Front fork: necessary or no?

ebikenoob20

I'm ready to buy a new e-bike and I've been wondering how necessary a front fork is. My budget is about $1,500, and after some research I've narrowed my list down to the RadCity, Ride1Up 500 series, and Aventon Pace 500 (which doesn't have a fork). I have on and off again lower back pain--not severe, but bothersome enough that I haven't taken my road bike out more than a few times in the past year and a half. This is the main reason I've decided to get an ebike.

From a features, comfort, and looks standpoint all of these bikes seem similar to me, and my sense is I'd be happy with any of them. Though, the Aventon's lighter weight (49 pounds as opposed to the RadCity's 63) appeals to me because it'd be easier to haul around. Then again, I wonder if the lack of fork on the Aventon may cancel out these gains. Curious to get your thoughts: does a front fork really create a less bumpy ride? Another option, I'm thinking, could be to get the Aventon and then a shock-absorbing seatpost. Or maybe I should get the fork and the special seatpost . . . .

I plan to do most of my riding on the street for errands and touring, with occasional trips on gravel roads and rail trails. For what it's worth, I'm 6'1 with ridiculously long legs.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks so much.

Back pain is a nightmare, for those do don't have firsthand knowledge.

I will keep my 2 cents short.

Get the fork. Get the shock absorbing seat post.

Done.

Enjoy your riding again!

I'm ready to buy a new e-bike and I've been wondering how necessary a front fork is.
Well, without a front fork you would have a unicycle, so it is very important. 😆

I think what you meant was whether a suspension fork is necessary. The answer to that depends on the surface you ride on. If it's mostly well maintained paved roads, probably not. If you go over a lot of cracks, uneven roads, and/or dirt trails, it'll definitely makes the ride a much less jarring one.

I do agree with @jaizon on the suspension seatpost. It's worth the money. Best is Cirrus Cycles Kinekt (~$250), Cane Creek Thudbuster (~$150), and Satori Animaris (~$70). The performance is generally on par with price.

Another vote for the front suspension fork. Even the worst are better than none unless riding on new pavement.

And a vote for a suspension seat post, noting a Thudbuster LT are much cheaper on Amazon - especially if you happen on to a "used" one that's more than likely just an out of box return that's actually new - not used at all. I think many are returned because the owner ordered the wrong size, or didn't even realize they come in different sizes.

Another vote for the front suspension fork. Even the worst are better than none unless riding on new pavement.

And a vote for a suspension seat post, noting a Thudbuster LT are much cheaper on Amazon - especially if you happen on to a "used" one that's more than likely just an out of box return that's actually new - not used at all. I think many are returned because the owner ordered the wrong size, or didn't even realize they come in different sizes.
One argument against suspension forks is one more thing that you have to maintain, can go wrong, and replace. But if you need it, you need it.

One argument against suspension forks is one more thing that you have to maintain, can go wrong, and replace. But if you need it, you need it.

Considering this concept vs. the ride of a fixed fork, I'll take on any maintenance downside that comes from suspension type forks ANY day!

"Last very long" is subjective, and bikes are ridden in all sorts of conditions, so I'll just share that we have a 4 year old bike with over 3000 miles on it, with "cheap" spring type forks that are as tight as the day we got it. No unusual maintenance, other than to keep them reasonably clean. Obviously, your experience may be different.....

I've also been plagued by lower back pain on and off for many years. In my case, I found that a suspension seat post was far more effective in preventing back related issues than a suspension front fork. The front suspension fork however did ease wrist discomfort on long rides and perhaps offered some limited back pain relief. Often, wrist discomfort can be eased by adding a suspension stem without the need for suspension forks. Everyone is different in this respect however and what works for some may not for all.

Another factor is, shopping for bikes with suspension forks can limit your choices since many brands don't offer them. Keep in mind, adding a suspension seat post on most bikes is easy while adding front suspension forks is not. Whether you would benefit from having front suspension is best decided by test riding as many bikes as you can.

"Last very long" is subjective, and bikes are ridden in all sorts of conditions, so I'll just share that we have a 4 year old bike with over 3000 miles on it, with "cheap" spring type forks that are as tight as the day we got it. No unusual maintenance, other than to keep them reasonably clean. Obviously, your experience may be different.....

I had an entry level front fork on my Biktrix Ultra and after a few hundred miles , it was starting to wear. Roshan sent me a solid fork and it steers much better. Yes, It transmits the road irregularities a bit more but with 3.5 inch tires, it 's not bad at all. It also looks much better !

Actually, I just saw that the espin Sport is on sale for $1,199 (down from $1,699). EBR's review is mostly positive, and in another thread comparing the RadCity to the Sport, the poster said the sport was much more comfortable and easy to handle. I like the lower weight, the integrated lights, and fork. And it just looks sharp. My one reservation is that it's advertised as having an "aggressive riding style." I realize "aggressive" is relative, but with my back issues, it's not comfortable for me to be in a flexed/bent-over position for very long. Would it be possible to replace the flat bars with something more swept back/cruiser-style? If so, I think I may pull the trigger.

If you ride on roads and paved paths I would say that a suspension stem and seat post will give you a relief from most bumps and tuneability to your weight. At your price point you will only get the most basic suspension fork. I am 160 pounds and I find that my suspension fork does almost nothing because I do not weigh enough. Cheap forks seem to be designed for very heavy riders. The money you don’t waste on the fork can go elsewhere on the bike for better components. However if you spend lots more high end suspension air forks can offer a very nice ride.

Last edited:
It should be very easy to change them out, but I would check with the seller/company to be 100% sure you can do this. Then, get your shock absorbing post and you're off and riding.

Actually, I just saw that the espin Sport is on sale for $1,199 (down from $1,699). EBR's review is mostly positive, and in another thread comparing the RadCity to the Sport, the poster said the sport was much more comfortable and easy to handle. I like the lower weight, the integrated lights, and fork. And it just looks sharp. My one reservation is that it's advertised as having an "aggressive riding style." I realize "aggressive" is relative, but with my back issues, it's not comfortable for me to be in a flexed/bent-over position for very long. Would it be possible to replace the flat bars with something more swept back/cruiser-style? If so, I think I may pull the trigger.

When ebike shopping, I gave up trying to find a bike with an upright riding style. I eventually bought one with the idea I would add a stem riser and different handlebars to get the riding position I wanted. I picked a bike with adequate cable lengths to simplify the mods.

Through experimentation, I found the Jones H bars with 2.5" rise and a Delta 5.5" inch stem riser worked best for me. Your needs may differ though.

I admire you for the presence of mind in looking at the cable lengths for their ability to be used with a taller handlebar setup. I wasn't that smart, and wound up making my own cables using a repair kit. It wasn't that hard, but easily extended the length of time to do the project by a factor of about 10. Live and learn (the hard way)! -Al

I just pulled the trigger on the Ride1Up LMT'D. Felt good . . . real good. Even if it's not shipping until August.

I really didn't want to spend more than $1,500 because I knew I'd also want a suspension seatpost and a (good) bike stand. And if I can't figure out how to put the damn thing together, I'll have to pay a local mechanic to do it. But the LMT'D seemed to meet almost all of my criteria, so it was hard to walk away:
  • Low weight, at least for an ebike, at 51 pounds.
  • Hydraulic disc brakes.
  • Air suspension fork. Helps bring down that weight.
  • Torque sensor. After spending every free second of my life in the past 48 hours combing through this forum and the most far-flung crevices of Google, I became convinced that a torque sensor would be better for me. My understanding is that it's preferred for hilly terrain, as it offers a higher energy output for battery effort. I live in the mountains of North Carolina, and my typical 22-mile weekend ride includes 3,000+ feet of vertical, so good hill climbing power is vital. It also seems like torque sensors provide a smoother ride and make the bike feel more akin to shifting on a traditional bike. The Rize 2020 offers an option with torque sensor and hydraulic brakes for $1,699, but it's sold out (and weighs over 10 pounds more than the LMT'D). The red Rize is super-sharp looking though--possibly the best-looking ebike I've seen.
  • Ride1Up's good reputation, so far as I can tell. They seem to have good professional reviews and feedback in this forum and on Reddit, and they've been around a few years, which, from my understanding, makes them practically veterans in the exploding ebike market. I really liked the espin Sport, and for a while it was my top choice (parts seem comparable to most entry-level bikes, weighs 55 lbs, looks super-sharp), but the lack of reviews and forum discussions about the company and their products gave me pause. The Sport's markdown from $1,799 to $1,199 also seems too good to be true. Given how hot the e-bike market currently is, and the fact that many companies have been raising their prices a hundred bucks or more since the pandemic ramped up, this struck me as odd. I don't want to be stuck with a bike from a company that isn't around in a few years.
  • Integrated battery and sleek look. Even many of the higher-end ebikes look like a battery was just slapped on. I don't love the LMTD's color, and I wish there were more options, but the profile is sleek as hell.
The lack of fenders and a rack isn't a total negative to me since I work from home and plan to use this mainly for touring and kicking around town. And, of course, it brings the weight down. I will probably get a rack, though, so I can start running errands with the bike.

This morning I was really close to pulling the trigger on the Aventon 500, and possibly the Level. Ultimately, the acceleration issue turned me off. It's super-hilly where I live, and on my main biking/car route there's a stop sign at the top of a steep hill, so not being able to throttle from a complete stop and having to manage a pretty serious lurch from PAS 0 to 1 wasn't tenable, especially if I eventually want to get a child seat attachment to take my son along.

That's my story. Wish me luck! I'll report back in August (fingers crossed).

Last edited:
I just pulled the trigger on the Ride1Up LMT'D. Felt good . . . real good. Even if it's not shipping until August.

I really didn't want to spend more than $1,500 because I knew I'd also want a suspension seatpost and a (good) bike rack. And if I can't figure out how to put the damn thing together, I'll have to pay a local mechanic to do it. But the LMT'D seemed to meet almost all of my criteria, so it was hard to walk away:
  • Low weight, at least for an ebike, at 51 pounds.
  • Hydraulic disc brakes.
  • Air suspension fork. Helps bring down that weight.
  • Torque sensor. After spending every free second of my life in the past 48 hours combing through this forum and the most far-flung crevices of Google, I became convinced that a torque sensor would be better for me. My understanding is that it's preferred for hilly terrain, as it offers a higher energy output for battery effort. I live in the mountains of North Carolina, and my typical 22-mile weekend ride includes 3,000+ feet of vertical, so good hill climbing power is vital. It also seems like torque sensors provide a smoother ride and make the bike feel more akin to shifting on a traditional bike. The Rize 2020 offers an option with torque sensor and hydraulic brakes for $1,699, but it's sold out (and weighs over 10 pounds more than the LMT'D). The red Rize is super-sharp looking though--possibly the best-looking ebike I've seen.
  • Ride1Up's good reputation, so far as I can tell. They seem to have good professional reviews and feedback in this forum and on Reddit, and they've been around a few years, which, from my understanding, makes them practically veterans in the exploding ebike market. I really liked the espin Sport, and for a while it was my top choice (parts seem comparable to most entry-level bikes, weighs 55 lbs, looks super-sharp), but the lack of reviews and forum discussions about the company and their products gave me pause. The Sport's markdown from $1,799 to $1,199 also seems too good to be true. Given how hot the e-bike market currently is, and the fact that many companies have been raising their prices a hundred bucks or more since the pandemic ramped up, this struck me as odd. I don't want to be stuck with a bike from a company that isn't around in a few years.
  • Integrated battery and sleek look. Even many of the higher-end ebikes look like a battery was just slapped on. I don't love the LMTD's color, and I wish there were more options, but the profile is sleek as hell.
The lack of fenders and a rack isn't a total negative to me since I work from home and plan to use this mainly for touring and kicking around town. And, of course, it brings the weight down. I will probably get a rack, though, so I can start running errands with the bike.

This morning I was really close to pulling the trigger on the Aventon 500, and possibly the Level. Ultimately, the acceleration issue turned me off. It's super-hilly where I live, and on my main biking/car route there's a stop sign at the top of a steep hill, so not being able to throttle from a complete stop and having to manage a pretty serious lurch from PAS 0 to 1 wasn't tenable, especially if I eventually want to get a child seat attachment to take my son along.

That's my story. Wish me luck! I'll report back in August (fingers crossed).
Congrats on your new bike! I'm sure you'll get a lot of fun rides from your new toy. 🙂

Good Choice! Just a note one the sport, it looks like it comes with an adjustable neck so the ride position is somewhat adjustable. If you want a more upright riding position, a suspension seat-post is definitely going to help you more than a suspension fork, but i would definetly have both. I'm happy with the Suntour NX12 seat posts, but never tried the Kinekt yet. I think the more upright the position the more benefit you will have from the Kinekt vs Suntour seat posts, but this is a theory.

Back