Giant GLI270CA charger output?

Pay Jota

I am living down in Mexico for a few months and have a friend who brought her brand new Liv Embolden+2 down. Suddenly her bike is not charging.

Her charger, listed in the title, is a Giant charger employing the 5 pin D plug. This is a smart charger for a 36v system that puts out 41v supposedly. It also has an adaptor as the plug on the battery and the plug on the bike frame are different. Anyway, I have tested the voltage output of the charger directly from the charger as well as through the adaptor. I show zero volts coming out.

I have concluded it's probably dead, but........I suppose it's conceivable that the charger, being a smart charger, doesnt output until it makes some kind of "handshake" with the internal circuit of the battery.

So, I am asking if anyone owning this charger can put a voltmeter on the two charging pins and see if it is outputing voltage without the batter attached.

This person will not let me open up the charger itself to check for a blown fuse or something else, as it is still under warranty. I can respect that concern. These are expensive chargers, but getting warranty work in Mexico is not easy.

Thanks for any information anyone can give. Poor gal cant go riding with the ladies MTB group down here.

BTW, I am seeing a charger listed in posts as a GLI270C (not CA). If you have one of those, you might test the output on that one, too. Not sure of the differences.

I am in Australia so I have a slightly different model (CLI270A), but firstly the LED on your charger should light up (flashing green and red when you turn it on and then steady red until you connect it to a bike or battery). I also checked the voltage on the D conector and I am getting 41.2v between the two main pins.

Thank you so much. That confirms the problem is the charger, IMO.

It does go through that self-test sequence of lights and then steady red. But no output.

Back