Gazelle Slows Down e-bike Production

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia

Bike-EU the European industry news site is reporting Gazelle are having to slow down production of ebikes due to component shortages.

Shimano?
I cannot fail noticing Specialized chose SRAM for components of their 2022 ebikes.

Not much other than polish, labeling and possibly the lower chain guide wheel which is a sealed bearing unit on the XT and the usual ceramic bushing on the Deore. At least this is what I remember.

Deore XT has the Shadow Plus technology. Deore is mid-range. Deore XT is near the top. They're lighter.

It's like a trim level downgrade.
Truthfully on e-bikes it's a negligible difference. They both have shadow tech and Deore works just fine on these bikes. Most folks just park the thing in turbo and use 2 gears anyways. Deore is less expensive to replace when things wear out too.

I've 3 bikes with mixed bag, 11spd XT derailleur +shifters and brakes, bike 2 11spd all SLX, bike 10spd Deore and brakes. Nothing between them on shifting quality or braking performance(all running same factory pads). XT and SLX brakes have tool free adjuster on lever which is big plus.

Truthfully on e-bikes it's a negligible difference. They both have shadow tech and Deore works just fine on these bikes. Most folks just park the thing in turbo and use 2 gears anyways. Deore is less expensive to replace when things wear out too.
really? I usually rider on Eco or Tour. Turbo only in a hurry or at stops. And I change speeds quite often depending on how fast or how steep I'm going.

really? I usually rider on Eco or Tour. Turbo only in a hurry or at stops. And I change speeds quite often depending on how fast or how steep I'm going.

It was more of a tongue and cheek comment, it's funny when our renters bring bikes back they're always in the same gear and on turbo lol!

I hear ya though, yep, use those gears and change the modes depending on what's being thrown at ya!

It was more of a tongue and cheek comment, it's funny when our renters bring bikes back they're always in the same gear and on turbo lol!

I hear ya though, yep, use those gears and change the modes depending on what's being thrown at ya!
LOL I understand.

I've 3 bikes with mixed bag, 11spd XT derailleur +shifters and brakes, bike 2 11spd all SLX, bike 10spd Deore and brakes. Nothing between them on shifting quality or braking performance(all running same factory pads). XT and SLX brakes have tool free adjuster on lever which is big plus.
Funny I have a bike with Deore XT 11 speed long cage and another with SLX 11 speed. I much prefer the XT as it never misses a beat and feels smoother and quicker. In fact I am waiting on an XT long cage that I ordered in February to replace the SLX. The enviro difference between SRAM and Shimano brakes is that Shimano uses mineral oil and SRAM uses DOT. I prefer the design of Magura brakes as it is easier to replace the pads on my Charger without even removing the wheels.

Last edited:

Most new riders and renters will use the high assist.
E bike owners start out that way and then tend to use less assist and only go to high assist when needed.

Back