From the Craigslist Used E-Bike Files

LewSchiller

I always check Craigslist for fun and profit.
Saw this today...anything under $1,000 catches my eye...but would you ride a 1500 watt bike with rim brakes?
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

1.5KW Electric Bike on a Specialized Stumpjumper 19" mountain bike frame for sale

Motor: 1500W Electric rear-hub motor(about 2hp) with 750W limit switch(to make it road-legal)
Battery: 10Ah Li-ion battery
Throttle: right-hand grip twist throttle
Frame: Specialized Stumpjumper 19"
Wheels: 26"x1.75" with road tires

Extras: comes with rear pannier rack and bag, spare tubes, bike computer, charger, and kickstand

I wanted to start biking to work so I went and got a big beastly ebike, but after riding it for about 6 months Ive gotten in good enough shape that I dont need the electric assist anymore, so I got a road bike and Im selling this one. The motor gets up to 30-ish mph in 1.5kW mode and 20mph 750W mode. I've tried pure-throttle(no pedaling) and it will go about 15 miles this way. Manitou front shocks have adjustable dampening and battery is brand new as of 8 months ago and it comes with all the trimmings that I added little by little as I was working out all the kinks.

Specialized E-MB.jpg Specialized Controller.jpg

A lot of DIY don't think about stopping from 30-ish. Always make sure they have the charger and keys to the battery cradle. If those don't exist, it's likely stolen!

Rim brakes a deal breaker for sure here....

Well I'm not buying - I just put this up for discussion..but of course you're right regarding stolen bikes.
I'm still getting used to my Hydraulic Discs and having not ridden in decades that's taking some time.

I see lots of these DIY e-bikes ads on my local CL. A few years ago there was a big price difference between DIY and OEM bikes but that’s no longer the case in 2018.

My first stop when looking into something new is CL. I've always done well there.
When it came to E-Bikes though there wasn't much and what was there were much like this.
Not that kitting your bike isn't a fun thing to do but they weren't a good value when offered for sale.

My first bike was a DIY'er. I did a lot of research and bought quality components, starting with a new Schwinn 29'er equipped with disk brakes. That project turned out great, was a huge success, with more power and a way bigger battery than was necessary (50 mile range easily). It literally spoiled me! The only issue I had was the weight (at nearly 70lbs) and the fact I had used way too big a bike frame. This old man struggled getting on and off that 29'er, even when pulling the bike over on it's side to climb on and off.

Anyway, all up with all brand new top of the line components, I had about 1300 into it and it looked like a production bike. Wire harnesses were done neatly and cables were sized correctly so the front didn't look like a mess. After building my latest bike, based on a Rad City, this 8 month old Schwinn was collecting dust so I decided it was time to find a new owner for it. I listed it on Craigslist for what I had into it. After demoing the bike 3 times to prospective buyers (which really was a lot of fun in itself), I accepted 1200 for it. The buyer was incredibly happy with his purchase. That grin is very difficult to conceal.....

Point being, nicely done DIY e-bikes are not that difficult to sell. You don't see them on Craigslist often....even here in the Metro Detroit area.

Attachments

• DSC00162.JPG
    DSC00162.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 5,477
Last edited:
Yes, and I learned a TON about these things. That first bike was a leap of faith, a shot in the dark, and a collection of "best guesses" all rolled into one! I didn't even know anybody that had an e-bike!

I will say though, that after seeing it first hand, it didn't take the wife long to figure out her "new bike" was next. Built similarly, based on a new Schwinn, but using lessons already learned on the first bike, that one turned out really well too. I offered to buy her a Rad City Step Through after getting mine right, and lets just say I doubt she's going to be giving up her first bike any time soon....

Last edited:
That particular craigslist bike has the lugs for calipers. One could always convert to disks. Not that expensive to retrofit.

I wouldn't ride any 1500W direct drive though. They're for electrical moped fans.

Re: 1500w DD, that's so untrue. I doubt seriously you've ever ridden one. Granted, there's a lot of potential for speed (for those seeking that), but set up conservatively, they're as docile to ride or handle as anything else out there.

Here's a good one:
"Selling my Hylander dual-suspension Fat Tire bike. Retails $1,899 but I will sell for $950 considering it needs both battery and charger. Other than that the bike runs great! Has real time GPS and goes up to 45mph! "

So....no battery..no charger...runs great! (He just couldn't find the battery or charger...so...for sure not stolen)
Rusty Sprockets.jpg
I'm calling dibs on Rusty Sprockets for my new stage name.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
Re: 1500w DD, that's so untrue. I doubt seriously you've ever ridden one. Granted, there's a lot of potential for speed (for those seeking that), but set up conservatively, they're as docile to ride or handle as anything else out there.

I've ridden the commercial DD ebikes. Stromers. Evelo. 400W, I think. Those would bore the folks with high potential motors.

I've still got several unused motors laying around, and it's walking around money to add a 1500W DD to the project pile, but I know I'll never ride it. Doesn't appeal to me to have a big pizza plate on the rear wheel.

If I needed to ride on the street and be somewhere on time, it would have utility.

Not going to enter the gear vs. direct drive debate. I think we both know each has their place. My point was the bigger 1000-1500w direct drives are pretty civilized even at trail and sidewalk speeds. They're big enough to have the torque required to get the job done (vs. 500-750w gear drives) without gears for a lot of us. Anyone that thinks differently should try one before comparing them to a moped.

Mando...Santa Maria!
Winter must be coming as E-Bikes are popping up on CL left and right
This,however, is something you don't see every day...
Mando.jpg
"Mando Footloose IM Ebike Mobile Cycling Training Extra battery and charger included
80 mile range Chainless, pedal regenerative electric cycle and exercise machine made in South Korea
Ferrari Red Sleek and unique design integrated wires in frame Cycling and exercising motorized bike
fitness aerobic machine"

And only $2,200 ... :rolleyes:
It's so unusual.

Back