FlyKly Update -- They've sold out to an Italian Firm and changed design

JoePah

Watching with some interest the increasing impatience of FlyKly backers. There haven't been any useful updates on KS for months... until this update on Kickstarter.
Dear FlyKly friends!

For some time now, we have been quiet about the progress of the Smart Wheel. It has been very difficult not to share any information with you, since we have been working on some very exciting things and we really wanted to share the progress with you. However, we couldn’t do that, due to the sensitive nature of information and the technology we have been working on. Everything had to be secured and official before a public announcement. Now, the day has finally arrived and we can officially announce it.

With a huge pride at what we have accomplished, we are announcing that FlyKly & ZeHuS have joined forces!

With this merger, we have joined forces with an accomplished tech team, patented technology and high quality production. Together we are bringing the FlyKly project to the next level and building a healthy venture for the future.

ZeHuS is a team of skilled engineers and highly motivated PhDs from Politecnico di Milano - mOve research team. They have gained their experience, knowledge and a rich history of technical innovation by working with prestigious companies. ZeHuS’ mission is to innovate the panorama of the human-propelled mobility and to promote efficient emission-free mobility in the cities. ZeHuS stands for Zero Emission Human Synergy.

ZeHuS tech team and production is located in Milan, Italy. With the merger, FlyKly production and development is also being moved there, joining in the great Italian tradition of high quality manufacture and design. FlyKly products will now be “made in Italy”.

We’ve been working together with ZeHuS for a while now and we have developed some very exciting and breakthrough products. We have upgraded the Smart Wheel technology and design. We didn’t want to wait and release the new Smart Wheel as a Smart Wheel 2.0 in a year. Instead, we wanted you to have the latest technology and the best possible product now. As a result, we are introducing two new products. FlyKly Smart Wheel powered by ZeHuS and FlyKly bicycle with Wize, equipped by Bike+ technology powered by ZeHuS.

The new FlyKly Smart Wheel powered by ZeHus is smaller, lighter and more efficient. We can achieve this because of patented innovative solutions, i.e. a smaller and more efficient motor, smart electronics and the perfected design.

One of the most exciting things that we have developed is the FlyKly Bicycle with the Wize, equipped by Bike+ technology powered by ZeHuS. Due to increased efficiency and a special mounting procedure, the batteries will never need recharging. Ever. Bicycle with the Wize is a brand new concept of integrating a sophisticated technology that optimizes the energy of the rider through an advanced energy management system.

We are preparing an Update #13, which will come out next week. In it, we will go into more detail about the products, tech specs and what is new.

It has been an exciting time for FlyKly and ZeHuS and we really appreciate your patience and support. None of this would be possible without you, so we are very happy to finally have you join us on our every step forward.

Stay Fly!
Basically it looks like they've sold out to an Italian Company ZeHuS (mentioned before in this thread), who looks like a spinoff from an Italian University (sounds like Copenhagen, no?), and they are completely revamping their one piece design, and adding another product. Delivery is now June 2014, was May, so that's not bad if it holds. Anyone want to bet that it slips again? They are promising more details next week. Also, "FlyKly products will now be made in Italy"... So much for Made in America.

Not impressed with the specs on this new design, at all. It's now a 24V system with a very small battery. There are relying heavily on regen. Checking the press kit from ZeHus it says:
  • Bike+ is the first product marked by ZeHus
  • Bike+ Hub specifications: ECU Two microcontrollers, 6 degrees of freedom, Inertial measurement unit (3dof accelerometer, 3 dof gyroscope) CAN-Bus line, Bluetooth module
  • Hardware and software designed by Zehus
  • Motor: DC brushless, 250 W, 24V nominal
  • Battery Li-ion, 8 elements in series, 160 watt hour, smartBMS specifically designed by ZeHuS
  • Case 6082 Alu, CNC machined; exclusive Italian design by ZeHuS, layout patented
  • FunctionsMetabolic Sensing Technology, Advanced Charge Sustaining Technology, regenerative brake, remote configuration via Bluetooth and smartphone App. Integration of the functions patented.
  • Weight: <3 kg (6.6 pounds) for the complete hub
There is also a much more expensive all in one product that is going for $1800. Not sure what it offers.

$1800 for less power than Copenhagen Wheel and double the price? Either the Copenhagen Wheel will just destroy FlyKly or we are in store for a 'surprise' from Superpedestrian :)

From designer/engineer point of view, it's easy to understand their predicament. Design modifications, engineering improvements are common but banking on crowd funded money with tall promises, it can be very stressful.

From customer standpoint, it is a major red flag...!! Why ? because, they are downgrading the specs and any amount of marketing gimmicks won't do it. 24V, 6.6Ah battery will drain in no time when you're climbing hills of San Francisco..!!

Either designers are total amateurs who just finished their mechanical engineering degree from college or some genius idea in the cooking that might be worth the wait.

I still have my hopes on Copenhegen wheel/Superpedestrian. They seem to stem from a solid university background (MIT) with a ton of venture capitalist funding (NOT kickstarter money with common people hoping and anticipating) and that gives them a leeway to release the product without all this pressure.

From designer/engineer point of view, it's easy to understand their predicament. Design modifications, engineering improvements are common but banking on crowd funded money with tall promises, it can be very stressful.

From customer standpoint, it is a major red flag...!! Why ? because, they are downgrading the specs and any amount of marketing gimmicks won't do it. 24V, 6.6Ah battery will drain in no time when you're climbing hills of San Francisco..!!

Either designers are total amateurs who just finished their mechanical engineering degree from college or some genius idea in the cooking that might be worth the wait.

I still have my hopes on Copenhegen wheel/Superpedestrian. They seem to stem from a solid university background (MIT) with a ton of venture capitalist funding (NOT kickstarter money with common people hoping and anticipating) and that gives them a leeway to release the product without all this pressure.
I was really psyched about the FLYKLY.. I have an old racer that would be perfect with an all in one wheel... Oh well, guess I'll wait and see...

Interesting Joe, thanks for the update! I was really hoping to test this kit on my East Coast road trip but it sounds like they're sort of going back to the drawing board or just hopping on the ZeHus product and redirecting the interest they earned on Kickstarter. I'm afraid my car won't float so I can't visit their Italian headquarters in Milan but I did start this thread to begin gathering more feedback on ZeHus.

Still have not seen any reviews from Copenhagen Wheel from the first release. The information about FlyKly spec's and price make the CW seem like even a better VALUE.
Ummm my post may have been misleading. Flykly now offers an $800 wheel and a $1800 wheel. The 800 version appears to be a significant downgrade from their initial KS offering. That is the wheel KS backers will receive I think.

Feel free to list out questions I should ask along with things you want to see in a review. I try to be thorough and objective but remain approachable and supportive towards manufacturers. Always open to feedback ;)

Court - the CW specs lists 48v but nothing re: Ah of the battery. They talk about an accessory program where extra batteries will be available but nothing yet on the website. These are issues that need to be clarified and obviously reviews from the users in the first 1000 wheels sold would be helpful.

Back