Foldable ebike for 4'10

Short_Stop

Good Morning All :)

I've looked at step-thru's and they're perfect for my height. But I'm also a commuter who relies on bus/train/uber for work, groceries, etc. A folding ebike (collapsible, sometimes even rollable) solves some of my commuting concerns :
-can't bring bikes on the train during peak hours.
-bus bike rack won't accommodate 60+lb bikes
-having to lift a full size bike over half my weight when getting on/off public trans.

Unfortunately, when I look at ebikes like the rad power mini, I'm just too short by several inches to ride it comfortably. No amount of letting air outta the tires is gonna get me there.

Looking for recommendations on folding ebikes for 4'10" with a max weight of 50lbs. Budget is $700-$1500.

Or, looking for your insight and suggestions on factors I should or haven't considered.

P.s. my commute without public trans is 9 miles one way. It can be done. Just was hoping to keep the sweating down.

Thanks everyone!

Why don't you try a folding step-through? Here is one: https://electricbikereview.com/blix/vika-plus/
According to the specs, its seat tube is almost 2" shorter than Rad Mini. Also, being a step-through, it's easier to get on and off.

Folders are still heavy, despite smaller wheels. Foldability requires more metal, clamps and so on. 51 lbs for this little one, while a big 26" non-folding step-through can weigh one or two pounds more.

You might find a lighter folder with smaller wheels (I wouldn't want, unless there is no other choice), or with a smaller battery (note that 400 WH on Vika is not very big battery already), or with too many shortcuts like thin frame tubes, rims, spokes etc.

Last edited:
Why don't you try a folding step-through? Here is one: https://electricbikereview.com/blix/vika-plus/
According to the specs, its seat tube is almost 2" shorter than Rad Mini. Also, being a step-through, it's easier to get on and off.

Folders are still heavy, despite smaller wheels. Foldability requires more metal, clamps and so on. 51 lbs for this little one, while a big 26" non-folding step-through can weigh one or two pounds more.

You might find a lighter folder with smaller wheels (I wouldn't want, unless there is no other choice), or with a smaller battery (note that 400 WH on Vika is not very big battery already), or with too many shortcuts like thin frame tubes, rims, spokes etc.

Thank you for advice about the Vika+. Although slightly out of my budget, all the specs make saving for a bit longer seem like a good move.

I understand your points about compromising on the weight. I can make 51lbs work. I'll put Vika+ on the short list. Thanks again.

If you can find one the previous model year EasyGo Volt weighs just 38lb, $1500, you'll need to call around their dealers to find if anyone still has them, or if you are in a Velofix service area try sending an email to [email protected] they might be able to check inventory as BH bikes is one of their Velofix Direct partners. Court did a review.

For converting a folder the Dahon Ciao i7 has an ultra low step over height and a 7-speed IGH so you can shift down when stationary, weighs 30lb without motor and battery, and costs $800. To add a motor and battery optimized for a folding bike I like Grin Tech's Bike Friday 20" kit which combines a Bafang G01 geared hub motor threaded into a 20" wheel with their lightweight modular LiGo batteries that fit in a saddle bag, it's $800 with 2 LiGo batteries, the CA3 display, and a simple cadence PAS sensor, they are small 98Wh batteries so 2 would get you about 15 miles, 3 maybe 22 miles, and being modular you can buy more later if you wanted more range, if your budget can stretch another $200 Grin recommend buying at least 3 LiGo packs to keep the discharge current under 2C which helps extend the battery life, but 2 would work and be just $100 over your budget. They are super light weight 2 LiGo batteries would add just 2.6lb, 3 would be 3.9lb! Dahon make their own electric assist version the Ciao Ei7 with a TransX hub motor and rack battery but that would be heavier and more expensive.

Last edited:
Back