Giant Road E vs Trek Cross rip plus

AZ Dave

Has anyone tested and compared the Giant Road E and the Trek Cross Rip Plus? I am considering an e road style bike and would welcome any observations on either bike, whether motor, ride or any aspect of either that might help in my final decision. I have not tested any as there are not many, if any, of the aforementioned bikes in the greater Phoenix area.

I haven’t had a test ride on either, but can offer some input. The main difference is the motor. A lot of people, myself included like Bosch because you can spin fast and still get some power, where as the Yamaha cuts off he power above 90rpm.

From a feature standpoint the Trek has fenders and a rear rack. Are you planning to commmute in this bike?

Thanks for your thoughts. If I go with the Trek I would remove the fenders and rack which helps lighten up a it. I would hopefully not use power all the time with either the Giant or Trek.

Dave

Don’t know about the Giant, but the Bosch motor does involve a good bit of drag when it’s off. Other then than that, I absolutely love it... 3300 miles on my Trek xm700. Its really responsive. Four levels as opposed to three on the Giant, I believe. I pretty much live in Eco, only go up when I really need to.

All the time said, that Road e is a pretty nice package. Tough call, a nice problem to have.

I went with the CrossRip (just picked it up last week). Two determining factors were: 1 the front derailleur, I just think it is overkill on an E-Bike plus the maintenance factor and 2. I am a fan of Bosch.

I bought the Giant Road e+ last year when they were first released to the US market. I used it for commute to work daily and some long weekend rides. I live in hilly areas of San Diego and this bike takes on hills with eas and I can get 60miles range on a single charge. There is no motor drag when at all when riding it with the assist off. In my opinion you get a great value for the price. In the one year that I owned I put on 3800 miles and replace the chains once and tires on my second set. I replaced the tires that come with it with the marathon plus and rides great on this bike. Never have any technical issues and I do my own chaine lube and maintenance. It is as good as I bought it the first time.

I finally had the opportunity to ride the Trek Cross Rip and it was a smooth stable ride. The most noticeable thing to me was that the Bosch motor was quieter than the ones I had ridden a year and a half ago. I like the double click shifter and the more cushioned tires, although I think if that is the bike I finally select a Body Float seat post will be added. I am going to ride the Giant Road E in the next few days and look forward to the comparison.

Hello Very Happy with the CrossRip+ and was surprised to see that "Walk" mode was enabled. I was under the impression Trek disabled this option.

Has anyone tested and compared the Giant Road E and the Trek Cross Rip Plus? I am considering an e road style bike and would welcome any observations on either bike, whether motor, ride or any aspect of either that might help in my final decision. I have not tested any as there are not many, if any, of the aforementioned bikes in the greater Phoenix area.

I am now trying to make the same decision that you were making a year ago. Which bike did you decide to go with. I'm also considering the BH Rebel Gravel X PW. I'm more tempted by the CrossRip+ just because it has all of the attachments already included.

I can't comment on the Trek but having owned the Giant for almost a year and having covered over 3300 miles I am a very happy owner, apart from a problem with water ingress in the electrics (which fixed itself) I can't fault this wonderful bike :) It just ticks all the boxes for my requirements, it can be ridden with the assist switched off due to the 22 gears! If you like descending fast you will love it, its very stable due to the low centre of gravity! Even with the lowest level of assist (my bike has 5 levels) it can climb the steepest hills I have encountered with ease!

Back