Folding E-Bike Suggestions

alfred

Hi all,
I'm planning to buy a new foldable electric bike. Never used e-bikes before, but heard they are pretty good for health. I mean it is not as hard as normal cycling but still healthy. Plus the riding is kinda enjoyable and it's eco-friendly.

So I guess using e-bike is a smart move. However, I don't know much about e-bikes. So I will need your help in choosing a good one. Already did some research online but I'm still confused.

Yesterday I came across Amego EV folding electric bikes and I think they are cool. It'll fit in my budget and is convenient. If anyone here already owns em, please share your experience and help me choose a good one.
Thanks!

How do you plan to use the bike. Commuting? Errands?Recreation? How far do you plan to ride? I’ve got a similar folding bike. It’s a pretty common style of bike. It’s so heavy that I don’t find the folding function that useful. Small wheels aren’t as stable as bigger wheels. I love riding my bike but I’d say a folder like that isn’t for everyone.

I believe Katysax rides a Veego that is a 20" fatbike much like the Radmini with 20x4" tires. I also have a similar Ecotric 20" folding fatbike where I've added a better front fork, so it also rides like the other two bikes and is similar in size.. We also have two 20" conventional folding bikes with 20 x 1.75" tires, also electric.

The two styles are quite different. The fat tire folder is more suited for riding around campgrounds on non paved
roads. If you have no alternative, you might fold it, but I would roll mine up a ramp onto a platform carrier if I had to transport it. Mine is over 60 pounds like the Radmini. Fat tire bikes kind of lumber around. They're not agile. The tires will howl on pavement. My 20" fatbike is about 11" longer than my Downtube Nova, and that's after I put smaller tires on the fatbike. Otherwise the difference in length would be over over a foot, and in our case, the weight difference is over 20 pounds, as our bikes being conversions are lighter than most electric folders.

Something like the Amego Freedom is more appropriate for an urban setting. It will roll better with smooth tires. The bigger bike will be more stable at higher speeds though, if that is required, although folders were not designed to go fast.

Let me recommend to you the Folding Electric Bike category on the EBR website. Just about every folding ebike you can name is there (except the Veego, which is located in Florida where Court hasn't quite been to yet). As @Katysax says, it would also help to give us more information in terms of intended use. After about a year of my own research, I settled on the Rad Mini because I found it to be the best "all around" folding bike for the money. It is equally capable on and off road, it is comfortable and can ride like a cruiser, its feature set and power is very good, and the company has outstanding customer service. However, I looked hard at the Volt Urban and the Veego Semi-Fat. Both bikes are lighter, which was the biggest attraction, but I ultimately decided I wanted the power and torque of the Rad for trails. I also test rode a Magnum classic, but found the small wheels too squirrely. If I did have one recommendation, on a bike with 20" wheels I would go for a tire width of at least 3". I felt more stable on a folding bike with a wider tread. In short, the three biggest questions to me are 1.) On-road or off-road (or both) 2.) Weight, and 3.) Power. Answer those questions for yourself and that will narrow down the field.

I highly recommend the Ejoe Epic SE, 500 watt motor 48v 10.2 ah battery over 500 watt hour. Great cust support actually answer the phone. We have 2 and love them. If near me western NY happy to let you test them out. I’m 6’ 195 lb and easily get 35+ miles to charge and never fully charge or discharge my batteries. Chiclasser1@gmail

I have a Radmini. I got it because it folds up and also because I rode a similar bike on the beach and it was so much fun. The mini is heavy. I fold it up to fit better in my Ford Ranger pickup. Folded up, it gives me more practical room for other stuff. Because it is so heavy, I load it first by rolling it up into the pickup using a folding motorcycle ramp, and then I fold it up. I use a few tiedowns to make sure it stays up.

I just rode it on a 24 mile road tour. Yup, the tires are noisy. It is an all around bike, even with the fat tires. I use it for errands around town and then will take it up in the woods to ride trails and old roads. I've got 1200 miles on it. It's still a lot of fun to ride.

I guess the important thing is that folding does not mean light weight.

Yes I have the Veego Semi-fat. It has 3 inch tires which I think do well on a folder. They are quite comfortable on the street but also work well on campground gravel. It’s a little lighter than the Rad Mini. I use it for camping, errands and a 10 mile ride I like to do. After 10 miles the battery still has 80% left. I think it’s a good bike for the money but honestly I don’t think a small wheel folder is for everyone.

If I were doing serious off road riding I would want full sized wheels. If I were doing longer distance road riding I would want bigger wheels. For the kind of riding I’m doing 20x3 is fine; I prefer that to 20x4. Folders offer a lot of adjustability and transportability. But there are trade offs. My number one planned use was camping and neighborhood errands. A folder is great for that. My bike is still pretty heavy; I would not want to carry it upstairs.

Back