Getting what you paid for?

Spesh will be waaaay out of budget at AU$4k. The Vado with the weak 50nm motor is $5.8k here.

For that money you're looking at a quality hub bike (Trek, maybe Lekker with the Gates belt), an entry level mid drive from a brand name (Merida, Giant, Cube), or a more feature rich mid drive from a challenger (like XDS).

You'll see market trends: $1.5-2k for budget hubs, 3-4k for entry level mid drives, then 5-7ishk for proper fancy mid drives. These are city style bikes.

If you like a natural motor, rigid forks and a light weight bike and can stretch the budget an extra grand the BMC Alpenchallenge might be worth a look too.

Ride as many as you can and see what appeals. Fit, motor feel and dealer confidence are probably the factors I rate highest in making a purchase. Research will inform some of the questions you ask, but ultimately it's going to be inspecting and riding what's available that makes the decision. I believe stock is getting better than it was. There's even some sales around again.

If budget can stretch this is probably as good a bang for buck as you'll get in Australia: https://www.99bikes.com.au/cube22-kathmandu-hybrid-one-625-grey-teak

And enough US-centric suggestions, folks. We got none of your fancy Rads or Ride1Ups down here! And Gazelle just pulled out of our market too.

Last edited:
enough US-centric suggestions, folks. We got none of your fancy Rads or Ride1Ups down here! And Gazelle just pulled out of our market too.
Looking into tariffs it appears from this article that since 2018 there has been a 5% + GST tariff on ebikes, pedal bicycles, and frame sets, manufactured in countries that don’t have a free trade agreement with Australia. Quote: “Imports made from countries with a free-trade agreement with Australia are exempt from the tariff, meaning imports from the likes of China, Indonesia, Cambodia and the United States will be unaffected. However, bikes from Taiwan, Europe and India will be hit with the tariff.”

After the UK parliament passes secondary legislation, a UK-Australia free trade agreement will come into effect, but the current rules mean that might not change much for ebike availability in Oz. One UK brand that sells ebikes across the Tasman Strait in New Zealand is Wisper, they recently shifted their manufacturing from Taiwan to Portugal to avoid EU import tariffs, so their ebikes will remain subject to the Australian import duty. Be curious to see what will happen with Australian imports of other UK brands.

Last edited:
Hi e-bike community,

My first post. I’ve found this forum as I look for an e-bike. All my prior bikes have been regular mtb or road bikes.

Finding the whole world of e-bikes a bit overwhelming and confusing. I generally find you get what you pay for but the price range is so Wide!

For those with a little money to spend but also like good value, how did you decide on a budget?

I’ve decided I want a hybrid or city bike as that’s most if not all of my riding. Also decided I don’t want an e road bike.

Any suggestions would be welcome, I’m hoping to load the bike with panniers/baskets and I probably need a bike where I can remove the battery(due to lack of power point access outside)

So far I’ve ridden a Norco and a Bianchi Omnia. The Bianchi was like a tank and whilst super stable was probably too much bike(felt more like a motor bike). The Norco was probably a touch too upright.
(The bianchi was obviously more expensive)

I’m old school in that I know traditional bicycle brands. Can anyone recommend quality e-bike brands?

Cheers

Tom
Big fan of belt drive e-bikes, for low maintenance, quiet and simplicity. Of the three e-bikes I have, really only ride the belt drive one now.

Lekker does have some nice bikes, with removable batteries. https://lekkerbikes.com.au/

Just reread your post about budget @tom9779 and saw it was a 4k usd limit, so about AUD$6k. That's great! Opens up a lot of really quality component bikes.

If you like the E-Omnia style bike consider riding the Kathmandu I linked earlier, as well as a Trek Allant (similar components, less SUV-like design), Giant Explore and Fastroad, Vado (SL and full cream versions) and Tero, maybe a Karlkhoff if you find one with the Bosch motor.

I've been riding a heavy 25kg bike of this style for the better part of three years. The power is intoxicating and perfect to deliver you to your destination fresh and relatively sweat free, but these sort of bikes become big heavy bricks past the low 25km/h speed cutoff. We also live in one of the most litigious countries in the world, so that has a bearing on derestriction. Personal choice though.

Next purchase I'm keen to explore the lightweight 14kg class of bikes (Orbea and Merida have lots powered by the Mahle hub, as well as the aforementioned Vado SL which at $6.2k just pips your budget). The trade-off is you put more effort in on the ride.

I'm on a little island in the Pacific.

You mean to tell me an island 100x bigger than mine doesn't have. Ebike dealers.
Australia is a fascinating continent that is the sixth biggest in the world by area but with only 26 million of inhabitants who mostly populate 8 big cities.
Do your homework, Romeo.

Atta boy ”Richard” belittling Rome makes you look so smart.

Back