GRANDE TOUR SCENIC BIKEWAY RIDE 6/18-6/19 sponsored by La Grande OR parks and rec

EMGX

Put off by all of the bickering/politicizing and other random nonsense posted over and over by the same knuckleheads and self proclaimed experts on EBR - and just want to ride?
Check out the La Grande Parks and Rec sponsored and supported 1 or 2 day 134 mile Grande Tour Scenic Bikeway ride 6/18-6/19.
I wanted to do this ride last year but we had a historic heatwave with temps over 100F, which I wasn't going to do. 2 years ago I did a 3 day 180ish mile Old West Scenic Bikeway and the Grande Tour ride was on my bucket list. This year is a blessedly more typical cool and wet NW spring. Most everything is green and beautiful.
Sign up deadline is 6/13, don't miss out. I've never ridden this exact route but looking forward to doing it at last and supported for a minimal fee is icing on the cake. If you actually ride your ebike (or non-assist bike) this might be just the ride for you, check it out.

Got a call from La Grande parks and rec this AM. Unfortunately the supported ride was cancelled, not enough people registered for them to be able to provide support. I'm still thinking of riding the route next week but not on the weekend.

Between Medical Springs and Catherine Creek:

BFFE4778-DBBE-41ED-B1A4-E74D4ECAF3B3.jpeg

Between Medical Springs and Catherine Creek:

View attachment 126041
I think it is working out OK that they cancelled the supported ride except that I was looking forward to riding an unloaded bike. There are conflicting weather forecasts for this weekend, some show rain one or both days but warm and clear weather from Monday on. As you know it often gets very hot in June - last year I passed on this ride in June because of 100+ degree temps, I'm loving the cool wet weather we've had this spring. Do you know if the Catherine Creek campground has electrical outlet in or around the restrooms? I know that there isn't campsite power.

Catherine Creek doesn't have any electrical outlets, or at least didn't in 2019.

My recommendation would be to camp at one of the RV parks in Baker City, drive to La Grande, ride one-way to Baker City one day and complete the loop the next day and pick up your rig in La Grande.

FWIW the Catherine Creek picnic site restroom does have an electrical outlet inside near the sink.

Back