Getting Trek XM700+ July 20

Steve Barsby

I've paid in advance for my new Trek 50cm size which is being assembled by Bike Gallery in Portland, OR. I'm flying out there from NC on the 20th for a couple days of getting acquainted and final fitting/equipping. Then heading out on the 24th for a solo ride East through the Columbia Gorge and up through Eastern WA. Eventually I'll cross the Cascades into the Seattle area and head up to Vancouver, BC. Lots of ferry riding on the way home.

I'm not concerned about solo tours (though my wife increasingly is), as I've done many--one across arid Utah/Northern Arizona. Others where there are more people--Eastern seaboard, Oregon Cascades, Blue Ridge Parkway, for example.

My big issue has been a search for assurances that I'll be able to put 160mm or 165mm cranks on the bike, as I'm quite short with really bothersome knees. Trek does not offer those alternatives, and I'm still not 100% sure I'll be able to mount them. I had to abandon my I last two mult- week rides because of knee pain. No more of that, I hope. I'm 75 years old.

I'll be adding a rear rack for my panniers, and using the nifty USB hookup on the controller to power my cell phone for communications, music, and navigation. Probably will put bar-end risers on for alternate riding positions I use a wrist-mounted Garmin to track where I've been post-ride. I'll shop for a handlebar bag when I'm in Portland. I'm also taking my current saddle, My mirror is a Look, which mounts on my goggles (been using that style for 25 years). My pedals will be Shimano style clip-ins--not because I can always use 360-degree pedaling, but because they help stabilize the bike, especially when I'm standing.

Sounds like a fun trip. The shortest cranks readily available through Bosch are 170mm. You might be able to find a supplier in Europe. To my understanding the only company that offers a 160mm or 165mm crank that is compatible is Miranda. They currently don't have a US distributor, but you might find a company online. Keep in mind you need an ebike specific crank arms, which are ISIS splined and have no chainring mounted on the drive side like most non-electric ISIS cranks.

Keep in mind that if you have an iPhone you'll need to use a battery as a go between in order to charge it. The Bosch system output is .5 amps and the iPhone requires 1amp.

Best of luck on you trip! Make sure to share some pics and your experience when you return :)

I just got my XM700+ and I'm curious to know if you ever found a handle bar bag that fit with the bike computer? And how was the trip?

I've paid in advance for my new Trek 50cm size ...

Excuse the odd question but can I ask your height? I test rode the XM700+ 55cm and I had to stand on tip-toes to clear the top tube (I'm 5'9"). Nevertheless, the Trek dealer tried to convince me the bike fit me (they wanted me to buy it). Seems to me that there is a big gap between 50 and 55cm and something in the middle is where my true fit lies. This compares to my regular bike which was offered in 50, 52 and 55 (I ride the 52cm and have a half inch of top tube clearance when standing flat footed with shoes). My Kalkhoff dealer also told me I should choose the 55cm (if I buy Kalkhoff) and like the Treks, they come in the same increments of 50 and 55. Thanks

Excuse the odd question but can I ask your height? I test rode the XM700+ 55cm and I had to stand on tip-toes to clear the top tube (I'm 5'9"). Nevertheless, the Trek dealer tried to convince me the bike fit me (they wanted me to buy it). Seems to me that there is a big gap between 50 and 55cm and something in the middle is where my true fit lies. This compares to my regular bike which was offered in 50, 52 and 55 (I ride the 52cm and have a half inch of top tube clearance when standing flat footed with shoes). My Kalkhoff dealer also told me I should choose the 55cm (if I buy Kalkhoff) and like the Treks, they come in the same increments of 50 and 55. Thanks
Over50,
I think I read in one of your other posts that you were interested in the Integrale 8? If that's the case, then the Kalkhooff geometry guide (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) puts you in the range for a size M (50cm) being 175cm (5'9")

Over50,
I think I read in one of your other posts that you were interested in the Integrale 8? If that's the case, then the Kalkhooff geometry guide (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) puts you in the range for a size M (50cm) being 175cm (5'9")
Good to know. My Kalkhoff dealer had the opinion I should be on the 55 but I didn't feel like that was correct. It appears that even among bike professionals there are some differing opinions. REI's fit guide says a rider standing flat footed, straddling the bike should have one inch of clearance on the top tube. My Kalkhoff dealer said I should have no clearance and basically be touching the top tube in that stance. I guess if a rider is in the middle (i.e. my 52cm preference) then it is probably safest best to move down rather than up (dependent on other frame geometry working). Hopefully at the D.C. ebike expo I will find a variety of sizes in some of these brands/models.

Stand over height for bicycle fitting is complete crap. Most important measurement is top tube but you should be looking at reach and other factors.

Your seat height given a set wheel and crank size will always be the same (assuming similar seatpost angle which most bicycles have). Next you have to make sure the handlebars are high and close enough for you to reach and achieve your desied seating posture and back angle.

Kalkhoffs are very large bicycles. At 5'9" and 32" inseam and average arm lengths you will probably be a medium which is 50cm. A large 55cm will be way too big for you.

... At 5'9" and 32" inseam and average arm lengths you will probably be a medium which is 50cm. A large 55cm will be way too big for you...

Perfect thanks. I am actually 30" inseam or slightly less. So your statement affirms my intuition over the dealer's opinion.

I just got my XM700+ and I'm curious to know if you ever found a handle bar bag that fit with the bike computer? And how was the trip?
Well, a few unexpected things happened. First, when I saw the bike I was sure it was too tall for me. I rode it for two days and took it back. I could get on and off it unloaded, but with two panniers it surely would have been too exciting to mount and dismount.

They had both an open frame and a "women's" bike (also open frame) there. It women's bike was 45cm, I think, so I took that one. Water bottle cages behind the seat didn't do work, as the bottles stood too high. Cage on the down-tube didn't work, as when I stopped, like at a traffic light, my leg jammed against my water bottle. So I had one mounted on the handlebars (left side). Rack on the back. Put my own bright tail light on it and mounted a powerful headlight on front. Used old, small handlebar bag. No small cranks available. Had shop tighten the crank, as it creaked when I stood up to pedal.

Headed off on a Monday morning for the first leg of my trip (about 120 km). Bike had a bad shimmy when loaded, but I kept going. Then the bottom bracket started creaking again. Charged the battery during lunch. Moderate climbs, some curvy downhills. Bike handled ok at higher speeds. Next day hit about 63 km/hr on a downhill. Felt secure.

During my tour, I rode close to 700 km, averaging about 23 km/hr except for one day when I rode on a crude gravel path up the Cascade Mtns for about 60 km. Ran over a nail while going downhill. Had the fun of changing the rear wheel. One of the brackets holding the front fender in place kept coming loose. Then the rear fender and rear disc brake were creating friction. The brake had been installed slightly crooked, and the rear fender vertical supports wouldn't keep the fender above the tire. Back at the original. Bike store I asked them to get the creak out, put a better fender on and take out the play in. The headset.. Then ship the bike to me. 4 weeks have passed and the bike was picked for shipping today.. . .. .. You tell me how. It went.

Back