Good gears for the rainy days

Eric0976

Region
USA
Big rain today. I was able to test my rain gear for the first time. I used the following:
Waterproof breathable gloves: PEARL iZUMiP.R.O. Barrier WxB (Large size)
Waterproof breathable pants: Gore Wear C3 GORE-TEX Active Pants (medium size)
Waterproof shoes: Chrome Storm 415 Work Boots (I normally size 7, I bought 7.5)
Waterproof breathable jacket: Endura Urban Luminite 3 In 1 Jacket Ii Mens MTB Jacket - Hi Viz Yellow, large size (only used the top layer)

I am happy to report that I arrived at work dry from head to toes, same going back home. Temperature was in the mid 50s and I was comfortable (in t-shirt and brief under the waterproof layer).

Used to walk to work, 6 miles OW, even in heavy rain, with rain gear. It is amazing how well the good stuff works. I'd imagine biking is an even greater test of gear, though, especially in the seat area.

What about your bike? How does the electronics do? Are all the components rust proof?

Big rain today. I was able to test my rain gear for the first time. I used the following:
Waterproof breathable gloves: PEARL iZUMiP.R.O. Barrier WxB (Large size)
Waterproof breathable pants: snaptube vidmate Gore Wear C3 GORE-TEX Active Pants (medium size)
Waterproof shoes: Chrome Storm 415 Work Boots (I normally size 7, I bought 7.5)
Waterproof breathable jacket: Endura Urban Luminite 3 In 1 Jacket Ii Mens MTB Jacket - Hi Viz Yellow, large size (only used the top layer)

I am happy to report that I arrived at work dry from head to toes, same going back home. Temperature was in the mid 50s and I was comfortable (in t-shirt and brief under the waterproof layer).
that is a good settings actually , similar to mine

Last edited:
Used to walk to work, 6 miles OW, even in heavy rain, with rain gear. It is amazing how well the good stuff works. I'd imagine biking is an even greater test of gear, though, especially in the seat area.

What about your bike? How does the electronics do? Are all the components rust proof?
It is only the first rainy ride but so far things are holding up. I also have a Rotlitch light and a Bondrager ION pro RT and they worked fine.
Carbon Belt Drive and Enviolo for transmission and gears so weatherproofed

Rain pants are too steamy and uncomfortable. Lightweight wind pants that dry out instantly with possibly very thin long underwear bottoms are a better bet.

Frogg Toggs are still my go-to for raingear. They perform better or as well as much more expensive clothing and are very light. They are often ugly and shapeless but they work.

Also, temperatures above about 55 degrees or higher aren't honestly that challenging. Where it gets difficult and ugly is in the 35-45F range with very high humidities where everything works much less well and the consequences of getting soaking wet are more serious.

Nice Bike!
A first rain of the season, if this was, will splash up oil from the road onto rotors and make the road slick. Yesterday we had a first rain. It was mild and lasted 15-minutes. It happened that, that was the fifteen minutes I needed to commute. It was not forecast.
I put a strip of fiber tape in my Frogg Toggs' crotch. It is the one weak point. I also use Velcro on the right ankle. The lightweight ones are my go to. Yellow is better than the Slate Blue.

Rain pants are too steamy and uncomfortable. Lightweight wind pants that dry out instantly with possibly very thin long underwear bottoms are a better bet.

Frogg Toggs are still my go-to for raingear. They perform better or as well as much more expensive clothing and are very light. They are often ugly and shapeless but they work.

Also, temperatures above about 55 degrees or higher aren't honestly that challenging. Where it gets difficult and ugly is in the 35-45F range with very high humidities where everything works much less well and the consequences of getting soaking wet are more serious.
Alright. Will report if things change in colder weather. I was concerned that I would be sweaty with the rain pants, but no. Very comfy and breathes well

I like to ride in heavy rain but not in the evening, Morning is the best time for me to enjoy a bike ride in the rain. Flashlights are more helpful during the evening.

Last edited:
Back