Greetings from San Antonio

norm51

Region
USA
City
San Antonio
My wife and I are 70+ and determined that we won't be spending our senior years in a rocking chair or glued to the TV!!!

San Antonio is building out a great bike trail system that will allow us to explore much of the city without having to be on city streets. The trail nearest our home has wildlife that I thought you'd have to drive out in the country to see. Some of the dear herds barely stop their grazing as bikes and joggers pass.

Riding during the week while younger folks are still at work reveals that we're not alone in our goals as other seniors are almost creating a traffic jam on some of the trails.

Because my wife has only novice-level riding skills, she has been riding piggyback on my Blix Packa. We'll be selling hers soon and replacing it with an Evelo Compass E-Trike. That'll give her the opportunity to stay fit.

We'll be racking our Packa onto our motorhome instead of towing another vehicle for grocery errands and sightseeing/exploring while camped.

Happy Trails!!!

Norm

Attachments

• OurBlix.JPG
    OurBlix.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 220
  • MyBlix.JPG
    MyBlix.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Hello Norm and welcome to EBR. I also got ebikes as a RV accessory, but the RV became the accessory to the bikes.

Thanks for the welcome.

We'll be newbies in the RV world as well. But we have rural property where we can work through some of the newbie mistakes with no one around watching us. LOL!

Norm

Last edited:
Welcome! San Antonio holds a special place in my heart - I went thru USAF Basic Training there in 1966 . . . . in August!! Quite a shock for a boy from the Seattle area

We also RV and I bought a Lectric XP folding bike about a year ago mainly because it folds up so easily and goes inside our little Sprinter motorhome. My wife didn't do too well on our DaHon folding bikes when we were boating, so when it came to getting an eBike, I bought her a folding eTrike and she does lots better on that with much less chance of taking a tumble

Enjoy your trails there in San Antone and good luck with the RV! :)

Don

Thanks Don,

With the pandemic and all, many of the popular motorhome models are backordered - like our LTV Unity RL [also on the Sprinter chassis.]

We live in "the pattern" for take-offs and landings at Kelly/Lackland which is now just called Joint Base San Antonio. Planes landing to the SE that pass over our front yard are bound for the left runway and those that are slightly off across our backyard are landing on the right runway.

But speaking of out of place, one of my nephews from Arkansas served about the USS Enterprise based near Seattle and our youngest daughter and her family now live in Gig Harbor after living in Federal Way for a few years.

That's one of the first locations on our list to visit when the LTV gets delivered next year - not our kids, but just to go and see the grands and great-grands in that area.

My wife's Evelo Compass is scheduled to arrive sometime in July, so she'd better get ready to do her own peddling in short order! We rode 49 miles round trip yesterday to picnic at the southernmost Mission - Mission Espada.

Happy Trails!!!

Norm

Hi Norm, welcome to the forum.
I live in Spring Branch, just up 281 near the 46 interchange. I too have a Blix, but a Vika +. I put 800 mi on the Blix in 2020, but this January I built a DIY ebike with a rear hub kit for a Specialized hybrid bike I bought a few years back. It's really been fun to ride out here in the hill country as well was when I take it into town to the bike trail (Greenway, I guess is the title). I've riden not quite half and I keep working my way around it a section at a time.

We too are RVers and have been for a long time. I take my new DIY ebike with me when we travel. My wife has zero interest in an eBike. She has a beach cruiser bike that she barely rides but has no interest in adding even a mild hub motor to it. So, I mostly do my biking alone. I put a bike rack on the back of the SUV we flat-tow behind the Class A.

I see you sold your Packa - did it sell from your ad here or did you sell it some other way? Since I made my Specialized into an eBike I don't ride the Vika + any more, so I need to sell it and let someone else have fun.

What part of SA are you in? Are you near the Greenway? It's a 20 mile trip one way to bring the bike to the nearest part of the trail for me.

Heres my Specialized at a dock on Lake Michigan in Door County, WI from an RV trip we just finished

.Door County.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Norm, welcome to the forum.
I live in Spring Branch, just up 281 near the 46 interchange. I too have a Blix, but a Vika +. I put 800 mi on the Blix in 2020, but this January I built a DIY ebike with a rear hub kit for a Specialized hybrid bike I bought a few years back. It's really been fun to ride out here in the hill country as well was when I take it into town to the bike trail (Greenway, I guess is the title). I've riden not quite half and I keep working my way around it a section at a time.

We too are RVers and have been for a long time. I take my new DIY ebike with me when we travel. My wife has zero interest in an eBike. She has a beach cruiser bike that she barely rides but has no interest in adding even a mild hub motor to it. So, I mostly do my biking alone. I put a bike rack on the back of the SUV we flat-tow behind the Class A.

I see you sold your Packa - did it sell from your ad here or did you sell it some other way? Since I made my Specialized into an eBike I don't ride the Vika + any more, so I need to sell it and let someone else have fun.

What part of SA are you in? Are you near the Greenway? It's a 20 mile trip one way to bring the bike to the nearest part of the trail for me.

Heres my Specialized at a dock on Lake Michigan in Door County, WI from an RV trip we just finished

.View attachment 92077
That's a very impressive DIY ebike that you built. Very clean looking.

We to are retired and down here around San Antonio. We used to live in Spring Branch inside of Cypress Cove subdivision until last year when we moved to Marion just east of Shertz. I have ordered a Lectric XPremium and it should be here in a week or two. We hope to ride some of the trails in San Antonio and would like to know how those trails worked out for you guys. Anyone upset at an ebike on the trails? I have seen some videos of people not happy with us ebikes and it has me a little worried. I am 66 but it seems like I get stiffer every day. I can ride a bike a lot further than I can walk. Hoping to ride an ebike even further. Glad to see so many seniors on ebikes down her around San Antonio. How are you locking up your bikes when you stop for restrooms, or shopping?

Back