Giant Quick-e 2018 S5 only providing assistance up to 14MPH

harshaw

Hello -

I live in the US and have a Giant Quick-e 2018 that has for the last 16 months worked great and provided rider assist up to 28MPH. To be honest, the assistance was never *exactly* to 28 MPH, but close enough.

Recently, I believe after the latest firmware update from ride control the bike now only provides assist up to 14 MPH. The issue is clearly software as it shuts off right at 14 MPH. As noted elsewhere, the firmware update process was very painful. It took 4 or 5 attempts to update the firmware. My guess is that somehow my bike was either 1) set to run in a different locale that doesn't by law support up to 28MPH or 2) something else broke during the firmware update process.

I have not modified my bike and verified that the spoke magnet in in the correct place. Unfortunately the Giant branded bicycle shop that sold me the bike has gone out of business (Boston). The one local giant shop I used doesn't support Giant e-bikes.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Things I am considering:

1) Working to find a giant dealer that can reset the firmware.
2) Is there anything I can do to reset the firmware? or secret codes to reset to 28MPH mode?
3) Anyone have a direct contact for giant customer support? Giant seems to be organized to not provide direct supoprt. However, it doesn't make sense that a LBS has the tools to provide support for a software issue.

Hello -

I live in the US and have a Giant Quick-e 2018 that has for the last 16 months worked great and provided rider assist up to 28MPH. To be honest, the assistance was never *exactly* to 28 MPH, but close enough.

Recently, I believe after the latest firmware update from ride control the bike now only provides assist up to 14 MPH. The issue is clearly software as it shuts off right at 14 MPH. As noted elsewhere, the firmware update process was very painful. It took 4 or 5 attempts to update the firmware. My guess is that somehow my bike was either 1) set to run in a different locale that doesn't by law support up to 28MPH or 2) something else broke during the firmware update process.

I have not modified my bike and verified that the spoke magnet in in the correct place. Unfortunately the Giant branded bicycle shop that sold me the bike has gone out of business (Boston). The one local giant shop I used doesn't support Giant e-bikes.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Things I am considering:

1) Working to find a giant dealer that can reset the firmware.
2) Is there anything I can do to reset the firmware? or secret codes to reset to 28MPH mode?
3) Anyone have a direct contact for giant customer support? Giant seems to be organized to not provide direct supoprt. However, it doesn't make sense that a LBS has the tools to provide support for a software issue.
I had heard (a few months ago) that there was a way to put the bike in "demo" mode, which supposedly limits the speed. I wonder if maybe your last update caused something like that to be set. You might try searching for demo mode or something similar to see if that helps.

Other than that, I guess you'll just have to find a Giant dealer.

Good luck!

There‘s a thread here called Possible Giant Hack wherein a similar thing happened to a Quick E, I believe. It kicked into Demo mode somehow, and the owner was able to get it back to normal by turning on the power button and clicking the Light button five times. Who knows?

Back