Giant Road E+ review and questions

Been a bit absent lately,but hi to Dave glad your enjoying your bike.
Had a few problems with mine recently, creeking from headstock & crank & the screen misting up also a knocking from back wheel.
Too it to shop last week & picked it last night after they found the head stock & crank had came loose, the screen was replaced under warranty along with a new chain which had a broken link & the rear wheel bearing needed to be adjusted.
I should of had the first service done when I took it in to have the tyres made tubeless but I think they forgot at the time.
As to the resistance when over the 15.5mph the bike seems to be getting better now & I’m enjoying the tubeless tyres they run very well.

I switched to the Ultegra 12-25. The shifting with the long arm derailleur was very poor. I switched to the short arm version of the Ultegra der. and it was all good.

Been a bit absent lately,but hi to Dave glad your enjoying your bike.
Had a few problems with mine recently, creeking from headstock & crank & the screen misting up also a knocking from back wheel.
Too it to shop last week & picked it last night after they found the head stock & crank had came loose, the screen was replaced under warranty along with a new chain which had a broken link & the rear wheel bearing needed to be adjusted.
I should of had the first service done when I took it in to have the tyres made tubeless but I think they forgot at the time.
As to the resistance when over the 15.5mph the bike seems to be getting better now & I’m enjoying the tubeless tyres they run very well.
You seem to be very unlucky, glad you have it all sorted now! Good to hear the resistance problem has improved :) Mine was 1 year old last week and going great, almost 3,900 miles on the clock now after doing 104 miles last Sunday :D

i've had the spanner/wrench pop up when the rear wheel's magnet was off the path of the sensor. the motor's assist noticeably decreases.

in regards to shifting, i try to soft pedal, then shift when my dominant foot is at 6 or 12 o'clock. this seems to work pretty well.

how is everyone in terms of the motor and battery capacity? my 2 concerns long-term are a) will the motor last 10k miles? and b) when will the motor hit 80% capacity? personally i haven't had any motor-specific issues and i am at 2800 miles today and my battery capacity is somewhere between 75-100%.

Thinking about miles in the last 2 years I’m on my 5th road e, the most miles on one bike was 320 & the others between 50 & 200 .
I had to wait 3 months for the 2019 model & only got 50 miles on that one before it had to be changed.
I think if I would of been on my original bike now I would in thousands.?

Thinking about miles in the last 2 years I’m on my 5th road e, the most miles on one bike was 320 & the others between 50 & 200 .
I had to wait 3 months for the 2019 model & only got 50 miles on that one before it had to be changed.
I think if I would of been on my original bike now I would in thousands.?

So, would you recommend one?

So, would you recommend one?
I wouldn’t for all the hassle over the last 2 years, but I can’t fault Giant’s warranty & im lucky to have had a great dealer close to me.
I’ve tried the cube & that didn’t really have the power of the giant for my type of riding & routes I like to ride.
so I’m glad I still have the road e.

I wouldn’t for all the hassle over the last 2 years, but I can’t fault Giant’s warranty & im lucky to have had a great dealer close to me.
I’ve tried the cube & that didn’t really have the power of the giant for my type of riding & routes I like to ride.
so I’m glad I still have the road e.

The Giant Road E + is on my short list. What kind of trouble have you had that the bikes had to be replaced? I may need to look at the Yamaha.

The Giant Road E + is on my short list. What kind of trouble have you had that the bikes had to be replaced? I may need to look at the Yamaha.

The first 3 bikes with the alu forks kept breaking, the stem was resin glued at the top & not welded.
Giant actually designed a new fork for it last year & it broke in 200 miles.
Dec 2018 they gave me the 2019 model with carbon fork & that lasted 50 miles, the steering went all loose & that was the top head bearing wouldn’t seat into the head tube.
The shop said it was a manufacturing fault & giant will replace bike.
My present bike went in last week with faults on my earlier post, but I took it out Sunday & Giant have sent the wrong evo display unit,it’s for a mountain bike.
My headstock is still creeking & steering getting stiffer?, so it has to go back again.
The shop said they haven’t had any problems with the S & M size frames & only really my L frame, the 2019 bike gave me the option of a XL which I’m on.
I do think that I’ve been really unlucky & a test rider for Giant?, but it is a nice bike to ride with good battery life & strong motor.

The first 3 bikes with the alu forks kept breaking, the stem was resin glued at the top & not welded.
Giant actually designed a new fork for it last year & it broke in 200 miles.
Dec 2018 they gave me the 2019 model with carbon fork & that lasted 50 miles, the steering went all loose & that was the top head bearing wouldn’t seat into the head tube.
The shop said it was a manufacturing fault & giant will replace bike.
My present bike went in last week with faults on my earlier post, but I took it out Sunday & Giant have sent the wrong evo display unit,it’s for a mountain bike.
My headstock is still creeking & steering getting stiffer?, so it has to go back again.
The shop said they haven’t had any problems with the S & M size frames & only really my L frame, the 2019 bike gave me the option of a XL which I’m on.
I do think that I’ve been really unlucky & a test rider for Giant?, but it is a nice bike to ride with good battery life & strong motor.

Thank you very much, you may have saved me a lot of money.

Well since getting my bike back I took it for a short 20 mile run & it creeped the whole time.
It’s been at the shop this week & they think there is a problem with the motor, it’s double engaging on take off & knocking while riding.
We are both in agreement that I’m not having this bike repaired or replaced as too much has gone on the last 2 years.
There speaking to giant now to refund my money & return the bike.
We have talked of me trying a full carbon lightweight bike & see how I like it but really I just like to go out & enjoy my ride up steep hills around the area.
So hopefully a cube hybrid will be on my list.

Well since getting my bike back I took it for a short 20 mile run & it creeped the whole time.
It’s been at the shop this week & they think there is a problem with the motor, it’s double engaging on take off & knocking while riding.
We are both in agreement that I’m not having this bike repaired or replaced as too much has gone on the last 2 years.
There speaking to giant now to refund my money & return the bike.
We have talked of me trying a full carbon lightweight bike & see how I like it but really I just like to go out & enjoy my ride up steep hills around the area.
So hopefully a cube hybrid will be on my list.

I hope you find your ideal replacement, so you can carry on climbing those hills? Keep us all updated with your decision?

1. After a month or so of riding I had a really unpleasant experience when the bike decided that it would not give me any "boost" above 10 or 12 miles per hour -- I struggled to complete a 30 mile ride and returned the bike to my LBS expecting the worst. After several calls to Giant one of their mechanics suggested that the controller may have gone into DEMO mode. He explained that bike shops can limit the speed and "boost" by pressing the LIGHT button 5 times in rapid succession. Doing the same again returns all to normal. That is what had happened even though no one had ever pressed the light button so much. Please note that the display never gives any indication of being in this mode.

Uh, thank you so much for this post.
It hit me on my second ride; I thought I was more unfit than I am and that peddling became a whole lot tougher for the same journey or that bike was broken already.
This was about the only post I saw referring to this. Shame it's not alluded to in the manual or there isn't a symbol at the very least.

I hope you find your ideal replacement, so you can carry on climbing those hills? Keep us all updated with your decision?
Well I have the Trek Domane+, 170 miles in & no problems yet.
Full carbon frame, so feels very good with isospeed to take out the bumps? very pleased.

Attachments

• 22D5233D-63A9-46C4-A560-3C0287E0A17B.jpeg
    22D5233D-63A9-46C4-A560-3C0287E0A17B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 460
  • C27227E8-8211-40DE-A336-88AD230A5110.jpeg
    C27227E8-8211-40DE-A336-88AD230A5110.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 459
I had my first mechanical problem today, rear wheel bearings shot after only 4600 miles! Time for an upgrade anyway, I'm so glad it happened near home...

I had my first mechanical problem today, rear wheel bearings shot after only 4600 miles! Time for an upgrade anyway, I'm so glad it happened near home...

Yeah lucky. Punctures never do, why is that? Them bearings have some work to do though Rab? I believe the Giant is a reasonably heavy machine, compared to a standard road bike?

Yeah lucky. Punctures never do, why is that? Them bearings have some work to do though Rab? I believe the Giant is a reasonably heavy machine, compared to a standard road bike?
I guess so but I would expect sealed bearings to last way longer! I sure hope they do on my next set of wheels...maybe slowing down a bit would help? ;)

Punctures are an easy fix (mostly) so give me a puncture any day compared to shot wheel bearings :p

I guess so but I would expect sealed bearings to last way longer! I sure hope they do on my next set of wheels...maybe slowing down a bit would help? ;)

Punctures are an easy fix (mostly) so give me a puncture any day compared to shot wheel bearings :p

Can't argue with what you say Rab, you thinking of new wheels then?

Can't argue with what you say Rab, you thinking of new wheels then?
I was going to upgrade the wheels when I bought the bike but decided to see how they went and up until now they did an ok job, upgrading for sure now!

Back