First town and back trip today.

DouglasB

We did our first "Town Run" on the Ebikes today. The weather started out nice enough. No rain but the road surfaces were still wet. We did 22 miles round trip. The rain caught us on the last six. If we han't been grinning so hard it might have bothered us. On the way in we were passed by a group of three, very fast and hardy road bikers. These folks were doing 22+ on the flats, with just their legs. They snuck up on us and went by like the bad ass bikers they were, pumpin' and grindin'. Looked like the Tour de France I cold almost read their minds as they went by, "F#%kin' Ebikers!" They seemed pretty proud of themselves. I looked down at my display and saw that I still had two more levels of assist. I didn't want to be an ass and I knew Barb would probably scold me for it later but I couldn't help myself. I flipped it into the next power level and easily sped past them, in my laid back, upright postition. Barbara saw the woman in the rear of the group look at her partner with a big question mark on her face. He mumbled "Ebikes". We left them in the dust... well mud. When Barbara caught up to me, to my supprise, she was smiling as well. I think I should have been scolded for that blatent display of machismo.

Last edited:
If they ever catch up to you, tell them that yes, it's an e-bike but you have the motor turned off.. :)

Congrats on the ride, sounds like your hooked. Welcome to the club.

You never know what kindof reaction you will get when passing really fit riders. I have had some make snide remarks(I just say 'have a nice ride') and had a guy ride my back wheel for 10miles drafting me in a good 15-20mph headwind (I was maxed out at 20mph), I finally let him ride up beside me and he thanked me for the tow.

I had a crazy roadie lady start yelling at me about 2 months ago. I was initially trying to be courteous so I hung back about 4 bike lengths thru some tight bike path sections and she finally started yelling at me to pass. As I went by, she called me an a$$h$le for not passing her sooner. When she saw I was on an ebike, she went absolutely crazy. I actually started playing with her slowing down so she would get closer and everytime I did she would start yelling at me again. After 15 minutes of this I just left her behind

It's wrong to use any type of motor to assist a bicycle, just ask all the acoustic bike riders. :)

I have been researching ebikes since about 2012 and had a love affair with the early Stromer ST1 but had never actually ridden an ebike..

Then about 6 months ago some 70+ year old guy passed me on a good sized uphill riding a pedego step thru like I was standing still.

If you cant beat um, join um

Last edited:
Back