Foldable helmet

I've never tried one but I suppose they would be handy for those who don't carry a lot of gear when riding. I also prefer a helmet with a good size visor which would complicate the folding process. In my case, I just clip the helmet to my tail bag and carry it around with it's shoulder strap when leaving the bike unattended.

Last edited:
I'd want to see some impact testing results. Makes me nervous to think my safety gear can fold up. I know some folks are actually going to more like a motorcycle helmet when riding Class 3 Ebikes for a higher safety rating.

I'd want to see some impact testing results. Makes me nervous to think my safety gear can fold up. I know some folks are actually going to more like a motorcycle helmet when riding Class 3 Ebikes for a higher safety rating.
What bicycle helmet is independently tested? It depends on HOW it folds!

Do they even have safety rating regulation for bicycle helmets? I certainly don't see any stickers (DOT, ECE, SNELL, etc...)

All helmets sold in the USA have to pass CPSC tests. SNELL testing costs money. As I recall, Bell and Giro used to undergo SNELL testing, but I guess they felt it was no longer a valuable selling point, especially since their better helmets now use the licensed MIPS technology. As for folding helmets, it is probably not possible for them to have MIPS, so if one wanted that technology, a non-folding helmet is the only option.

I have never heard of them and just the title of the thread made me think WOW, is there such a thing??? Great idea for helmets to have safety testing. I know nothing about this, so interesting learning about it here.

Virginia Tech now tests and rates bike helmets, similar to their work on helmets in other sports.

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

That's a great source, thanks.

Interesting that their rating system gets different results c/w the article rich posted - they seem to do a more comprehensive assesment but very much focus on concussion risk
https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/bitst...e STAR Methodology.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

I wish legislators / manufacturers / researchers could start thinking about combined concussion / neck injury risk - MIPS technology seems to be considering rotational forces on the skull but we still haven't progressed to thinking about all cause mortality / morbidity ( not wanting to revisit the should we wear helmets thread, just a bit paranoid about neck injuries)

I look forward to the day when our helmets start adopting the same level pf technology as thecrest of our armour - eg d30 impact absorption material rather than just styrofoam....

This is not foldable but it has a hole so you don’t have to carry it but rather leave it locked with your bike.

Is that a problem? You can just run a lock through the straps of any helmet. Me, I'd rather have a helmet that has holes for ventilation.

I have never heard of them and just the title of the thread made me think WOW, is there such a thing??? Great idea for helmets to have safety testing. I know nothing about this, so interesting learning about it here.
I would think it might be similar to the UK testing of MC helmets. The helmets with movable chin guards, essentially a hing, were subject to higher fail rates. That said all the helmet fervor and none of the facts. Helmet been dropped from 3 feet? Trash. Helmet more than 3 years old? Trash. I always road highway speeds with a full face. Minimal at city speeds. That was on an MC. I ride at bicycle speeds, even though I have had 40mph builds. In winter when least expected to be seen on the road I wear a snowboard helmet. It’s the only way to stay warm sceptic an Uber heavy snowmobile helmet. It’s more a matter of evaluating risks than hard and fast full on what to wear. Helmet discussions stink generally. Someone always takes the moral high ground. If I road in some off the environments big city people do, I’d have a FF, fullface. A half helmet does nothing for teeth and jaws. Do what makes you comfortable. A failed folder will likely fair better than none at all.

BRAIN are reporting the Morpher folding helmet failed a Consumer Reports side impact absorption test. The manufacturer says the helmet passed the CPSC tests. Another Trek helmet that failed the CR test also previously passed both the CPSC and Virginia Tech's more extensive testing, so questions are being asked about CR's methods. Source: https://www.bicycleretailer.com/pro...nsafe-bontrager-morpher-and-woom#.XR9M3JNKiUk

Last edited:
Three Bike Helmets Fail Consumer Reports' Safety Tests
The Bontrager Ballista MIPS, Morpher Flat Folding, and Woom Kids are judged as ‘Don’t Buy: Safety Risk’
The Bontrager Ballista MIPS, Morpher Flat Folding, and Woom Kids are judged as ‘Don’t Buy: Safety Risk’

The first bicycle helmets were foldable...

Attachments

• vintage-retro-leather-cycling-helmet-2.jpg
    vintage-retro-leather-cycling-helmet-2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 441
BRAIN are reporting the Morpher folding helmet failed a Consumer Reports side impact absorption test. The manufacturer says the helmet passed the CPSC tests. Another Trek helmet that failed the CR test also previously passed both the CPSC and Virginia Tech's more extensive testing, so questions are being asked about CR's methods. Source: https://www.bicycleretailer.com/pro...nsafe-bontrager-morpher-and-woom#.XR9M3JNKiUk
BRAIN are reporting, a year after it failed crash impact tests, the CPSC are recalling the Morpher foldable helmet

I’m not impressed as I need significant strength and ventilation. A normal helmet is just fine with me!

Back