Fuses on the Rad City Step-Thru?

I’m guessing it’s like others, remove the battery and pry off the small rubber covers on the back of the battery. Use small screwdrivers to pry out the fuses. The size is either on it or goes by a color code. One is for charging and the other for the controller.

I’m guessing it’s like others, remove the battery and pry off the small rubber covers on the back of the battery. Use small screwdrivers to pry out the fuses. The size is either on it or goes by a color code. One is for charging and the other for the controller.
Thanks, wasn't sure if there was one actually inside the controller.

There are two fuses: 5A and 40A, standard automotive blade-type design. It's a little tricky to get to them; the battery has a rubber plug covering each to help keep water out, but unfortunately they didn't design in a nub to grab these recessed covers with a fingernail or tool, they are recessed and flat. You have to use a small blade screwdriver, awl or (as I did, to verify the fuse size and ratings) a push-pin to grab a corner and pluck them off, being careful not to damage the cover and wreck the water-resistant protection. Not nearly as slick a design as most of Rad's stuff.

Here is their instruction page for how to access and change them; I've added both to my bike's toolkit, along with a fuse puller:

Rad battery fuse replacement guide

Last edited:
There are two fuses: 5A and 40A, standard automotive blade-type design. It's a little tricky to get to them; the battery has a rubber plug covering each to help keep water out, but unfortunately they didn't design in a nub to grab these recessed covers with a fingernail or tool, they are recessed and flat. You have to use a small blade screwdriver, awl or (as I did, to verify the fuse size and ratings) a push-pin to grab a corner and peel them off, being careful not to damage the cover and wreck the water-resistant protection. Not nearly as slick a design as most of Rad's stuff.

Here is their instruction page for how to access and change them; I've added both to my bike's toolkit, along with a fuse puller:

Rad battery fuse replacement guide
Says under tools needed: electrical tape I wonder what that's for?

Says under tools needed: electrical tape I wonder what that's for?

There's a "tip" that says to use it to place over the fuse hole if the cover is damaged and might allow water in - they claim to have (sell?) replacement fuse covers if needed. Not necessary if the cover is intact. A push-pin was ideal to pry it up at the corner and didn't damage the covers at all. Just proceed carefully and remember you're removing a watertight rubber plug to get to the fuse.

Last edited:
Back