Giant Talon 3 29r' - Bafang BBS02 - 73mm bottom bracket

Falcon1az

Successful conversion/build of the Giant Talon 3 29r with the Bafang BBS02. I bought the centerdrive from Bafang USA Direct (called and spoke to them prior to buying centerdrive).

Very happy to report this was an easy conversion. I had the dealer remove the bottom bracket for me.

I opt'd for the 44 tooth chain ring sprocket. My goal was stronger pull, more torque. Having said that the bike easily runs up to over 25 mph (I've had it over 30 mph flat, paved surface with moderate-strong pedal input.

I didn't realize I'd have to break the chain to remove the front derailleur. Recommend having the dealer take care of that piece of the project although, it wasn't hard. I bought the Park 'mini chain tool' and a KMC Chain Link from my dealer. Actually, very easy to accomplish and now if I have a chain problem I'll be better equipped to tackle it.

One area I did have to think about was how to mount the hydraulic brake sensor. After a little 'testing' to understand how the circuit is broken it was pretty easy to come up with a suitable mount. The sensor is mounted to the brake body and the magnet mounted to the lever. I used the provided double sided tape to mount it and used hot glue to secure it. I was going to use JB Weld. The hot glue method has held up just fine. No reason to re-address at this point.

I bought the bike for about < $600 and the center drive kit for < $800. Total < $1400.00
Bottom line - really enjoy this bike!
Successful project.

6.PNG
5.PNG
4.PNG
3.PNG
2.PNG
1.PNG

Successful conversion/build of the Giant Talon 3 29r with the Bafang BBS02. I bought the centerdrive from Bafang USA Direct (called and spoke to them prior to buying centerdrive).

Very happy to report this was an easy conversion. I had the dealer remove the bottom bracket for me.

I opt'd for the 44 tooth chain ring sprocket. My goal was stronger pull, more torque. Having said that the bike easily runs up to over 25 mph (I've had it over 30 mph flat, paved surface with moderate-strong pedal input.

I didn't realize I'd have to break the chain to remove the front derailleur. Recommend having the dealer take care of that piece of the project although, it wasn't hard. I bought the Park 'mini chain tool' and a KMC Chain Link from my dealer. Actually, very easy to accomplish and now if I have a chain problem I'll be better equipped to tackle it.

One area I did have to think about was how to mount the hydraulic brake sensor. After a little 'testing' to understand how the circuit is broken it was pretty easy to come up with a suitable mount. The sensor is mounted to the brake body and the magnet mounted to the lever. I used the provided double sided tape to mount it and used hot glue to secure it. I was going to use JB Weld. The hot glue method has held up just fine. No reason to re-address at this point.

I bought the bike for about < $600 and the center drive kit for < $800. Total < $1400.00
Bottom line - really enjoy this bike!
Successful project.

View attachment 19220 View attachment 19219 View attachment 19218 View attachment 19217 View attachment 19216 View attachment 19215

Falcon-Really nice build on your Giant! Congrats on your new ride. Looks like you are going to kick some ass with this for only $1400 bucks. Love that work platform too. Ride safe!

Back