Giant talon E intermittent power

sendr101

Region
Canada
I was riding my bike through the campground we were staying at. I had my dog on leash as those are the rules of the park I was in.
She got spooked by another dog and bolted to the other side of the side and slowed down.
Resulting in her leash getting caught in the real tire. It was quite the mess, so I took off the rear tire and dealt with it. After reassembling, I hop back on my bike and there is a pause in the power. The controller still stays on, but you will only get a little blip of power. It's does not change... as you pedal you'll feel it engage very briefly and then cut out, and then repeat, almost instantly...
This is a Giant Talon E bike. I have looked at many videos but nothing specifically on the Giant bikes.
From the best of my memory I remember the leash was wrapped around the speed sensor mounted on the rear triangle of the frame.
Although it looks totally fine, I suspect that may be the culprit....
Any thoughts??

It appears to be fine, but I am wondering if it's damaged internally where I can not see the wire.
There is a special looking torx screw, one that has a raised piece of metal in the middle, to remove the sensor. Any idea what this torx bit would be called?
How likely is it the wire looks fine but it's damaged after it enters the sensor?
Thanks for your interest in my thread Dave!

It sure sounds like the sensor assembly is damaged (physically or misaligned) in some way.

What part of Canada are you in - perhaps someone here can make a recommendation on a shop where you are if you can't figure it out
Canadian Tire have some Torx Security bits for under $20 if you want to continue by yourself.

My brother has a Talon, and we dropped his motor to install his dropper a couple of years ago, but I don't remember needing a security bit.
Good luck - I don't expect it to be anything major, but may be difficult to find the culprit.

I am in the west kootenay, BC.
Only a couple of bike shops around, may have to order online.

Unfortunately the crank assembly also needed removed in order to take off the casing for all the wiring... the last screw is directly blocked by the chainring..... what a silly design.

This video may help - it's been a couple of years since my brother and I did this to route the wiring for his dropper.
It wasn't all that hard to do.

It does look familiar although this is on a Syncdrive Pro.

Revolution Cycles in Rossland is a Giant dealer and gets very good reviews if you're near there.
I'm familiar with the area and skied Red and Whitewater a zillion times when I was younger, but never biked there.

I've killed 3 sensors on my giant (2018) , it's usually the wires getting tweaked eg by sticks catching them, and they then give intermittent faults depending on rear suspension movement.

Each time the dealer was able to plug my bike in and get a sensor error, but it's a relatively cheap part so worth keeping a spare anyway.

When you replace it, give some thought to improving the routing. Ie , make sure it's not under traction during suspension movement +/- doesn't have loops to act as stick magnets

Back