For comparison purposes and feedback... EG Athens

irenewg13

Region
USA
City
MadCity, Peoples Republic of Madison
Hi,

During this past week, I have asked many questions in these forums. I was considering and did purchase an EG Athens. This is my first e bike, so I was/am a newby. I have ridden the bike 2x, urban, but not in heavy taffic, ~ 14 total miles. My comments:

The bike had more power and response than I would have expected, from other's comments.
I only used the pedal assist in the first of 3 power levels. I had to coast often, in order to ride at an appropriate speed (slow down) ... no cars, city street.
I almost exclusively used gears 5, 6, and 7, for streets, 4 and 5 for moderate hills, with some occasional throttle, for my own need.

My street is at the top of ~7% grade hill. I had been told that an Athens probably couldn't get up this hill, or would have much difficulty in attempting it.
I wanted to see how the trottle handle it: full throttle, I started to slow by maybe 1/2 speed, about 1/2 way up. I started pedaling in the lowest power, and made it just fine. Not inching along, I wouldn't have wanted to go any faster.
Due to my own need, I used just the throttle for about the last 2 miles.
When I got home, all 4 of my battery lights were still on.

I didn't like the way it gears down. The lever that one needs to press with a thumb was tight, so I used the heel of my hand. Gearing up is a button, and works well.
The fork post has suspension, but not the seat post. I think all bikes should have some!

Last edited:
Welcome to the club! A thumb shifter should be very easy to move. if it's sticky it's probably binding somewhere. Loosed the screw/s and move it a bit either way, it should free up. if it's tight in the cable it might be routed poorly. Get something to sit on and sit there and just look at it for a few minutes checking the routing of the cables as you move the handlebar from one side to the other.

Thanks

I'll probably just ride it back to the shop ;~}

Welcome to the club! A thumb shifter should be very easy to move. if it's sticky it's probably binding somewhere. Loosed the screw/s and move it a bit either way, it should free up. if it's tight in the cable it might be routed poorly. Get something to sit on and sit there and just look at it for a few minutes checking the routing of the cables as you move the handlebar from one side to the other.

Much better to take 5 minutes and see it yourself and from then on you know. ;)

Back