Gain D-30 observations

Pridedog

I have about 250 miles on my Gain and thought I would share some initial observations. This is my first ebike, after dealing with a heart attack, hip replacement and spinal fusion over the last 10 years and turning 70 the time was right to try an ebike. And I really love it. Wind speed or direction and hills no longer dictate my ride routes. My body does not feel beat up after a 25-30 mile ride.

A couple of nit picking items:
1) The charging port located just above the bottom bracket is very inconvenient, for someone with back issues and getting old. I would suggest locating it up high on the downtube next to the headtube like the Cannondales do.
2) The one button iWoc controller is confusing at time. The color for the medium level assist is orange and for the high is red. At times it is difficult to distinguish between the two. I would suggest letting you set the color of the lights like you can set the assist levels. Funny story, when I first turned the bike on the white light was pink and I thought I had a problem as that is what pink is to represent. Turns out my sunglasses distort the color.
3) I would suggest on the iWoc that the assist level be the light that stays on and the battery level the one you see when you push the button. Again I wish you could adjust the with the app.

The Gain has been a game changer for me.

I have about 250 miles on my Gain and thought I would share some initial observations. This is my first ebike, after dealing with a heart attack, hip replacement and spinal fusion over the last 10 years and turning 70 the time was right to try an ebike. And I really love it. Wind speed or direction and hills no longer dictate my ride routes. My body does not feel beat up after a 25-30 mile ride.

A couple of nit picking items:
1) The charging port located just above the bottom bracket is very inconvenient, for someone with back issues and getting old. I would suggest locating it up high on the downtube next to the headtube like the Cannondales do.
2) The one button iWoc controller is confusing at time. The color for the medium level assist is orange and for the high is red. At times it is difficult to distinguish between the two. I would suggest letting you set the color of the lights like you can set the assist levels. Funny story, when I first turned the bike on the white light was pink and I thought I had a problem as that is what pink is to represent. Turns out my sunglasses distort the color.
3) I would suggest on the iWoc that the assist level be the light that stays on and the battery level the one you see when you push the button. Again I wish you could adjust the with the app.

The Gain has been a game changer for me.

I too have a D-Gain. Just about agree with all you write. Hope you get lots of happy miles in, this year?

I really like my Gain too, but if I could change something it would be to have more control of the optional water-bottle battery. As it is now whenever it is on it feeds a constant low level of charge to the internal battery, so it keeps the internal battery charging while it discharges. That's fine if you want to go on a really long ride, but it also means that the external battery is always being used and that on a long ride it will get very low which is really hard on the battery. You could, I guess, plug and unplug it as needed, but that's a bit of a pain and interrupts your ride. I wish the app would let you switch it on/off and allow you to select which battery is being used first.

I really like my Gain too, but if I could change something it would be to have more control of the optional water-bottle battery. As it is now whenever it is on it feeds a constant low level of charge to the internal battery, so it keeps the internal battery charging while it discharges. That's fine if you want to go on a really long ride, but it also means that the external battery is always being used and that on a long ride it will get very low which is really hard on the battery. You could, I guess, plug and unplug it as needed, but that's a bit of a pain and interrupts your ride. I wish the app would let you switch it on/off and allow you to select which battery is being used first.
No need to unplug. Just turn off the external battery with the power button on it.

You are of course absolutely right, and that's what I've been doing on the last few long rides. I think old age has addled my mind. :)

You are of course absolutely right, and that's what I've been doing on the last few long rides. I think old age has addled my mind. :)
What I do is when the indicator on the aux is orange and I'm not on a really long ride where I need to use up both batteries, I turn off the aux battery. It's better for battery life to not drain down the battery too much.

Back