes. More than half of my spokes on both bike took around 1/2 to 4 turns to get them the same tq all around. I just used the round silver spoke tool with different size spoke gauges cut outs.

I do like the RadRover and am happy overall with the 2017. I did not see or read up on the 2018 till later. My fault really but I just purchased rather impulsively. I did a little research and found the Rad highly recommended but did not compare to many other bikes. I spent my $150 savings a few times, rack and bags plus a fender set so the Rover is a keeper.

Back