Gazelle Medeo T10 HMB or Dost Drop Chain space ?

JeanKat

Region
Canada
Hello, I ask for your precious help in order to make the right choice between 2 E-Bikes of fairly similar price: Gazelle Medeo T10 HMB and Dost Drop Chain space. This is my first E-Bikes. I want to buy 2 bikes (me 63 years old and my wife 53 years old). We are not very sporty and we want to cycle in town (flat and uphill) and also longer hikes (50 km\30 mi and more). We already cycle in town (asphalt, dirt and gravel streets, bike paths, and our main difficulty is climbing more or less steep hills (there are several in my region of Quebec). For the past week, I have read a lot about these 2 E-Bikes and seen reviews in various websites (Gazelle, Dost, EBR, Youtube, etc.) but I don't know which would be our best choice and why it would be a better choice (motor, derailleur, battery , strength, autonomy, etc.). These 2 bikes are for sale in a specialized shop near my home. Thank you very much for the help and your comments. I wish you a very nice day! Jean

Hello, I ask for your precious help in order to make the right choice between 2 E-Bikes of fairly similar price: Gazelle Medeo T10 HMB and Dost Drop Chain space. This is my first E-Bikes. I want to buy 2 bikes (me 63 years old and my wife 53 years old). We are not very sporty and we want to cycle in town (flat and uphill) and also longer hikes (50 km\30 mi and more). We already cycle in town (asphalt, dirt and gravel streets, bike paths, and our main difficulty is climbing more or less steep hills (there are several in my region of Quebec). For the past week, I have read a lot about these 2 E-Bikes and seen reviews in various websites (Gazelle, Dost, EBR, Youtube, etc.) but I don't know which would be our best choice and why it would be a better choice (motor, derailleur, battery , strength, autonomy, etc.). These 2 bikes are for sale in a specialized shop near my home. Thank you very much for the help and your comments. I wish you a very nice day! Jean
The best advice we can give you is to test ride both since they're available at a local shop.

Happy riding!

The motor and gearing combination on Gazelle makes for great tourer with excellent climbing ability. My moustache has same combination so can vouch for it. Don't known anything about DOST motor which seems considerably more powerful. 9spd SRAM will be reliable but shifting quality isn't as good as Gazelles Deore. Higher gearing on DOST is big negative with low gear ratio of 46:34 while Gazelles 38:42. On road DOST extra power may help overcome difference, but in tight low speed situations low gearing is more important than power.

The motor and gearing combination on Gazelle makes for great tourer with excellent climbing ability. My moustache has same combination so can vouch for it. Don't known anything about DOST motor which seems considerably more powerful. 9spd SRAM will be reliable but shifting quality isn't as good as Gazelles Deore. Higher gearing on DOST is big negative with low gear ratio of 46:34 while Gazelles 38:42. On road DOST extra power may help overcome difference, but in tight low speed situations low gearing is more important than power.
Thank you TrevorB. Il will test ride Gazelle and Dost and i will talk about the difference of gearing betwenn SRAM and Deore to the salesman.

I have had a Gazelle Arroyo for 2.5 years now. It's been a blast and very sturdy. I think I've ridden it where it probably isn't designed to go and it keeps on going. The bad? It had a chain guard on it that made it hard to do chain maintenance. That has been removed. I've been told to NOT remove the back wheel as it is "complicated". However, the bike came with the Schwalbe Marathon ebike tires so I haven't needed to do that. Gazelle makes very sturdy bikes and I'd get another one if I needed one.

I'm about to make a grocery run on it.

I have had a Gazelle Arroyo for 2.5 years now. It's been a blast and very sturdy. I think I've ridden it where it probably isn't designed to go and it keeps on going. The bad? It had a chain guard on it that made it hard to do chain maintenance. That has been removed. I've been told to NOT remove the back wheel as it is "complicated". However, the bike came with the Schwalbe Marathon ebike tires so I haven't needed to do that. Gazelle makes very sturdy bikes and I'd get another one if I needed one.

I'm about to make a grocery run on it.
Idea of chainguard is to reduce maintenance lube and tension every few months, shouldn't need cleaning.

Idea of chainguard is to reduce maintenance lube and tension every few months, shouldn't need cleaning.
How can that be when I'm riding on some very dusty and dirty roads? Dust is a problem. Plus, the chainguard is made out of plastic and the part that covered the little window? area broke so it was duct taped on.

We test rode both the Dost and the Gazelles - The lack of torque sensing on the Dost is the big difference - the torque sensing Gazelles are just ever so much smoother and more responsive to your desired pedal assist. This is a big factor when riding on busy shared use paths where there are heaps of people walking on the paths and subtle control inputs are required to match their speed while dodging other bikes, pedestrians and toddlers.

After riding about 10 different types, we settled on Ultimate C380s to avoid all the derailleur and chain issues and to take advantage of the Enviolo hub's ability to shift when stopped - Vancouver is very hilly and lots of stop signs on hills so being able to gear down when stopped is great!

Good choice. As much as I like quality derailleurs they are hassle to maintain especially for an all weather commuter bike.

Great choice! I think you will be pleased with your choice, I know I have had no complaints with mine.

Back