First time on my Moscow

DavidN

This might seem like a silly question but is there a certain way to ride an ebike ? Went for my very first ebike ride today on the Ncm Moscow, first set of gears (1-7 ?) felt too easy so moved up to 8-15 and used assist levels 3/4. When moving off can really feel motor kicking in and i know it cuts off at 15mph but there were times on the flat when doing less than 15mph maybe around12/13mph when i didn't feel much assist but if i actually pedalled a bit slower the assist seemed to kick in, then near the end of my route there was a steep hill so i went up to level 5 and without me doing much pedalling i flew up at 15mph which was awesome ! Am i doing something wrong or is it just the assist level i am choosing ?

You'll have to find the right gear level and assist level that suits you and that can change with terrain. Not sure if that bike as a torque sensor or is just a Cadence sensor bike. On of my cadence sensor bikes cannot go less than 20km/h on level ground if using assist.

I think you'll just need to understand how your e-bike works.

Hi David
Glad to hear you are enjoying your bike especally that hill assistance works well. hopefully mine will arrive this week.

For me the assistance level is more related to the speed I wish to go. Level 1 is around 10mph, level 2 around 13 mph and so on. So if I'm in level 1 the assistance will pretty much shut off after I go over 10 mph and will not kick back on until I slow and start to peddle again.

It has a cadence sensor - so being in the “correct” gear is essential. Get it wrong and it’s almost impossible to get moving - it just becomes a 25kg lump! Takes some practice but once you suss it out you’ll be fine.

Congrats on the new bike. The rear hub motor is totally independent of the gears when it runs it's essentially like you're on a normal bike going downhill. The lowest gears won't get you anywhere, you'll just spin your legs. With that said, the motor has some pep to it so there's really no use for the lowest gears, at least with the 500W motor they sell here in the States. On flat ground, I almost always start with the front derailleur on 2 and back on 4 or so. I typically ride at assist level 4, which means the bike is going to try to maintain 16mph which also means once I'm up to speed I am usually on 6 or sometimes 7th gear on the read derailleur. On steep hills there are definitely times I've used some of the lowest gears because the motor needs more help.

Ok, so as for the motor not assisting all the way to 15. It's how it works. PAS is more tied to a target speed for the bike. Sometimes it will overshoot it too when you get going so you'll find yourself going, maybe 15mph in one of the non-top assist level then you'll settle down to 12. There seems to be some other logic involved with the cadence also, so really high cadence may tell the bike you don't need as much assist because you're moving along fine, whereas if you are not spinning your legs as much the bike may translate that as you having a hard time so more assist? I don't really know, just a guess but I have notice cadence seems to have at least a little effect.

Back