Giant Syncdrive Pro vs Yamaha PW-X

bikeman242

There is not a LBS near me to demo the Yamaha PW-X motor, so I tried a 2019 Giant Trance with the Syncdrive Pro motor, which I believe is based on the Yamaha Pw-x.

I did not hear any motor noise on the three lowest settings. I was surprised, as many reviews commented on the relative noise of the pw-x motor.

Can i expect the same amount of noise on a yamaha branded pw-x motor, or has Giant successfully tuned their Syncdrive Pro motor to be quiter than the pw-x?

I guess mine is the 'sport' motor, so I can't say for the 'pro', but my guess is they're more similar than different.
AFAIK noise is generated by gearing and internals, but I can't say for sure.
I will say that mine is nearly dead silent once it has a little seat time. It whirrs a bit at first, when you first start out, but it's nearly silent riding. Always amazes me.
But then I don't hear that well, and wind noise is always WAY louder than the motor.
I'm beyond way happy with my syncdrive. 👍

EDIT - Giant says the pro has a 5-level assist, the sport 3, but they must have updated the '19 cuz mine definitely has 5 levels and the bluetooth interface which is awesome.
I would be curious about internal differences.

Edit2: Found this vid on the 'pw-x'

Last edited:
At times I wish I had opted for the Yamaha YDXTorc bike, but it was enough more money than my Explore to choose the latter.
I would like to try a PW-X powered bike for sure.

I see the Giant Trance eMTB series have the updated motor system. It's on my shortlist. I was looking at one at my dealer and unbeknownst to me 'till later, wifey told the sales guy NOT to sell me one. :rolleyes:

😁

Last edited:
At times I wish I had opted for the Yamaha YDXTorc bike, but it was enough more money than my Explore to choose the latter.
I would like to try a PW-X powered bike for sure.

I see the Giant Trance eMTB series have the updated motor system. It's on my shortlist. I was looking at one at my dealer and unbeknownst to me 'till later, wifey told the sales guy NOT to sell me one. :rolleyes:
😁

I picked up another eBike with the PW-X motor last month and it has more power and torque than my Shimano E6000 system.

Overall a great system with lots of custom functions on the display including Cadence, Micro USB connection and Bluetooth. ;)

At my age I don’t really need high cadence support. I really need max assist at lower cadence. The yamahas do well with this.

At my age I don’t really need high cadence support. I really need max assist at lower cadence. The yamahas do well with this.

Yes they do... you may be interested in the detailed Yamaha motor specs for the PW and PW-X. ;)

Rebel motor specs.JPG

That is excellent data/specs - a very good explanation.
So back to the original query, with a lighter gearset one may or may not experience more motor noise. Now I gotta try one to compare. ;)

If you pay attention to the torque chart on the lower left it's interesting to see that the PW provides nearly the same power at lower cadences. That's kind of what I thought.
Looks like the X puts out just a little more power in its extra power mode, and slightly higher cadence support. Very cool. Perfect for eMTB's and faster road-bikes.

I've now realized the lower models from Giant have the PW, while their higher-end 'premium' models have the X-motor. With a bump in msrp as well. 👍

Back