Good idea ordering an ebike from Alibaba/China?

I am in the market for an ebike, and was shocked to see that some of the ebikes i was seeing are relabeled bikes from Alibaba at 3 times the price. This made me realize that most ebikes are way overpriced. Would ordering from Alibaba be a good idea, and has anyone done so? Thank you in advance.

Check your import laws at customs, in Canada you need a license and there are lot of restrictions. The cost is great if you can import it easily.

Check out M2S Bikes for their sale and their good quality bikes. I am planning on buying a bike from them, the fat tire bike, unless someone knows of a better deal. Please let me know what you think, EBR should review the bikes they sell!!

I am in the market for an ebike, and was shocked to see that some of the ebikes i was seeing are relabeled bikes from Alibaba at 3 times the price. This made me realize that most ebikes are way overpriced. Would ordering from Alibaba be a good idea, and has anyone done so? Thank you in advance.

Don't be shocked, this is old news. Standard practice in the regular bike industry as well. If you buy from a legitimate dealer, or an established direct to consumer business (radrover or voltbike for instance), you'll get support for your money spent.

Also, the prices on Alibaba may be for substantially different parts on the bike (including motor and battery size as well). When you build something part for part, the difference may be much less.

If you are thinking Alibaba, you're better off going for with a bike from bikes direct and a kit from Luna cycles. If you're not comfortable with a kit, skip Alibaba because you're not ready to deal with issues that will arise without support for the purchase. I do a lot of my own work and maintenance but would never buy Alibaba...you're dealing with a factory, how much time do you think they'll spend getting an order of a single bike right for you?

There's Alibaba, mostly for importers, and there's Aliexpress which is closer to ebay. You have to look at the price after it has been shipped, and figure on doing any maintenance or repair on your own dime, especially if it comes to replacing motor/battery. If you don't mind throwing the dice, you might get a deal.

Huh. Found a folding "ancheer" e-bike with 250W rear hub motor for under $500 shipped. 7 speeds. Lights. Front suspension. Nice. What would I do with that. Get killed, I guess. (By my wife, not the bike.)

Don't be shocked, this is old news. Standard practice in the regular bike industry as well. If you buy from a legitimate dealer, or an established direct to consumer business (radrover or voltbike for instance), you'll get support for your money spent.

Also, the prices on Alibaba may be for substantially different parts on the bike (including motor and battery size as well). When you build something part for part, the difference may be much less.

If you are thinking Alibaba, you're better off going for with a bike from bikes direct and a kit from Luna cycles. If you're not comfortable with a kit, skip Alibaba because you're not ready to deal with issues that will arise without support for the purchase. I do a lot of my own work and maintenance but would never buy Alibaba...you're dealing with a factory, how much time do you think they'll spend getting an order of a single bike right for you?
Thanks for the great information!! I think i'll pass on Alibaba.

I think don't make sense to import from Alibaba for personal use. You can never forecast the import costs and duties. Second after sales will be a big issue.

If battery or motor has one missing document you will face lots of problems and headache which also means $$$. That bike can cost in the end as much as the one you can buy from your local bike store.

Back