Gazelle T10 or Specialized Vado 4.0?

abpdx

I am looking at the Specialized Vado 4.0 and the Gazelle T10. I know, one is Class 1 and the other is Class 3. I've ridden the Vado and I like it. I have not ridden the Gazelle, but there are things I do like about it. The components are top notch, the cafe lock is nice, the lower step through on the wave frame is nice. I'm concerned about the Class 1 status. I have not ridden an ebike enough to know if I will miss the lack of assist over 20mph. I have ridden the Vado over 20 mph (between 20 and 25) but usually when I'm at 25, I'm going downhill and lightly pedaling or even coasting. I'm not trying to ride the bike at 25 mph during a commute. The range is most important to me. When I ride, I want to be able to go 20-40 miles on longer rides once a week, and not have to worry about "sipping the gas" on the battery. The idea of "getting stuck" with nothing but my own pedal power on a heavy bike with a 1000 ft. climb between me and the barn is upsetting. I'm not looking at the T10+, which is a class 3 bike from Gazelle for range reasons. The Bosch range finder says the range on the performance + motor is less than the regular performance line. Specialized advertises an 80 mile range on the Brose motor. Thoughts?

I am looking at the Specialized Vado 4.0 and the Gazelle T10.
I understand your budget is US$3800?

Well. What I don't like about the Gazelle are:
  • The Bosch Performance Line motor which is no match to the Specialized 1.2 (Vado 4.0) or 1.3 (Vado 5.0)
  • The Bosch motor is noisy, the Specialized one is silent
  • There is far better display in Vado, fully compatible with Mission Control and BLEvo apps, Garmin and other sports wearables.
  • I don't trust the "integrated fork" of Gazelle Ultimate T10.
What I dislike about both e-bikes is the 500 Wh battery. Nowadays, we should go for 600 Wh or more. (A 600+ Wh battery cures the range anxiety for good).

I wouldn't worry so much about Class 1 or 3 as long as you do not plan riding trails. I think riding a Class 3 e-bike as a regular bicycle, slower and showing respect to other cyclists would be enough, especially as I hear, a Class 1 sticker comes with the Vado...

If I could spend your money, I would squeeze $550 more than the Gazelle costs and got me a Vado 5.0: The best classy e-bike the money can buy :)

I just like Class 3 because you will have more option / flexibility.

I guess I like the fact that power or just a little bit of top speed if you need it.

If you don't, just lower the assist level. 😁
Their is a new bike available now. The Gazelle Medeo T10+. It is the same price as the Vado 4, Deore components. I’m going to try to take a test ride today.
I agree with you, if one bike had a larger battery, the decision would be made.

The Gazelle Medeo T10+

Pros:
Bosch Speed Gen 4 motor

Cons:
Unspecified brakes
Unspecified sub-type of the Deore group
Unspecified fork
Purion display
55T chainring (not good for climbing)
Battery size???

The specification does not look really serious compared to the Specialized one (Spesh are proud and honest to list every detail).

Back