Fixing up 2004 Electric Bike - Charger!

Thanks i went with the extender since it could be delivered tomorrow. Other one was going to be a few weeks or i would have preferred that. Thanks again for all your help, your the man! Amazon accidentally sent me 2 of the new handlebars so i am also happy about that, i can put the other on the Rideal most likely.

Just got the suspension post in and thought the shim was the wrong size, it was sliding down into the tube pretty easily but then i tried to rest the lip of the shim on the top of the tube and tightened and it held. Did a test ride and the suspension element seemed really great, i went with the SR SUNTOUR that is shipped from england for about $80. Reviews were really good and after i purchased i saw that Micah (from electrek bike review) parents were using this suspension post. I felt the $30 ones were probably not good enough and the $200+ ones were a little too pricey for now. Also got the quill extender but remembered i would have to most likely adjust the brake and shifter cables to get it installed correctly so i will wait for my Rideal bike to get here before i do that quill extender. Thanks and now this bike is turning out pretty awesome.

So the bike now has 1500 miles and it's pretty slow. I don't really use it but I feel a lot of resistance or something. I wonder if replacing the chains on the pedal and motor chain would help it out. It has a weird 2 chain setup, with the motor being middrive with a chain connected to back wheel and pedal chain connected to Nexus 7 internal gear hub. Design is from early 2000s. The bike had been sitting unused for so long and now that I have a nother bike to compare, I feel like something is off. Wheels spin freely, so brakes aren't slowing it down. Could there be anything that could need relubing or maybe a full service tune up from a professional for around or over $150 is also an option. Shifting was erratic but I smoothed that out. New batteries from dealer so I'm sure those are okay.

So the bike now has 1500 miles and it's pretty slow. I don't really use it but I feel a lot of resistance or something. I wonder if replacing the chains on the pedal and motor chain would help it out. It has a weird 2 chain setup, with the motor being middrive with a chain connected to back wheel and pedal chain connected to Nexus 7 internal gear hub. Design is from early 2000s. The bike had been sitting unused for so long and now that I have a nother bike to compare, I feel like something is off. Wheels spin freely, so brakes aren't slowing it down. Could there be anything that could need relubing or maybe a full service tune up from a professional for around or over $150 is also an option. Shifting was erratic but I smoothed that out. New batteries from dealer so I'm sure those are okay.
I would soak the core of the IGH in Mobile One for an hour. Then repack it with grease. Hubs are low maintenance but still require lube.

The soaking in the oil seems reasonable but repacking with grease seems like quite the tough job, to have to dissemble and reassemble the whole hub. Do you really think that would help with speeding up the bike verses replacing the chains? I would think that the hub doesn't have anything to do with the speed of the bike, but i know very little about bikes at the moment.

Here is a video of a nexus 8, mine is a nexus 7. Seems similar. I haven't watched the whole video yet but it might be do able to take it apart and clean it. I am not really seeing any videos on youtube detailing the steps though. I found one other video that i will link that seems not too bad.

A new chain will help. On a Nexus 3-speed it is easy to inject oil into the axel's center hole of the transmission. This makes it coast much further and run smoothly. As one guy noted, there is nothing as smooth as a lubed tranny. On the 7 & 8 speeds the internal gearing comes out of a side cap on the hub and goes into a plastic cup with Shimano oil for service. I use Mobil 1. It is not like taking apart a clock. The intact unit comes out, gets a bath and then goes back in. Just download the service manual.

haha i just looked up my local bike repair place (which i have never gone too but considering it) and they list all of their services and prices.. over 150 listed, and the only one that gives no price and just says HOURLY is overhaul of IGH, ofcourse.

Ok great thanks for the reply. I will probably just replace the chains because i have them all and look into that oil change!

When you do the chain replace the rear cog. Get the widest single speed chain that you can. I like a 16-t cog.
1635375849026.png

wow okay, so will this effect my speed or climbing ability? I live in a VERY hilly area and have to tackle one giant hill to get to the store that i want to use the bike, if that helps. as of now i have to use the lowest gear and go about 5mph up the hill which is pretty brutal.

i found this guide, might try to follow along.

just have to start ordering things, like oil, the cog, and container to hold the IGH while lubing. Also can i use normal bike grease ( i have park tools bike grease). You also mention soaking and then injecting, in the guide he just mentions injecting the oil on the outside gear elements but not in a hole. Anyone have a particular oil they can recommend that won't break the bank, specific to the number i would need? thanks guys

I have the bike up on a stand and i removed all covers, removed the 2 chains and i cleaned the cogs and rollers as well as i could. I took the wheel off and now just deciding if i should do a complete tear down of the IGH by following the video below and clean all the individual parts, and reassemble it. The guy has a video on both disassemble and reassemble, although its a nexus 8 vs my nexus 7. I will link another video of a guy doing the disassemble to a nexus 7 also. I am currently stuck at needing a cone wrench to remove the nut on the roller brake side.

and here is the nexus 7 specific video.

I would soak the core of the IGH in Mobile One for an hour. Then repack it with grease. Hubs are low maintenance but still require lube.
Hello just curious if you can tell me a good SAE number for the mobile one. Looking up shimano oil and it was $70 to $100 which is insane. Thanks!

0-40. They say 30 seconds. I give it a couple of hours of turning over and sloshing to get out the black gunk. Then pack with green poly grease from Park Tool or white lithium which I prefer for this from a local auto parts store. The Alfine dust cover is anti-clock wise. Nexus pries off. The lock ring just takes a screw driver. It is only hard the first time. Voicing four-letter explicatives is useful at this stage while speaking of such things as female dogs, copulation and deification. Lay parts out in order of removal, left and right. Putting it all back is easier, satisfying.

cool i ordered the oil and already have the park tool grease, and i decided on getting a slim channel lock tool from amazon that a lot of people mentioned using for bikes, since it was cheaper than buying a bunch of different sized ones. Thanks for the suggestions.

Also i ordered the 16 tooth sprocket you suggested but it might take awhile to get here. do you think i should replace the front sprocket? I think it's currently 32 tooth (maybe 33). Looks slightly beat up.

front-sprocket.jpg

Also here is the actual motor. There is a rubberband to the left that looks good, pretty rusty casing for the motor and some rust on the axle, i tried cleaning it a little with ATF but i will try a little more. I wonder if this would cause a slow down, or signs that the motor could be going? I think the motor is fine though, not 100% sure though but it seemed good, just mainly the bike was "slowing" down front when i first got it over 1500 miles ago.

Plan is to get the oil, replace the sprockets (both if needed), service the IGH and put on the 2 new chains. I am looking at the roller brake now and i did a little research, these things are pretty low maintenance but i should probably re-grease the rollers. If anyone has suggestion on grease for that let me know.

charger-rust.jpg

Replacing the chainring would be good. Use your Park Tool grease in the roller brake. The rust looks bad. I do not know about this particular system and how changing the gearing ratios will impact it.

I have not been able to get into the IGH yet, because i didn't have the channel lock to remove the IGH and open it up, so I finished the major cleaning, replaced both chains and reassembled everything. Seems to be working pretty well, did a short ride last night. Seemed better and i will try to open up the IGH when i get the oil in a few days. One last thing, if i open the IGH and its very dirty inside, can i just use bike degreaser to clean it or is there some other kind of solvent or something to use? I saw a video of a guy using a brush to apply some liquid to remove all the old grease when he had it opened up. Thanks

I prefer swept back bars also. That isn't the right part. That converts it to a threadless stem. This is an extender, but I would just buy a new longer stem.
Thanks for linking the gooseneck, i will be installing it this weekend and replacing all the cables and housing, along with replacing the twist shifter with a thumb shifter that i talk about in another thread.

I went for a test ride the other day after doing major cleaning and replacing the chains and it's running pretty darn good. Not perfect, but that's what i'm hoping the servicing of the IGH will help with. It was shifting pretty well, and i'm only seeing a few problems around the 6th gear. I couldn't align it in 4th gear because of the shotty shifter cable so i am hoping when i replace that it will also help, if not the cleaning.

Back