Giant Road E+ review and questions

Sorry, I missed that sentence thru sloppy reading! Do you think this bike has a lower bottom bracket than most road bikes?
The giant has a lower bottom bracket than my buddies road bike. as well, the q may be slightly wider and that could add to the problem when you lean over. My buddy drags the odd pedal if he tries to pedal some corners.

so far this year I haven't had a problem but I am riding slower due to knee issues.

Suggest you try a roade at 20 MPH then a bosche with the single front ring both with the motor off. This is why I got the giant.

Try the Shimano T8000 pedals. A little pricey, but they are cutaway on the corners (designed for touring) and I have descended with them at speed and cornered without issues. Really like them so far and the platform side has good grip with the screws.

Well I hate to be the negative one but I took my bike into the shop for a squeak and they are in the process of warranty replacing the motor. I'll update here with details once I get it back.
Sorry to hear of your motor problem :( What kind of mileage have you done and how old is your bike? obviously it must be quite new as its still in warranty so thats not good!

Sorry to hear of your motor problem :( What kind of mileage have you done and how old is your bike? obviously it must be quite new as its still in warranty so thats not good!

I'm about 3800 miles in. The bike was purchased in March 2018. I'm just bummed to not be riding and out a bike for 2 weeks! I'm taking public transport plus a foldable instead which isn't nearly as comfortable to ride.

I'm about 3800 miles in. The bike was purchased in March 2018. I'm just bummed to not be riding and out a bike for 2 weeks! I'm taking public transport plus a foldable instead which isn't nearly as comfortable to ride.
My Road E+1 Pro is exactly the same age as yours and I have covered 1000 miles more, I will be interested to see the outcome! It sucks not having your bike but at least it will be fixed under warranty, it would be a very expensive fix out of warranty...I hope you get it back soon!

New Road E+1 Pro 2019 owner here. Just joining the discussion here. Pretty excited to be joining the e-bike crowd. Couple questions for those out there:
1. Is there a way to set the wheel size in the EVO control unit? Even the stock Maxis Re-Fuse 32c tires don't even seem set very accurately
2. What happens when pedalling past the 28mph barrier (U.S.)? I feel like once I reach 26-27mph and above pedaling suddenly feels like molasses as if something is resisting me. Is it better to turn motor off when above 28mph. I can coast up to 40-45 mph on descents no problem, it is the pedaling that feels incredibly tough.

New Road E+1 Pro 2019 owner here. Just joining the discussion here. Pretty excited to be joining the e-bike crowd. Couple questions for those out there:
1. Is there a way to set the wheel size in the EVO control unit? Even the stock Maxis Re-Fuse 32c tires don't even seem set very accurately
2. What happens when pedalling past the 28mph barrier (U.S.)? I feel like once I reach 26-27mph and above pedaling suddenly feels like molasses as if something is resisting me. Is it better to turn motor off when above 28mph. I can coast up to 40-45 mph on descents no problem, it is the pedaling that feels incredibly tough.
Congrats on your new bike, I hope you have many fun rides on it :) I have the 2018 European model (15.5mph cut off) with the EVO display and there is no way to change the wheel size as far as I know! I have very slight resistance past the 15.5mph cut off, is it possible you are in too big a gear and just need to drop down a cog or two and increase your cadence?

The bike is over 44 lbs and when you are no longer receiving assistance from the motor its a hefty bike compared to an acoustic bike so it might take some time to get used to the added weight! Of course you may already be an e-biker with years of experience so apologies if that is the case. I do recall a bit more resistance when my bike was new but after 5,178 miles its defintely less noticable! I used to think there was less resistance with the motor off but now I can't say I notice any difference! After almost 17 months I just can't get enough of this amazing bike, I genuinely smile everytime I sit on it :D Even when the Scottish weather bites me on the bum ;)

My Road E+1 Pro is exactly the same age as yours and I have covered 1000 miles more, I will be interested to see the outcome! It sucks not having your bike but at least it will be fixed under warranty, it would be a very expensive fix out of warranty...I hope you get it back soon!

It had about 3,900 mi. going into the shop. They warrantied the motor so I got a whole new one and added some spacers Giant sent them. What I gathered was that the motor will shift causing the squeak...Well, about 40 mi. in the squeak came back, and it's even louder and more pronounced than before! Hah!

Happy to commute on it again, but I am going to have a more knowledgeable mechanic than me look at it and see what they think.

I feel the same thing on a 2017. I think it's the nature of the design of the motor, unfortunately. With the motor off it feels the same way.

It had about 3,900 mi. going into the shop. They warrantied the motor so I got a whole new one and added some spacers Giant sent them. What I gathered was that the motor will shift causing the squeak...Well, about 40 mi. in the squeak came back, and it's even louder and more pronounced than before! Hah!

Happy to commute on it again, but I am going to have a more knowledgeable mechanic than me look at it and see what they think.
That's not good news, makes you wonder if its something other than the motor! Or maybe they put the old motor back in...I hope you get it sorted soon!

I feel the same thing on a 2017. I think it's the nature of the design of the motor, unfortunately. With the motor off it feels the same way.
I experimented yesterday on a long mild descent where I could coast about 32mph. In Eco mode when I pedalled it felt like a very strong resistance. Switching motor off, it definitely felt less resistance in pedaling though nowhere as resistance free and light as my regular road bike. Hard to get a direct sense of things because the difference in weight between the bikes.

Congrats on your new bike, I hope you have many fun rides on it :) I have the 2018 European model (15.5mph cut off) with the EVO display and there is no way to change the wheel size as far as I know! I have very slight resistance past the 15.5mph cut off, is it possible you are in too big a gear and just need to drop down a cog or two and increase your cadence?

The bike is over 44 lbs and when you are no longer receiving assistance from the motor its a hefty bike compared to an acoustic bike so it might take some time to get used to the added weight! Of course you may already be an e-biker with years of experience so apologies if that is the case. I do recall a bit more resistance when my bike was new but after 5,178 miles its defintely less noticable! I used to think there was less resistance with the motor off but now I can't say I notice any difference! After almost 17 months I just can't get enough of this amazing bike, I genuinely smile everytime I sit on it :D Even when the Scottish weather bites me on the bum ;)
I am a brand new e-biker! After more than 100K miles on regular bikes this is very different. It's going to require a learning curve to get use to for sure. Thanks for the congrats!

I am a brand new e-biker! After more than 100K miles on regular bikes this is very different. It's going to require a learning curve to get use to for sure. Thanks for the congrats!
I'm sure you will soon get used to it and yes its very different! I got home from work tonight and it was a lovely evening for a ride so I repeated a ride I did last Thursday and it was a total blast, just under 37 miles and 3,300 ft of climbing which is where this bike excels :D If I did this on my acoustic bike I wouldn't be fit for work tomorrow ;) I'm sure once you get more miles under your belt you will love the e bike and you should notice the motor resistance easing a bit, I hardly notice it now!

What I meant was that with the assist system totally shut down in the off mode do you feel resistance at the pedals then? Or is the drag you feel some days while the assist is on a result perhaps of some sort of electronic resonance?
I have a 2020 fastroad e plus 2 the bike fantastic then you hit 25kph it feels like I'm towing a car...the amount of torque is huge only really need 3 gears and once it gets to 25kph forget trying to go any faster completely spoils a great bike

I have a 2020 fastroad e plus 2 the bike fantastic then you hit 25kph it feels like I'm towing a car...the amount of torque is huge only really need 3 gears and once it gets to 25kph forget trying to go any faster completely spoils a great bike
Moved the magnet to the crank no more cut out now it's a dream to ride smooth fast 50kph on a nice flat road

Back