For those in the CA zones affected by the blackout- How do you charge it ?

Solar panels....I have a 200 watts setup on my roof and can charge my 36 V 14.5 amp battery in 5 hrs. It works but it costs. The total setup cost with panels, 2 x 6 Volt deep cycle batteries, 20 Amp controller, 1000 watt inverter, monitor and associated hardwire (wiring, plugs, connectors, mounting roof hardware etc.) came in about $1000 Can. But I get 60 kms distance per charge and can charge all my phones, and other devices. Worth the piece of mind if there were ever a power failure.

OK Guys,

For those who are thinking about building a solar charging station for their EV bikes. Here are the parts that I have used to accomplish this task. First off, I am not endorsing any particular manufacturer or brand but just listing what I use. All these items I purchased from Amazon and did all the installation by following the wiring diagrams that were supplied by the solar panel supplier.

My EV battery 36 V 14 Ah was fully charged within 5 hours and the draw on the system was 7 to 8 amps with 100 Watts real time data as indicated by the electricity usage monitor that was installed as well (optional item).

• 2 x Renoy 100 Watt polycrystalline solar panels
  • 2 x 12 V Go Cart Deep Cell batteries (best to get these types because they are built to take charging and discharging – beefer cells
  • 12 Volt 1000 watt power inverter (Aukey brand and you can get a USB charging port as well
  • Panel mounting hardware for roof top installations – 2 sets of brackets for 2 panels (4 brackets/set):
https://www.amazon.ca/Renogy-Solar-...anel+brackets&qid=1561578612&s=gateway&sr=8-3

• 4 in 1 Electricity usage monitor DC 6.5 – 100A:
https://www.amazon.ca/Electricity-M...icity+monitor&qid=1561578731&s=gateway&sr=8-4
  • Auto circuit Breaker Reset fuse:

OK that’s all the basic parts not included are the items such as the inside plug, 20 ft of copper wiring and a second trip fuse on the battery side of the setup.

BTW I have another posting in the, "DIY listings" with pictures...just search it.

I'm not affected by the CA blackout but we did have a local outage here in the northeast yesterday. I had a planned ride for today which I was able to do thanks to my little Honda camping generator. I fired it up to run the fridge anyway so I just plugged in the battery charger as well.

Pedal power?
I threw this together a few years ago. Bike stand, treadmill motor, schottky diode, and misc. wiring.
I've never had one to try but a DD hub should do the same thing.

Back