Giant Road E+ review and questions

"the worse thing is the drag after 16.5mph is very noticeable"

That is an interesting observation. If you turn off the assist altogether is there still noticeable drag at the cranks while riding? Or is it just a function of some sort of electrical interference past the cut off.

Yes the motor is off once I’m above the limit some days it feels like more drag than others,but i found the 2017 bike didn’t resist at all.

Yes the motor is off once I’m above the limit some days it feels like more drag than others,but i found the 2017 bike didn’t resist at all.

What I meant was that with the assist system totally shut down in the off mode do you feel resistance at the pedals then? Or is the drag you feel some days while the assist is on a result perhaps of some sort of electronic resonance?

I would say it’s in the pedals, it’s going in for it’s first service next week & will get them to have a look.

I posted before on giant problems page about the 2016 & 2017 road e+1 bikes, so I had to wait 3 months for a 2019 model to arrive in the uk.
This is my 4th road e in 2 years so in November 2018 it comes to the shop & after 75 miles on the clock & the steering went stiff on the left side, took it to the shop & after a couple days they rang to say the head tube on the frame was not manufactured correctly & the top bearing was not seating correctly & the bike had to go back again.
1 week later another bike turns up & 130miles in at the moment all is ok.
Thinks I like about the 2019 model are the Bluetooth app that works with the phone giving me quite a comprehensive choice of tuning the motor & power to pedals etc.
The Ultegra levers seem a lot smoother.
I find the new pro motor not as quiet as the synch sport & the worse thing is the drag after 16.5mph is very noticeable.
I have it booked in to go tubeless as there tubeless ready & it will be a first for me.
I have been very lucky to have a great bike shop very close to me who have been great 5***** & Giants warranty has been great too.
I have a 2018 model with the pro motor and I have never noticed the drag you speak of, although I usually switch the assist off when I pass the cutoff! On my next ride I will try leaving the assist on and report my findings. Its possible the motor just needs more miles (mine has covered over 3000 miles) but I'm no expert! I hope you have more luck with this model, it seems you have been very unlucky!

I have a 2018 model with the pro motor and I have never noticed the drag you speak of, although I usually switch the assist off when I pass the cutoff! On my next ride I will try leaving the assist on and report my findings. Its possible the motor just needs more miles (mine has covered over 3000 miles) but I'm no expert! I hope you have more luck with this model, it seems you have been very unlucky!

My motor is off rabh & its holding back,
You must use ur bike daily to get 3000 miles ?

That's strange, I have never noticed any drag and I'm guessing we have the same motor! Hopefully its just because its not broken in properly yet and it will free off for you! Mainly just Sundays actually but I like to get the miles in ;) My average mileage is just under 60 miles:p

That's strange, I have never noticed any drag and I'm guessing we have the same motor! Hopefully its just because its not broken in properly yet and it will free off for you! Mainly just Sundays actually but I like to get the miles in ;) My average mileage is just under 60 miles:p
I too only get 1 day a week on it about 30miles. but got to walk the dog as well,so I head off about 730am then home for 9 ish.
In the summer I usually get about 60miles a week & swap with my other bike a defy 4 every other ride.
I also have my motorbike to play with so I’m busy riding all of them or one might get jealous ???.

I too only get 1 day a week on it about 30miles. but got to walk the dog as well,so I head off about 730am then home for 9 ish.
In the summer I usually get about 60miles a week & swap with my other bike a defy 4 every other ride.
I also have my motorbike to play with so I’m busy riding all of them or one might get jealous ???.
I have a motorbike also and its hard to choose in the summer months, especially since I got my e bike ;)

I was experementing yesterday and I think I know what you mean now, if you move off with assist on and hit the cutoff speed it does feel like its putting the brakes on! This is when I switch the assist off and as soon as I do that the drag disappears! I'm guessing this isn't happening with yours and the drag continues? If I switch the assist on while I'm moving and pass the cutoff limit I don't feel any drag, it only happens from a standing start!

I was experementing yesterday and I think I know what you mean now, if you move off with assist on and hit the cutoff speed it does feel like its putting the brakes on! This is when I switch the assist off and as soon as I do that the drag disappears! I'm guessing this isn't happening with yours and the drag continues? If I switch the assist on while I'm moving and pass the cutoff limit I don't feel any drag, it only happens from a standing start!

It feels like some days I get more drag than others, it’s not brake drag but feels like it, I had a heavy day on the ? yesterday watching England beat Ireland ?.
So looked out the back 730am this morning & it’s -2c white frost, decided to go back to bed.

It feels like some days I get more drag than others, it’s not brake drag but feels like it, I had a heavy day on the ? yesterday watching England beat Ireland ?.
So looked out the back 730am this morning & it’s -2c white frost, decided to go back to bed.
Hopefully more miles will cure it for you! I got a bonus ride in today, it was snowing heavily this morning but it melted in the afternoon:D There was still snow up in the hills of course;) I just love this bike even more with every ride, today was very windy but the bike just laughed at it:p

Attachments

• 20190203_145523.jpg
    20190203_145523.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 478
It hard sitting here reading your posts about getting out riding. Currently its -27c outside. Here's hoping for some warm weather to arrive in March to allow a couple of rides.

PS - felt my bike was "dragging" at times. Took the motor cover off left side to confirm the oneway was functioning correctly. Have the same feeling with my mtn bike hub drive from time to time. I have chalked it up to me not realizing how much help the motor is giving and then when I hit a limit and its all my legs I feel like its dragging. There is a good thread under Yamaha that discusses this a bit.

It hard sitting here reading your posts about getting out riding. Currently its -27c outside. Here's hoping for some warm weather to arrive in March to allow a couple of rides.

PS - felt my bike was "dragging" at times. Took the motor cover off left side to confirm the oneway was functioning correctly. Have the same feeling with my mtn bike hub drive from time to time. I have chalked it up to me not realizing how much help the motor is giving and then when I hit a limit and its all my legs I feel like its dragging. There is a good thread under Yamaha that discusses this a bit.
That sure isn't cycling weather, I hope it warms up for you soon and you can enjoy your bike once again! I'm sure March can't come quick enough for you but it will be here before you know it :)

Good day, all - I am a new member on the forum and thought I would take a few minutes to introduce myself and post some observations that I have made on the Giant Road-E+1 Pro that I purchased a few months ago.

I have been a road rider since 1988 and generally ride 7000+ miles per year. Some cardiac issues last fall convinced me to consider an e-bike and I am thrilled with the experience.

When I looked at the Giant road bike I liked what I saw with one major exception, it came with Shimano components. I have been a Campy guy since I started riding and asked my local bike shop to contact Giant to see if installing Campy components would be a problem. They reported that it could be done. I ordered the bike and my mechanic removed the Shimano shift levers and rear derailleur and installed Campy Chorus components. While some vestiges of the original drive train remain, from my perspective the shifting and braking are all as I have known it for decades.

Now for some observations.

1. After a month or so of riding I had a really unpleasant experience when the bike decided that it would not give me any "boost" above 10 or 12 miles per hour -- I struggled to complete a 30 mile ride and returned the bike to my LBS expecting the worst. After several calls to Giant one of their mechanics suggested that the controller may have gone into DEMO mode. He explained that bike shops can limit the speed and "boost" by pressing the LIGHT button 5 times in rapid succession. Doing the same again returns all to normal. That is what had happened even though no one had ever pressed the light button so much. Please note that the display never gives any indication of being in this mode.

2. The battery will not charge when very cold. After a ride in the teens (Fahrenheit) I plugged in the charger and the LED on it stayed green. Suspecting a temperature related issue I waited a few hours (leaving the bike in my warm garage) and it charged as it normally does. I have read that lithium batteries don't like to be charged when cold so this makes perfect sense. As to using the bike in cold weather that has not been an issue.

3. I was surprised a few weeks ago when a message appeared on the display that said that my e-bike needed service and a small wrench icon appeared on the screen. I fired up the App and did a quick review of the bike and it showed all systems to be A-OK. It turns out that the bike is set to give this message after about 1200 miles (2000 km, perhaps). My LBS was able to reset this and remove the wrench icon from the display. The interval to the next such message was changed to 4000 km

4. My display shows a speed that is about 2.5% high - I have found no way to adjust wheel diameter nor has my LBS.

5. I changed the % boost for the 5 levels using the phone APP. I generally stay in the ECO range and have it dropped from 100% to 75%. This is usually more than enough assistance for me and the battery is good for well of 60+ miles in hilly Western Pennsylvania.

6. The tires have been great. I have about 1500 miles on the bike and they rarely need air and show very little wear.

7. When using the APP (I have an Android phone) make sure you cleanly exit the APP after connecting or the controller may hang. I just keep hitting the BACK button on the phone till is asks if I am SURE I want to exit.

All in all I love the bike and am considering ordering another set of wheels with heavier tread to use on the local trails.

I hope something in my musings has been of use to you.

dave

Welcome Dave, I'm glad you are enjoying your bike :) I had a similar problem re the lack of boost but thankfully it cleared itself and has never recurred! I'm a Shimano man so I kept mine stock, mechanically it has been perfect so no complaints from me. I also had my service indicator appear during my last ride and I have it booked in for service this Saturday, will be glad to see the back of that annoying spanner ;)

I have covered almost 3,500 miles since last April and loved every minute, it makes me smile every ride:D I also use eco mode for the most part, it gets me up almost any hill less than 15% gradient! My average distance over my last 3 rides is 80 miles, I'm making the most of our early Spring weather here in Scotland while it lasts ;)

Welcome Dave, I'm glad you are enjoying your bike :) I had a similar problem re the lack of boost but thankfully it cleared itself and has never recurred! I'm a Shimano man so I kept mine stock, mechanically it has been perfect so no complaints from me. I also had my service indicator appear during my last ride and I have it booked in for service this Saturday, will be glad to see the back of that annoying spanner ;)

I have covered almost 3,500 miles since last April and loved every minute, it makes me smile every ride:D I also use eco mode for the most part, it gets me up almost any hill less than 15% gradient! My average distance over my last 3 rides is 80 miles, I'm making the most of our early Spring weather here in Scotland while it lasts ;)

I envy you the early Spring weather - I continue to ride throughout the winter but this cold weather, snow and rain is getting boring!

Our local ground hog predicts the end of winter and says we will have an early Spring - I surely hope so.

dave

I envy you the early Spring weather - I continue to ride throughout the winter but this cold weather, snow and rain is getting boring!

Our local ground hog predicts the end of winter and says we will have an early Spring - I surely hope so.

dave[/QUOT

I saw the weather Washington Post is predicting for next few days! Ain't gonna be an early Spring, more of the same, with no end in sight.

dave
I too continue riding in winter, although I'm sure your winter is much harsher than ours! I know we will have a sting in the tail though, the good weather will end this Saturday but Sunday might be ok with just rain showers! I hope your local ground hog's prediction comes true and you get to enjoy the improving weather :)

Still working on getting my 2019 Road E set up to work for my riding. The 11-32 cassette gearing is really hard to get used to. The 32 is useful for pulling tractors and trailers out of ditches. The jumps between gears are just too big. Yes the assist helps but I think that in the same way having very small jumps between gears makes it easier on the legs it will also make it easier on the battery range. This is yet to be confirmed. I was contemplating getting a 12-25 cassette but wasn't sure about that. Completely, at random, we ran into another Road E owner on the Santa Ana River Bike Trail who was going to get a 12-25 too and so I went for it, too. The only change was that I upgraded to the Ultegra cassette as someone here had indicated the shifting was improved over the stock 105 cassette. The only issue I hit on this change is that the GS long arm version of the derailer that comes on the Road E is having a hard time shifting over the smaller cogs. I am going to switch out to the matching SS model.

Attachments

• 2019-03-01 12.26.58.jpg
    2019-03-01 12.26.58.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 444
Hey Richard,

I have the 12-25 new in the Box. Was waiting for biking season to get underway up here before I swap out the 11-32.
I like you was looking for smaller spacing between the gears and didn't feel I needed the upper 11 tooth.
What was the specific problem you ran into with the shifting?

EDIT
I just went out to the garage (-30C) and checked and mine is a 12-28 not 12-25.

Last edited:
Back