Front bag battery locking?

LordDavon

So, I had a budget for 2 folding 26" electric mountain bikes (for my wife and me) and ended up getting a couple Cliensy MX350 mountain bikes (these have several different brands though). I know, probably not the best bikes out there, but I am really loving them. They weren't too expensive either (made an offer of $539 each for 2 on eBay). Anyhow, these come with batteries that sit in a bag that hang from the handlebars and I want to be able to lock the bag to the bike. Is there a replacement bag that locks to the bike, or is there a way to lock the battery bag to the bike to avoid theft?

Here is a pic of the bike I found.

1587917278053.png

I live in a small city and don’t worry much about battery theft. I’m never to far from my bike. I suggest bless you park it for a lengthy amount of time you probably pretty safe. BTW, can you share the battery details?

It’s just a 36V 8AH pack. I’m sure it is just chained 18650 batteries. Not sure who makes it or what cells are in the pack. Seems to last a while though. I mostly pedal the bike, but after a long workout it is fun to hit the throttle and let the wind cool you down for about 20 minutes. I live in a gated community with the main road being a circle, so I pedal around the circle after dinner. My wife gets a little scared when she hits the throttle On hers.

The bike has a S866 display. Pedal assist is always on, when the bike is on. I’ve set it to not use pedal assist on startup, but it doesn’t make a difference. So, I have to turn the bike off for pure bike mode. Probably due to the controller. It’s my biggest gripe.

I'd put a rack on the back and mount the battery there w/ some big stainless steel hose clamps from an auto store. If you put in a big Wald's basket you would have a place to pack stuff as well. Yes, they make clamps that big, I have them around my bottle battery. I'd also bugger up the threads so they couldn't easily be unscrewed. FWIW, placing the battery up high and on the H-bars is probably the worst place you could ever put it. It surely makes the bike top heavy and slow to steer.

I used one of the Wald front baskets like the one shown here on the rear of my eBike. It's screwed down to the rear rack. These things are built to a higher standard. Very high quality and extra heavy duty. I can fill mine up with groceries, and hang three bags of food on the sides and rear. You just can't bend these things.

Attachments

• main_IG2126193507_20150416112148.jpg
    main_IG2126193507_20150416112148.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
I'd put a rack on the back and mount the battery there w/ some big stainless steel hose clamps from an auto store on it. If you put in a Big Wald's basket back there you would have a place to pack stuff as well. Yes, they make clamps that big, I have them around my bottle battery. I'd also bugger up the threads so they couldn't easily be unscrewed. FWIW, placing the battery up high and on the H-bars is probably the worst place you could ever put it. It surely makes the bike top heavy and slow to steer.
The bike is folding, so will that hinder the fold capability? It'd be something to consider if it still folds.

The battery isn't really that heavy, so it isn't affecting steering. I rode it for a few days before the battery arrived and adding it didn't make much difference.

According to the specs on your bike, it's supposed to have a Bicycle Only mode, which I assume means you just pedal it. These bikes seldom have instructions, so you might want to fool around w/ all the settings and see if it has that. There also may be a way to take the plastic box off the controller and unplug the speed limiter and get 20MPH. I did that on my Ancheer, which is sorta like yours ($600 bike). Can't remember what color wire it is, it's often a jumper wire.

If you get tired of the bike, I highly recommend the Ancheer below. I'm on my 2nd one, just wore out the last one on a long commute 7 days a week for 2 years. The best part about the bike is that in addition to two pedal assist modes it has a throttle as well, and w/ that you can choose to not use the battery and pedal it like a regular bike. These are extremely dependable bikes.

Attachments

• ANCHEER-2020-Pro-Electric-Mountain-Bike.jpg
    ANCHEER-2020-Pro-Electric-Mountain-Bike.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 410
According to the specs on your bike, it's supposed to have a Bicycle Only mode, which I assume means you just pedal it. These bikes seldom have instructions, so you might want to fool around w/ all the settings and see if it has that. There also may be a way to take the plastic box off the controller and unplug the speed limiter and get 20MPH. I did that on my Ancheer, which is sorta like yours ($600 bike). Can't remember what color wire it is, it's often a jumper wire.

If you get tired of the bike, I highly recommend the Ancheer below. I'm on my 2nd one, just wore out the last one on a long commute 7 days a week for 2 years. The best part about the bike is that in addition to two pedal assist modes it has a throttle as well, and w/ that you can choose to not use the battery and pedal it like a regular bike. These are extremely dependable bikes.
Thank you for the suggestion. It goes 20, and has a thumb throttle. I got all the settings for the S866 and made sure to check all the settings. I set the speed to 100, disabled cruise control (5 seconds on the throttle turns it on), and set pedal assist to be off at the lowest setting. Unfortunately, cruise and pedal assist didn't change. If I turn the bike off, it is all pedal, but that's just my work-around for now. It may be a setting I've not found or be at the controller. I'm sure there is a way to turn it off with the power being on. Really only bugs me at night though, since the power has to be on in order for the headlight to work. My wife's bike is the same way, but both were listed as having 3 modes (pedal, pedal assist and throttle). The listing was for the UPGRADED MX300 (we received the MX350), so I am assuming that they just didn't set something correctly, since it is the new version.

I looked at the Ancheer and had that in my top searches for a bit. Looks like a great bike. I went with the Cliensy (Eshylala I think is the OEM) because it was folding, 350W and had good reviews. I also found a vendor on eBay that would negotiate. I think the features of the Cliensy and Ancheer are pretty close.

Folding is important to me. I can fold both bikes and toss them in the bed of my truck (Tacoma) with the tonneau cover closed, and still fit some luggage. This way if it is raining, the bikes don't get wet. Plus, my tail gate locks so no worries if we stop on the way to our destination.

Now I need to lock the battery to the bike, so I can stop and get a meal or shop while riding. I've got a U style lock for the bike, from my older bike. May see if I can find a bigger one that will go through both tires when folded to lock it that way. I had a friend suggest a chain lock for the battery bag. I found one with a built in alarm. May give it a try.

I really love this bike. It rides nicely, shifts gears smoothly and is easy to pedal. Small squeak in the front tire at first, but it was just an adjustment. I'll probably upgrade to a bigger battery/higher wattage model in a year though and give this one to my daughter. The assist bugs me, but is more an annoyance. I am sure I'll figure it out. I'm going to research the controller next and see if there is a dip switch or something there to correct it.

Warning. Worst customer service you ever had. Buy a Cliensy bike at your own risk.
I purchased from Amazon a Cliensy sold as a 500 Watt Folding Ebike in February 2020. I do question the claim that the motor states on it's side plate it is 500 watts. However the bikes controller that came with the bike is a 36 V 13 amp controller. The battery is in a bag attached to the handle bars and it is 36 volt 10 amp. It doesn't add up. My bike has the rear shock in front of the seat post. I have tried on numerous occasions to get the name of the motor manufacturer and error codes for the controller to repair the bike from the Amazon seller, one R. Goodday but no luck. This seller does not know the difference between continuous and peak power. The decal on the bike says YIIYYAA and EV bike.
Warning: If you purchase from Amazon or Ebay, make sure the seller can tell you the tech specifics of the bikes they are selling. Many of them don't have a clue. My knowledge at the time wasn't enough to ask the right questions before my purchase.
The mechanical brakes that came on the bike were pretty bad so I put on Juin Tech M1 cable actuated hydraulic calipers and the difference is amazing. It stops on a dime now. One finger I also changed the front no name bang bang bang spring fork to an Lutu 120 mm fully adjustable air fork that is set up for my weight and the bike rides really pleasant now. For the around $ 250 dollars extra cost to the bikes original $690 original price, both additions were well worth the cost. IMHO of course. Time will tell the reliability of the Juin Tech M1 brakes and the Lutu fork.
If anyone out there in this ozone layer can tell me who manufactured the motor on that particular ebike, is I would appreciate the feedback.
This bike will now Work well till my Frey CC bike arrives.

Last edited:
Back