Giant Explore vs Liv Amiti

RandallS

Region
Canada
City
Calgary
I have been shopping for a new ride and have an Explore E +4 STA with my name on it at a local shop, but I'm still on the fence due to some minor issues - including the mushy fork.
This model does not have a lock-out feature (as I understand it) but the E +2 does.
In fact - it was the E +2 that I was originally going to buy if I could find one.
As it turns out, there's none available anywhere nearby in a Medium frame size.

For sizing purposes, I rode the E+4 in medium and I thought it was correct for me and may still be my next ride.

Fast forward to today, and I was looking at the stock of a shop 300 Km away, and they have a Liv Amite E+2 in medium.
Looking at the specs and geometry, the two are very, very similar. Browneye has commented on the model similarities in another thread, as his wife has the Liv .

Some key differences:
  • Saddle (no big deal)
  • Lighting (no big deal)
  • Rated torque (with the same Yamaha motor - might be an issue)
    • Explore E +2 is 80Nm
    • Amite E +2 is 70Nm
Most geometry is very close, and my brain says the differences may work in my favour in getting a slightly more upright stance.

For the Giant aficionados here, does anyone know if the real world torque will really be different?
If it is, could the motor be tuned differently - ergo apply an Explore tune to a Liv packaged bike?

Giant Explore E+2 Tech.JPG Liv Amite E+2 Tech.JPG
Explore E+2.JPG Liv Amite E+2.JPG
Geometry.JPG

The local dealer says he may in fact have some Giant MY2021 info for me by the end of the week.
If a better equipped Explore is coming, maybe with a Pro motor and a better suspension, I may just wait as my current ride is still OK.

Explore offered a Pro model this year but unfortunately it doesn't ship to US, Just the Explore E+2 and E+4. New 2021 Models??? Info, Pics and details please!

No - these are 2020 versions but in Canada.

Their product offerings in different countries is confusing and to be honest, doesn't make sense to me.

Hi Randall, I have a 2019 Explore E+3, and it is rated for 70Nm torque and that has been more than enough for me. Totally satisfied with the power for the bike's intended use (roads, pups, trails and maybe a little off road use but not really mountain biking). I think the only time you might notice that extra 10Nm is if you were offroad riding it in rough terrain like a mountain bike.

There would be only two things I think the SyncDrive Sport is lacking. First, is the 20mph speed limit, it would be great to make it a Class III 28mph. The second is the cadence. 2019 supported up to 110 rpms, but they bumped that up in 2020 models to up to 130 rpms.

I have been shopping for a new ride and have an Explore E +4 STA with my name on it at a local shop, but I'm still on the fence due to some minor issues - including the mushy fork.
This model does not have a lock-out feature (as I understand it) but the E +2 does.
In fact - it was the E +2 that I was originally going to buy if I could find one.
As it turns out, there's none available anywhere nearby in a Medium frame size.

For sizing purposes, I rode the E+4 in medium and I thought it was correct for me and may still be my next ride.

Fast forward to today, and I was looking at the stock of a shop 300 Km away, and they have a Liv Amite E+2 in medium.
Looking at the specs and geometry, the two are very, very similar. Browneye has commented on the model similarities in another thread, as his wife has the Liv .

Some key differences:
  • Saddle (no big deal)
  • Lighting (no big deal)
  • Rated torque (with the same Yamaha motor - might be an issue)
    • Explore E +2 is 80Nm
    • Amite E +2 is 70Nm
Most geometry is very close, and my brain says the differences may work in my favour in getting a slightly more upright stance.

For the Giant aficionados here, does anyone know if the real world torque will really be different?
If it is, could the motor be tuned differently - ergo apply an Explore tune to a Liv packaged bike?

View attachment 58068 View attachment 58069
View attachment 58070 View attachment 58071
View attachment 58072

The local dealer says he may in fact have some Giant MY2021 info for me by the end of the week.
If a better equipped Explore is coming, maybe with a Pro motor and a better suspension, I may just wait as my current ride is still OK.
Please post any MY2021 info !

What I have heard, tentatively, is for Canada, MY2021 will have an Explore E +1 with a Yamaha Pro motor and a 625 watt battery for around $4500. I also understand the E+2 will likely remain as-is. I have no other details and of course, if you are not in Canada, who knows what you'll get.

This is, of course, not validated in any way, but once I heard about the potential of the +1, I declined the purchase of the 2020 E +4. It also has me reticent to take a chance on the Liv Amiti E +2.

My fallback is still a Specialized, as the +1 pricing is in line with a Vado 4. I am not afraid of spending $$$ but I want power and range (plus other performance) to go with style and to some degree, comfort.

@RandallS, honestly, North America, and especially Canada are treated badly by Giant - we're getting better models in Europe. Add to it this year's crisis -- all good e-bikes were sold out early. The Specialized sales was limited to the U.S. only, etc. etc. I wouldn't like to spoil your Summer but let me tell you honestly: perhaps don't rush to just get any e-bike? Is it possible for you to wait until the Autumn when new models for 2021 should arrive?

I see three options for you:
  1. Look broader. Why Giant?! If you by chance can have a Bulls Bikes dealer nearby, inspect Bulls e-bikes. One of the dealers in Canada (found at random):
    Bulls e-bikes are typically powered by Brose motors, the same as used in Specialized Turbo e-bikes. German brand, high quality. Or,

2. Take the Amiti E+ 2 but not any lower model. The specs are good even if not fantastic, or
  3. Wait for 2021 models. Then you can look at, say, better Giant models, or perhaps a Vado?

@RandallS, honestly, North America, and especially Canada are treated badly by Giant - we're getting better models in Europe. Add to it this year's crisis -- all good e-bikes were sold out early. The Specialized sales was limited to the U.S. only, etc. etc. I wouldn't like to spoil your Summer but let me tell you honestly: perhaps don't rush to just get any e-bike? Is it possible for you to wait until the Autumn when new models for 2021 should arrive?

I see three options for you:
  1. Look broader. Why Giant?! If you by chance can have a Bulls Bikes dealer nearby, inspect Bulls e-bikes. One of the dealers in Canada (found at random):
    Bulls e-bikes are typically powered by Brose motors, the same as used in Specialized Turbo e-bikes. German brand, high quality. Or,

2. Take the Amiti E+ 2 but not any lower model. The specs are good even if not fantastic, or
  3. Wait for 2021 models. Then you can look at, say, better Giant models, or perhaps a Vado?
Stefan, you and I are on the same page. I have a perfectly serviceable bike, as long as I pay attention to my trip odometer and make sure my bike rack is loaded in my wife's car if needed.

It's not sporty and I can't go superfast, but for toodling (a new word for you) around the city on bike paths it's pretty good.

There is a Bulls dealer near me and I have looked at them. They have an Evo Lite on sale but it's an older model. I am bound and determined to buy the correct bike for me, and I will, as usual, research it to death.

Toodling=leisurely, stressless, sometimes aimless activity. Sometimes spelled tootling.

Pottering = to move around without hurrying, and in a relaxed and pleasant way .

Toodling = Messing around, fucking around, goofing around, not doing what you're supposed to be doing, fartin' around, aimless wander.

Pottering = to move around without hurrying, and in a relaxed and pleasant way .

Toodling = Messing around, fucking around, goofing around, not doing what you're supposed to be doing, fartin' around, aimless wander.
Yup, that's often me...both of them. Must be regional differences in use.

Just to resurrect this thread a bit. As per my LBS, for 2021 Canada gets the Explore e + 1 Pro (pro motor), the Explore e + 4 (sport motor) and possibly (May have misheard this) the Explore e + 2 (sport motor), and also Liv Amiti e + 2 and Amiti e + 4 (both with sport motors). Not many changes with the + 2 and + 4 in Explore and Amiti except that the + 2’s no longer have double chain rings up front.

wife and I placed an order for 2021 Explore e + 1 Pro and Liv Amiti e + 2. Cant wait. 😊

Just to resurrect this thread a bit. As per my LBS, for 2021 Canada gets the Explore e + 1 Pro (pro motor), the Explore e + 4 (sport motor) and possibly (May have misheard this) the Explore e + 2 (sport motor), and also Liv Amiti e + 2 and Amiti e + 4 (both with sport motors). Not many changes with the + 2 and + 4 in Explore and Amiti except that the + 2’s no longer have double chain rings up front.

wife and I placed an order for 2021 Explore e + 1 Pro and Liv Amiti e + 2. Cant wait. 😊
I think you will really enjoy those bikes - the Pro motor is very powerful, but the Sport is plenty good as well.
I am 95Kg, and the Sport had no trouble on the climbs I tested when demoing the E +4.

I chose to go to a more trail oriented bike, the Fathom E+1 Pro, but I am sure I would have been happy with the Explore as well.
All that was available to me was a 2020 E+4, and the components (and battery) were not up to the standards I wanted. I live next to a very large urban park (Nose Hill in Calgary) and there's lots of places where the Fathom was more suitable than the Explore.

Have they given you a timeline?

I think you will really enjoy those bikes - the Pro motor is very powerful, but the Sport is plenty good as well.
I am 95Kg, and the Sport had no trouble on the climbs I tested when demoing the E +4.

I chose to go to a more trail oriented bike, the Fathom E+1 Pro, but I am sure I would have been happy with the Explore as well.
All that was available to me was a 2020 E+4, and the components (and battery) were not up to the standards I wanted. I live next to a very large urban park (Nose Hill in Calgary) and there's lots of places where the Fathom was more suitable than the Explore.

Have they given you a timeline?

My wife and I are doing more city riding, rail trails and local park trails so I think the bikes will be fine for that. As for timeline; anything from 6 to 8 weeks........to the end of the year. Basically LBS has no idea due to the intermittent deliveries of their orders so far.

Hello Gbart, I have $ down for an Explore E+2 and concerned about missing out on the Pro engine and EVO display so I'm looking to upgrade an place similar order to yours, Explore E+1 Pro. I've been searching for specs for the Canadian MY 2021 and no luck thus far. Can you provide a link or other please?

PS: I'm 63 and I've had enough of having to walk my Giant Cypress LX (>20 years old) up some of the steep hills around Calgary and wherever we go trekking in British Columbia. My wife thinks I'm not ready for an e-bike (a form of compliment I guess...) but my Dr. advised I should! Brilliant, Dr's orders...

Hello Gbart, I have $ down for an Explore E+2 and concerned about missing out on the Pro engine and EVO display so I'm looking to upgrade an place similar order to yours, Explore E+1 Pro. I've been searching for specs for the Canadian MY 2021 and no luck thus far. Can you provide a link or other please?

PS: I'm 63 and I've had enough of having to walk my Giant Cypress LX (>20 years old) up some of the steep hills around Calgary and wherever we go trekking in British Columbia. My wife thinks I'm not ready for an e-bike (a form of compliment I guess...) but my Dr. advised I should! Brilliant, Dr's orders...

Haha. What did the “Dr’s orders” cost you? 😊 🍾

I also wanted the Pro motor and the double chainrings. There is still very little Info available for the Explore e +1 Pro. Nothing on any Canadian sites that I’ve found so far. (I keep checking Giant Canada) Even the LBS had little info other than that it was available to order and colour is rosewood / black satin-matt-gloss.

I found specs on these German sites and am hoping the Canadian version will be the same, although I think we may end up with the 500Wh battery and no kickstand.

I also wanted the Pro motor and the double chainrings. There is still very little Info available for the Explore e +1 Pro. Nothing on any Canadian sites that I’ve found so far. (I keep checking Giant Canada) Even the LBS had little info other than that it was available to order and colour is rosewood / black satin-matt-gloss.

I found specs on these German sites and am hoping the Canadian version will be the same, although I think we may end up with the 500Wh battery and no kickstand.

LOL, full disclosure: I always bring my Dr. a bottle of wine which he appreciates very much - Family Dr’s in Alberta are at the bottom of the food chain!

Thanks for the links to the specs, same ones I have found thus far. I will quizz local dealer on what else they can find and report back on anything substantive.

NicE find, the new explorer seem to have transitioned to the new design (narrow down tube and new battery fit)

i m still happy with my 2019 explore e+3, glad the explorer line is being continued

I would have had no qualms about buying a Giant with the Sport motor like in the +2. For example, climbing the 19th Street NW hill up from the river to highway #1 was no problem. The same up 10th St from Kensington up to SAIT. I live in Huntington Hills and spend a lot of time up on Nose Hill, and I power up some pretty steep hills (20%ish) on my PRO motor powered Fathom E+1.

The only reason I went to a Fathom over the Explore was for the off road capabilities. I've had it for about 5 weeks and it still puts a smile on my face. Today was 50 km meandering all over the NW, and a break in Bowness to enjoy some IPAs with a friend who lives near Bowness Park.

Whether you go Pro or not, I think the Giant line gives great value. Personally, a display , unless it's detachable, is just something else to worry about. I run Strava, but like many other Giant riders here, am waiting patiently for Giant to get their $hit together with their Ride Control app.

Likewise I m looking forward for the new app as well because currently we don’t have a way to track the lifetime Kilometres travelled on the motor
I would have had no qualms about buying a Giant with the Sport motor like in the +2. For example, climbing the 19th Street NW hill up from the river to highway #1 was no problem. The same up 10th St from Kensington up to SAIT. I live in Huntington Hills and spend a lot of time up on Nose Hill, and I power up some pretty steep hills (20%ish) on my PRO motor powered Fathom E+1.

The only reason I went to a Fathom over the Explore was for the off road capabilities. I've had it for about 5 weeks and it still puts a smile on my face. Today was 50 km meandering all over the NW, and a break in Bowness to enjoy some IPAs with a friend who lives near Bowness Park.

Whether you go Pro or not, I think the Giant line gives great value. Personally, a display , unless it's detachable, is just something else to worry about. I run Strava, but like many other Giant riders here, am waiting patiently for Giant to get their $hit together with their Ride Control app.

Back