Giant Talon E+ no assistance after 12 km/h

mortenik

Region
Europe
My Giant Talon E+ 2021 with a Giant Syncdrive Core (Yamaha) engine has a peculiar issue: The motor stops giving any assistance when the speed exceeds 11-13 km/h. Normally, this motor gives assistance up to approximately 25 km/h. Everything else about the bike seems normal, and the assistance at lower speeds works fine. The bike have passed approximately 6000 kilometers. The speedometer shows the speed correctly, so there does not seem to be any issues with the speed sensor on the rear wheel. I have not performed any battery measurements, but the range have been normal, so I do not believe it is a battery issue. I have also updated the software to the most recent version after the issue was intoduced, to no effect.

Anyone know what the issue could be? Perhaps something related to torque sensor (which I guess is internal to the motor)? Wiring? Unfortunately, there is absolutely no assistance to get from any of my local bike shops, not even dignostics (bought the bike online). I do not feel that I have the expertise to open the motor myself and start tampering, so this may leave me in a situation where the bike is unusable and perhaps unrepairable...

Last edited:
Good news: I was able to locate a local bike shop who said they had the right tools to run diagnostics on the bike. I'll keep any updates posted here, so perhaps we all can learn something from this.

Last edited:
Maybe you put it in demo mode somehow? Try turning the bike on then hitting the light button 5 times quickly.

Post in thread 'Possible Giant Hack' https://forums.electricbikereview.com/threads/possible-giant-hack.26258/post-176697
Tested this yesterday, but unfortunately it made no difference. Perhaps the Talon E+ has a different system/software than the Quickie model referred to in the other post? My bike has the RideControl unit pictured below. It has the light button on the top right of the control unit (not visible in the picture).
RideControl.jpeg

Back