Greetings from Tasmania

Spork

Hi folks.
I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and I'm struggling to get my sugars down.
I love my carbs, so I'm considering increasing my exercise so that I can still eat at least some stuff I enjoy.
It's too hilly here for me to commute on a non-powered bike, and I'm time poor so riding after I get home and weekends isn't likely to happen.
I figure an e-bike is the perfect solution. I'll get regular exercise riding to and from work, without a big time penalty, and it will save on petrol and parking!

There are limited brands available where I live or within a days drive, so I will likely buy online.
I've been looking at the Lekker e-Amsterdam gen 2 (here: https://www.lekkerbikes.com.au/product/e-amsterdam-2nd-gen-commuter-ebike/ ) and it ticks nearly all the boxes:
- Mid drive, hub gear and belt drive, as well as an option for racks and mudguards designed for it (as opposed to aftermarket one-size-fits-all) ones.
And dammit - the integrated battery, and the overall aesthetic - I'm drooling...

My only concern is it isn't a well known brand. Does anyone on here know anything about them?

Welcome to the forum! I hadn't heard of Lekker bikes before, but it sure does look nice. Where is the closest dealer to you? Melbourne? Is there any e-bike dealer for any brand near you? The service and support of a good local dealer could be very important.

Regular exercise is very good for helping with cholesterol and diabetes... Good for you for doing that. But watch out for the (delicious) carbs! :)

Welcome to the forum! I hadn't heard of Lekker bikes before, but it sure does look nice. Where is the closest dealer to you? Melbourne? Is there any e-bike dealer for any brand near you? The service and support of a good local dealer could be very important.

Regular exercise is very good for helping with cholesterol and diabetes... Good for you for doing that. But watch out for the (delicious) carbs! :)

A couple of LBS carry e-Bikes from the brands they sell, but very limited choices. Most are e-MTB's. None offer internal hub gears or belt drive options, and most with a mid drive motor are considerably more $$$.
Closest dealer is Melbourne.
I'm thinking that most the components are fairly mainstream (Bafang mid-drive motor, Shimano hub, Tektro brakes) so any bike shop could work on those, if they need something done beyond my capabilities.
The reviews I've found are largely positive, there are 647 on "Trustpilot" = 74% are "excellent".

I guess another (cheaper) option could be to buy a nice flatbar commuter bike and add the electronics.

A couple of LBS carry e-Bikes from the brands they sell, but very limited choices. Most are e-MTB's. None offer internal hub gears or belt drive options, and most with a mid drive motor are considerably more $$$.
Closest dealer is Melbourne.
I'm thinking that most the components are fairly mainstream (Bafang mid-drive motor, Shimano hub, Tektro brakes) so any bike shop could work on those, if they need something done beyond my capabilities.
The reviews I've found are largely positive, there are 647 on "Trustpilot" = 74% are "excellent".

I guess another (cheaper) option could be to buy a nice flatbar commuter bike and add the electronics.
Well, the Lekker bike certainly does look good. Good components and it looks good. And since the reviews appear to be good... well, best of luck to you! And please let us know when you get it how you like it.

I took a casual look at them whilst picking up my daughters mtb from the Melbourne bicycle centre Prahran ( interestingly not listed as a dealer on the website you linked, but they definitely sell them https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/shop/prahran/vic/melbourne-bicycle-centre-prahran/3607/-/lekker )

Mixed feelings - they looked as though they were trying to appear upmarket yet had low end fittings?

I'd be having a good long discussion with local shops about alternatives - depending on what part of Tas you live in. Sure, most of what they sell are mountain bikes but that doesn't prevent them from sourcing ( and supporting) a commuter. Then, if they can't suggest a commuter you could ask them about support for the Lekker? Better yet, offer them a chance to become a dealer and sell you the demo at a favourable price......

Back