full cover fenders !

sid5427

Hi guys

so I found this online - the look a lot like the original fenders sold for the rad rover !

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Great find Sid! Looks like they have it pictured with a Sonders ebike. And some other fat bike pics. If anyone gets these, please post some feedback with pics.

Thanks

Hi @sid5427 !

You might be happy with these, but the steel fatbike fenders I have tested for both the RadMini and RadRover were not ideal for weight and noise/vibration compared to the plastic equivalent. I think fender manufactures go steel so they don't have to invest in vacuum or injection mold tooling.

We are closing in on having the first production batch of RadRover and RadMini specific, full coverage thermoplastic olefin (TPO) fenders to compliment our standard fatbike fenders already on the website. I can't tell you much about these in advance of the release, but they should be available on our online store in 3-4 weeks and will be a SOLID full coverage fender option. Also.....made in Seattle!

Thanks Mike! And thanks for the continued support of the Rad community. The Rover needs full fenders to be sure. Not only better function but completes the look of the bike.

Hi @sid5427 !

You might be happy with these, but the steel fatbike fenders I have tested for both the RadMini and RadRover were not ideal for weight and noise/vibration compared to the plastic equivalent. I think fender manufactures go steel so they don't have to invest in vacuum or injection mold tooling.

We are closing in on having the first production batch of RadRover and RadMini specific, full coverage thermoplastic olefin (TPO) fenders to compliment our standard fatbike fenders already on the website. I can't tell you much about these in advance of the release, but they should be available on our online store in 3-4 weeks and will be a SOLID full coverage fender option. Also.....made in Seattle!

Hi @Mike Radenbaugh - Thanks for replying ! _ I haven't actually bought the fenders - Was just putting this out there so members' of the community have another option. It's great to hear that you guys have listened to our feedback and will soon introduce TPO full cover fenders. They are sorely needed - the current ones work to an extent but as soon as it rains a bit - I personally end up with a spray of water from the front tire.
Needless to say - i'll probably one of the first people to buy the new fender set ! Thank you for introducing this awesome bike !

I'll be interested in a pair of these fenders when you guys have them up on the Rad web site. I like how Rad responds to the customers needs in a timely way.

Fwiw, it looks as if Big O manufacturering is providing the hardware to mount their fenders again. Unlike their old, highly specific mounting hardware which must have been a pain to make, he now has a more general, one siz fits all bracket.
Big O still says they do not ship out of the US though.

Fwiw, it looks as if Big O manufacturering is providing the hardware to mount their fenders again. Unlike their old, highly specific mounting hardware which must have been a pain to make, he now has a more general, one siz fits all bracket.
Big O still says they do not ship out of the US though.

Actually those generic slide adjustment brackets from Big O look like crap in my opinion. They are clunky looking, wide, flat, and silver in color. I don't think they will look good on the Rover.

Thin black brackets like they originally had will look much more professional, seemless and polished. Like they belong on the bike. I hope the new fenders don't have these brackets! If Rad is having the new full fenders made custom and local in Seattle, then I would hope they would have proper fitting and factory looking brackets that blend with the look of the bike.

Hi @sid5427 !

Thanks Mike! I will also want one of these when they are available. Just got back from a city ride and am very muddy.

Actually those generic slide adjustment brackets from Big O look like crap in my opinion. They are clunky looking, wide, flat, and silver in color. I don't think they will look good on the Rover.

Thin black brackets like they originally had will look much more professional, seemless and polished. Like they belong on the bike. I hope the new fenders don't have these brackets! If Rad is having the new full fenders made custom and local in Seattle, then I would hope they would have proper fitting and factory looking brackets that blend with the look of the bike.

Yeah, I can't say I disagree.

I started looking again as I've just built a new Fat bike and moved my BBSHD on to it. My old Big O fenders are still better than anything else out there too. The front fender fitted with a minimum of fuss (just had to get a couple of cushion clamps for the front fork) but the rear is more problematic - not only aren't there any attachment points on the frame but the frame is symmetrical with 190mm spacing and a totally different geometry from the old one which was asymmetrical. So the rear fixings are just totally unsuitable - I have an idea but it's going to take a hammer and a drill to see if it will work (and probably some black spray paint to fix the damage afterwards).

I really would have thought the market for full Fat fenders would be large enough to generate some competition by now. Besides the useless plastic splash guards, there seems to be Big O, the cheap tin ones from china and the expensive wooden ones from the US which kinda seem like serious overkill in terms of price and unsuitability of materials.

I would like to try em out.. but we'll see! I had to trim my front fender in order to be able to use my Kuat NV 2.0 hitch rack - so the plastic made it a breeze to cut & trim.

Here's two videos I made. One showing how the current fenders handle water and the other about how I had to modify my fenders to fit a platform rack..

Hi @sid5427 !

Mike

Any ETA / update on the RR fenders?

Yes! We had them in stock in the store this week, but I think they just went live on our website and are stocked in our warehouse to ship same/next day. Shipping is $$12, but I think @woodsusa might have ordered a set before the web team had all the information uploaded!

http://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/ebike-accessories/products/radrover-full-fenders

Note that these are designed to fit the V2 RadRover only by design. We had a local customer adapt them to his V1 RadRover but we do not have plans, or parts, or support for this at this time. Sorry about that for any V1 Rover owners.

Attachments

• 11111.jpg
    11111.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 5,762
I have an MTB (w/BBSHD) with 27.5 inch wheels. I installed maximum coverage fenders with the goal of protecting my BBSHD from road splash and sprays. I am happy to report that it did a great job of keeping my motor dry on wet roads, as well as my shoes.

I used the Cascadia brand (65 bucks) http://www.ebay.com/itm/191948272458?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
The front mounting was a little pricey, I got it from Harley Davidson parts (KURYAKYN 4017 1-1/2" - 1-5/8" P-CLAMP for 25 bucks) (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
I relocated the upper mounting so the lower lip is 2 and a half inches above the ground. And then added a front extension that I salvaged from another splash guard. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Also drilled a hole at the arch for the mounting.
fender front.jpg

For the rear, I used a Tubus mounting, had to modify a little to fit. http://www.cyclingabout.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Tubus-Seat-Stay-Mounting-Kit.jpg
I used a duct tape to have about 3 inches of extension to the front portion for better splash coverage to the BBSHD. Also drilled holes for zip tie for the chain stay mounting.
fender rear.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with it.

Last edited:
BBSHD looks relatively clean after 25 miles ride on a wet bike trail. Those surface corrugations rattle the fenders and shake the battery loose if you don't secure them tightly enough.

Addendum:
Here are the photo's.

s1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg
s4.jpg

Last edited:
Back