Gazelle Ultimate C380+ Rear Tire

Jim1348

The rear tire on my Gazelle Ultimate C380+ went flat this afternoon with 2774 miles on it. At first I thought that wasn't very many miles for a bicycle tire, but I don't think e-bike tires last as long as non-ebikes.

For those with the Gazelle Ultimate C380+, how many miles did you get out of your tires?

Also, should I replace them with the same Schwalbe Energizer Plus tires or go with something different? We live on a gravel road, but try to get off gravel and ride on pavement as soon as we can each ride.

The rear tire on my Gazelle Ultimate C380+ went flat this afternoon with 2774 miles on it. At first I thought that wasn't very many miles for a bicycle tire, but I don't think e-bike tires last as long as non-ebikes.

For those with the Gazelle Ultimate C380+, how many miles did you get out of your tires?

Also, should I replace them with the same Schwalbe Energizer Plus tires or go with something different? We live on a gravel road, but try to get off gravel and ride on pavement as soon as we can each ride.
flats are part of a bike. e bikes are not any harder on tires. the energizer plus are not to bad for puncture resistance but not fantastic. but to get better you have to get the marathon plus and its a much harsher ride and slower too.

Among many other things, Specialized rates its tires for puncture resistance, with the Armadillo designation at the top.

Very pleased with my 27.5" x 2 3" hybrid Crossroads Armadillos after 1,500 miles. No punctures with Tannus foam inserts; smooth, easy rolling on pavement with little noise; good grip on gravel, dirt, and sand (if not too deep or dry); comfy enough ride at 35 psi.

20230306_083001.jpg

Here you can see both the tread and the track it leaves in loose, dry dirt. Plenty of side-lug engagement for most purposes.

Not trying to sell you on this particular tire. Just pointing out that you have options for mixed riding at low puncture risk.

I've had (3) flats in 2,000 miles. I don't know if there is any way to reduce that but I like the idea of the Tannus and the Crossroads Armadillos.
Best be practicing changing that rear wheel; it's a bitch doing it in the garage and dam near impossible out on the road.

Two front flats in 900 combined miles for two 2023 C380 bikes. In fairness to the tires, we’ve ridden over so much broken glass.

Here is an excellent YT video on removing the rear wheel of a C380 and changing the tire:

Tools required:

Tubes
Spray bottle with soapy water
2 mm wrench for the enviolo cable ends
15 mm wrench (30-40 nm torque) for the wheel nuts

My only reservation is not having a wrench capable of 30-40 nm of torque. Regarding Tannus Armor most reviews say the ride quality is a little worse, though a couple said it was better.

Please don't post any more or this.
I had my 4th flat today and suspect gremlins are biting my tires at night.

Do they make Kevlar tires?

Waaaaah!,

Paddy

I have almost 5k miles on my C380+ within almost exactly two years. They are close to end of life, but should survive to end of season (I have separate pair of wheels with Marathon GT 365 for winter). So, you should be able get more miles from yours for sure.

One well-known secret is to swap front and back tires after few thousands miles - rear wheel get much more wear, especially on Ebikes, so swapping front/rear tires help to make wear to apply more equally.

I have almost 5k miles on my C380+ within almost exactly two years. They are close to end of life, but should survive to end of season (I have separate pair of wheels with Marathon GT 365 for winter). So, you should be able get more miles from yours for sure.

One well-known secret is to swap front and back tires after few thousands miles - rear wheel get much more wear, especially on Ebikes, so swapping front/rear tires help to make wear to apply more equally.
no that can effect handling. just replace each tire as needed much easier.

Schwalbe - Marathon Plus about as good as it gets. you pay the price with harsher rides and speed but the tires last a very long time.​

What I learned after (4) successive flats on the C380 rear tire:
  • pay attention to the hole (when changing the tire).
  • If the hole is in the same position (from the stem - say 45deg clockwise), the flat is due to a problem that needs to be fixed or you'll be walking the bike back home soon.
  • keep looking until you find out why the same location is weak.
  • Is the puncture a 'snake-bite'?
  • is the hole on the inside toward the rim or out on the outer tread side of the tire.
  • inside might be a spoke nipple or sharp rim defect.
  • sidewall might be a protruding reinforcement wire or the tube bulging out through a hole (my problem).
There are many ways tires can have repeat failures (like other mechanical reliability engineering problems).
You have to quiet your mind and assume complete ignorance.
Light a bunch of candles and insense.
Shave your head (and balls) and sit Indian style.
Now 'Grasshopper', observe and ask 'Why, Why...... Why. What the f*ck'?

Right when that 'aw sh!t moment comes you are ready to test and repair.
No guarentee as Murpy is very cunning and illusive.

yep we had a flat on the rear wheel of our tandem maybe 6000 out so miles on it. on the inside by the stem. I found a rough spot in the plastic liner they used around the stem hole. ever caused an issue the whole time till now.

no that can effect handling. just replace each tire as needed much easier.
The other benefit is new rear tire has more tread so more protection. Lot easier to repair front puncture than rear.
Had good runout from Big Bens 5000kms between two bikes then 3 flats in couple weeks, one was faulty tube small leak at stem. So far Jonny Watts have been excellent but only if you need offroad capability.
Does pay to check tires regularly for glass, every time I have flat find lots of embedded glass that given enough time will work its way through to tube. This is when I discover just how good puncture protection is, on cheaper tire every bit of glass would've been a puncture.

Back